Information On Growing And Curing Project Help!

• Thread starter ockie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

ockie

Hello everyone! This is my first post on the forum and I was wondering if some experienced growers and enthusiasts could help me gather some information.The survey should take less than 5 mins and I think it can help a lot of beginner growers once I compile and sort the information and insights. If there are any other places people know of where I could get good feedback please let me know! Thanks for the help!
https://goo.gl/forms/l6oxP35gelrVVR8A3

O

ockie

I really want to know people's personal experiences with growing

O

ockie

I am mostly concerned with trying to find ways to accurately measure and keep track of cannabis during the entire grow process (potency, thca converting to thc, etc.). I would also like to know what annoying problems growers face today. If knowing their cannabis' scientific properties at any stage of the grow could help people produce better quality buds. What are the most important cannabis properties (levels of thc, thca, cbd, moisture, etc.) to take into account at every stage. For instance, wouldn't measuring the increase and decrease in potency determine when the bud is done curing? please fill out my survey if you haven't already! Thanks!

O

ockie

If you knew the buds property levels wouldn't it make high potency (advanced) farming available to everyone because they would know exactly when to start the next stage. I know there is a lot more skill and technique still required for great buds but this would definitely help people in the right direction. Right?

Bannacis

Bannacis

To compile such a list considering all the variables of different growers and different strains is going to be a 20 year project. if that....
Example of measuring potency... level of THC? CBD? THCA?...etc...etc. various levels and types of terpines.?...
THC can degrade on plant before even harvest...
Plus ensuring that the info you're getting is correct???
Cataloging strain type from peeps...Not really knowing if that is the correct strain or a knock off.

Just Saying that there is way too many unknown variables for it to be accurate.
Best to just put your time into growing and perfecting that.

Just my opinion... Good luck to you.

O

ockie

To compile such a list considering all the variables of different growers and different strains is going to be a 20 year project. if that....
Example of measuring potency... level of THC? CBD? THCA?...etc...etc. various levels and types of terpines.?...
THC can degrade on plant before even harvest...
Plus ensuring that the info you're getting is correct???
Cataloging strain type from peeps...Not really knowing if that is the correct strain or a knock off.

Just Saying that there is way too many unknown variables for it to be accurate.
Best to just put your time into growing and perfecting that.

Just my opinion... Good luck to you.
Im pretty sure you can track the plant thru it's stages based off of its chemical propertie levels. You wouldn't necessarily need to know the strain before hand. Plus knowing this could help you not degrade the potency because you would be able to track your plants process.

K

kansabis

You obviously are new to cannabis to begin with or you would understand that the trichomes and cannabinoids degrade while on the plants and new ones emerge. Do you even know how to test for these chemical properties? You would have to remove parts of the plant while it was growing to test these things and to be accurate it would need to be from multiple sites of each plant,not quite the best environment and treatment of plant to expect quality. Might need to go back to the drawing board or at least educate yourself alot more.

Organikz

Organikz

Well let's see...go to Cornell university agriculture and read it all. That's what I had to do to ascertain what you ask.

O

ockie

You obviously are new to cannabis to begin with or you would understand that the trichomes and cannabinoids degrade while on the plants and new ones emerge. Do you even know how to test for these chemical properties? You would have to remove parts of the plant while it was growing to test these things and to be accurate it would need to be from multiple sites of each plant,not quite the best environment and treatment of plant to expect quality. Might need to go back to the drawing board or at least educate yourself alot more.

Thank you for you're insight! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for! I just want to be put in the right direction that's all. I am currently a designer and I am trying to gain as much knowledge about this subject to help create products that can help all cannabis growers. On the other not back to your answer, I have taken into account that you would have to remove part of the plant. I am more focused now towards the drying and curing phases as these can be some of the trickiest steps for beginners (like me). I am trying to educate myself. just trying to help the community.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Howzit?

Lacking talent and having 2. black, thumbs I need tools for a successful harvest.
I weigh my girls with a postal scale. It tells me when, and how much to water.
An ounce of pest prevention beats chemical pollution of the buds. so I use as much prevention as I can.

