Infested Soils....

• Thread starter cannabeans
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheFarmersSon

Just about any soil you can buy is likely to have some sort of bug/larvae. I would recommend adding BT(Mosquito Dunks/Bits, Gnatrol...etc) to your peat based medium as a preventative. :cool0019:

GrapeSwisher

GrapeSwisher

Ive gotten some fungus gnats in 2 separately bought bags of ffof. First ones were a lot bigger than the latter.

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

That sounds impractical, how long would it take to do a 200 gal grow bed? What about 4, or 8? 1600 gal @ 3 gal a time by 3 min intervals... Lol...

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

was talking with my buddy last night about the current bug problems being gifted to people. ive always used canna to great results but i feel like its only a matter of time before i crack a bag with bugs. i dont have a small grow, so nuking or baking a couple gallons at a time would take me forever.

what if i took the dry coir, put it in a zipping pillowcase or something like that, and then put a couple of those in the clothes dryer to heat them up and kill bugs. any thoughts on that?

another thought was takin a big 55gal drum and putting it over a heat source outside, making a coco/water slurry, and slowly bringing that up to proper temp. i dont live in the country so this might be a little difficult for me.

i read earlier in the thread someone recommended putting the bags into a freezer. i also have a chest freezer, would freezing the coco for a week be enough to kill eggs?

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Kenny, I think it would be much easier and cost effective to just pre treat your growing medium with met 52 every run if you're that worried about it.

dorjewright

dorjewright

Yeah, I had never heard of azomite being used for pest control either until I heard subcool emphasize it at school of dank. I gave it a shot and I'll be damned if it didn't work.[/QUOTEfor

What's the method for using azomite, how much etc?

PwnanObrien

PwnanObrien

Had an outbreak of fungus gnats a couple times.Always had good luck with Azatrol as a foliar, called the manufacturer and the guy told me it can also be used as a soil drench@ a tbsp/gallon. Knocked them out cold.Have since used this ratio multiple times, never any bad taste in the buds, no burn or lockout.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

I think the best bet is to pre-charge the media with a ton of the right benes (I'm about to order from Capulator here at the farm). BTI is the one that knocks out the gnats, and he also has one in there that some people think could be an effective mite solution. If no one beats me to it, I'll test and report back. Oh, and documented results on root aphids too.

Here's the thread:

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

folks used to steam soil to sterilize it but if it were me?, i'd use hydronic heating in a insulated box to cook the medium at 160*f for a day or so
guessing you could sanitize 10 yards for under a bone
pretty basic stuff

fwiw

K

kismat calyx

" Ive been told you can bring mites home from the grow shop just by touching the counter . So im back to mixing my own soil "

It's true you can bring unwanted pests home with you from the bags of soil that you buy. But you cannot bring mites home by touching the counter. Unless your sweater is made of plant material or soil :D I work in a grow store...My house would be full of pests if that were the case!

K

kismat calyx

I've found fungus gnats in roots organics original every time I've bought it.

You'll never find anything weird in coco, mojavegreen :)

Myco

Myco

You guys realize this is a 2 year old thread?

Always is a good thing to know which products are coming with pests, though.

For the record, every time I've had fungus gnats, it's because of a bag of coco. Coco is not immune to anything...

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Lol well I guess leave indoor to hydro guys and soil to outdoor guys....

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Got meally bugs from roots organics once .....gross they look like potatoe bugs but brown and slime up the stocks out to the stems ..There not after the buds ..but a honey looking slime they leave and sticky..Course of analation...91% alcohol and Q tips ...hit each one with it ....pain in the ass....haven't bought since...

Nugteq

Nugteq

I can confirm with certainty that Fox Farm COCO LOCO does indeed come pre gifted with Fungus Gnats. Soon as you water first time larvae spring to life.

Met52 precharge is standard practice in our grow.

Top Bottom