Inline Venturi Valves And Undercurrent Feed Lines

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

I recently switched from using air pumps for a number of reasons and switched to fountains and waterfalls. The only thing is I think there is more to be added from air pumps than just DO. It seems one of their important roles is misting the roots above the waterline or getting roots to drop.

I'm in the middle of building my own venturi valve for my main pump and it got me thinking of free air bubbles.

Would it be possible to use the pressure from the main pump to run a venturi in each 2" pvc pipe connecting the buckets? So you have the main 2" pvc coming from the epi to the first two buckets. A few inches before the pipe enters the buckets install a venturi valve. Repeat doing this for each pipe and bucket and there you go.

Is that completely crazy or do you guys think it would work? It would be easy to throw a venturi in one of the pipes to test it out. The only concern would be, not enough pressure to create the difference needed for a venturi because the flow is split in half?

Hmmm!?

S

Shawnery

I just built one for the main epi.

I'm just wondering, do you think, there's enough pressure differential to create a venturi effect if placed in the pvc before each bucket?

It just seems obvious to me but if it was obvious it would probably be done.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I just built one for the main epi.

I'm just wondering, do you think, there's enough pressure differential to create a venturi effect if placed in the pvc before each bucket?

It just seems obvious to me but if it was obvious it would probably be done.

LOL. easy enough to test

last grow I added these on the inside of each tote

IMG 4222
IMG 4205
IMG 4203

S

Shawnery

I was wondering where you got your second rock basket idea from?

S

Shawnery

I wonder if that end cap your using would be as useful if it was placed at the end of each pvc entering the totes on the side with water entering ofccourse.

Or do you think it would need to be placed at the water level to have the optimal effect?

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Like most of the stuff I do, it comes from my mind. The large net pot inside each tote is partially filled with stones,. This provides an anchor for the roots, as well as some residual nutrient solution between ~ 2 hours floods

The Activ Aquas are positioned on the same tube that both floods and drains th nutrients bck to the rez (look a the picture)

H

heisen

I recently switched from using air pumps for a number of reasons and switched to fountains and waterfalls. The only thing is I think there is more to be added from air pumps than just DO. It seems one of their important roles is misting the roots above the waterline or getting roots to drop.

I'm in the middle of building my own venturi valve for my main pump and it got me thinking of free air bubbles.

Would it be possible to use the pressure from the main pump to run a venturi in each 2" pvc pipe connecting the buckets? So you have the main 2" pvc coming from the epi to the first two buckets. A few inches before the pipe enters the buckets install a venturi valve. Repeat doing this for each pipe and bucket and there you go.

Is that completely crazy or do you guys think it would work? It would be easy to throw a venturi in one of the pipes to test it out. The only concern would be, not enough pressure to create the difference needed for a venturi because the flow is split in half?

Hmmm!?
Not enough flow,water would leak out of the venturi,Venturis work on suction of a pipe that has a vent hole to actually suck air also.You would need alot of negative suction on the those pipes.Waterfalls are better for big systems with big totes but in smaller systems with little surface area to break the water due to a root mass at the top you wont see much of a difference.
Guess what though.Air stones work good to.Lots of people using them with pretty good success.Just plug the pump in the wall and forget about it.

S

Shawnery

Just considering free supply where ever it can come from.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Air Pumps pull air from the ambient air, which could have viruses, and definitely co2 which will affect pH

Latest posts

Top Bottom