Timing for flowering, and for harvesting are judgement calls using several indicators.
Scent is an excellent "tell" but requires experience.
The color and general appearance of the pistils and trichomes is helpful, as is the appearance of the main stem.
Even then, it's better to do a staggered harvest to get several variation of potency, medical effect, and side effects, from each plant.

Curing is easy with the proper tools.
I put one RH meter in the curing jar and another outside the jar. When the RH is >70% I leave them hanging.
If the ambient RH drops, I check for dryness by holding a bud, mid-stem and rotating the stem back and forth. If the bud snaps off clean, it's jar time.
If it "pulls a string", I hang it for a while longer.
I watch the meter in the jar and outside the jar to know when "burping" is indicated.
Then aim for ~59% humidity before storing.
I keep the jar in a cool, dark, place for a month or so before use.
For long term storage the jar is kept in a freezer to slow the decarb and CBN conversion.

It should be obvious by now that there are few, "cut and dried" answers to your survey approach.

Your best bet would be to read through the grow logs of the best growers on these site to see what they do. Then ask them why, yah?
And for real understanding, spend a few years growing your own. :)

Aloha,
Wee 'zard

Best of luck with it

K

kansabis

Hope I didn't come off like too much of an ass but it seemed like you were trying to do way too much without taking the proper time to learn and even ask the proper questions to gain the knowledge you need to pursue your endeavor. The answers you need/want can't be delivered by survey and the best answers come from within thru experience and not from anothers mouth.

O

ockie

No worries. My survey was more intended to gain information on the curing and drying process. I wanted to see what problems growers had the most and tackle the problem from there. I am rather trying to define a problem than just run in blind. I wanted to know if it was possible to incorporate the live raw biochemical analysis of the plant into the device so instead of relying on your senses (smell and how the plant looks) you would know when exactly your buds are at peak performance.

K

kansabis

Well that would depend on the "ripeness" to the person harvesting,with cannabis and many if not all other plants their is a window for harvest not a set time and this is affected by genetics and all other factors as well. Most vegetables and fruits harvested for sale at grocery stores are taken very early so that they can ripen in trucks and on shelves which isn't the best form of ripening. The trichomes on cannabis are much the same as they continue their process after harvest,drying and curing up until consumption. The make up of a plant at each week of flower time will be different and every week or even day to some extent after harvest will change as well. It's all part of a cycle/process we desperately want to fully understand and even at times think we are able to control and that's life. I think your best bet is to try to understand the processes that happen throughout the plants life and what they do and mean. Then come up with a way to explain and teach others or at least share your observations and that should make the impact I think your seeking.

K

kansabis

Everything in life is a long chain of motions/events that follow one another until they get to a certain point then it begins again. Big bang theory?? How about more than one big bang,actually a cycle of them every who knows how often. Lmao

Bannacis

Bannacis

There is quite a bit of info for drying and curing, a lot of variables come into play that affect this process.
The grower.___Everybody is different and even their understanding of how things work is different to some degree. Some details will be over looked or not noticed, that's just the way peeps are.
That means that two different growers can be doing everything exactly the same, But when they tell you the process you will get different info.
The best way to get your info and to know what to ask...Is to grow your self, do the drying and curing.
Before the drying and curing, is the harvest. This is a preference of the grower or his/hers customers.
Early cut for a heady up high or later for a more sedative buzz. or in the middle.
Then you have the density of the bud...fluffy or tight.
Some peeps will have the plant partially dry before cut.
Others will cut and put into freezer wet for later.
All that takes place in "their" environment. Temps, humidity, air quality... you will have all those variables and they fluctuate differently at each grow. Even the placement of the circular fan in the drying room can make a difference.
To test your product it will have to be sent to a lab...unless you have the skill and money for the equipment.
I don't think the testing during the growing/flowering process will help you. no machine is going to replace the experienced growers ability to harvest at right time.
There is a lot of info out there that can help you on when to harvest and how to dry and cure.
But its all mainly just a guide, to get you in the ball park. it's up to the grower to figure the rest out and hope it doesn't turn to hay.
I understand where you're coming from, It's a big task... baby steps... good luck

Top Bottom