Insect Frass Fertilizer

• Thread starter CannasaurusR
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannasaurusR

CannasaurusR

I read an article a couple years ago, extolling the virtues of Mealworm poop. Was an interesting piece, probably by a manufacturer, pushing the virtues of frass in an organic mix. Of course the claims are like an engine oil additive commercial lol, but there were some valid research and links etc. So I went on a computer search and found Better World plant food. Anybody use this? I couldn't find any other source and thru mail order it was 20 L for 400 hundred bucks!!!!! Expensive worm castings indeed, so screw it, it would be at least a benign additive, but that was a holy crap markup. On my travels in the great frozen north, I dropped into Canadian Tire (Cdn hardware superstore since the 1960) in the wilderness and saw bags of local insect frass, identical to Better World (unless they feed their bugs steroids or something) and get this, 12kg or 25 pounds for $22 cdn. thats like 30 cents american right? LOL no 20 bucks. The bag holds at least 30-40 liters its clean, low odour and only available in a couple of stores. I have never met the guy who makes it, and I don't know if he is still in business, but I can post a link if there is any interest. They ship thru mail too. I don't want to advertise for him (for free) but its a product I use and is cheap and natural. I can't vouch for any instant benefits but its versatile and it hasn't hurt me by any means.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

i had watched a documentry on nature of things or somethin glike that, and it was stated that the smaller the bug, the better the poop...never used any myself, but if it wasnt so expensive i would probably try some....but at the price your talking about...i think i need to stop by canadian tire next weekend :D

was looking on their website, but i dont see any...you have any links?

Last edited:
Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Seamaiden has her own colony of meal worms and makes her own frass. Seems fairly easy.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Seamaiden has her own colony of meal worms and makes her own frass. Seems fairly easy.
insect frass can come from any bug, not just meal worms...but the general rule with frass is, the smaller the bug the better the poop(for our gardens that is)...i remember mike rowe did a dirty jobs episode on a cricket farm...was an interesting episode

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
insect frass can come from any bug, not just meal worms...but the general rule with frass is, the smaller the bug the better the poop(for our gardens that is)...i remember mike rowe did a dirty jobs episode on a cricket farm...was an interesting episode
This is true, but mealworms have a special place because of their preference for hard vegetables only, and dry living conditions. It makes separating the frass from their bedding and food stupid easy, you just use a sufficiently sized sifter. Gotta feed 'em? Toss in some broccoli stalks, carrots, potatoes. Not cooked, just cut up. Bedding is wheat bran.

Crickets have a funky smell that I don't care for, and can make a much stickier mess. They are also FAR more adept at escape than mealworms. Just as with all animals we use for our own purposes, some are better suited than others, that's really my main point.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

agree 100% with ya sea...it has to be a balance between good poop, and ease of use(or in this case care for the little buggers)...and just like some ppl are willing to pay more than others for the same product just because of brand/label....some ppl would rather put in more work than less thinking they are getting a better product, the difference is more work usually does mean better outcome....but alas i am a lazy fucker who smokes too much weed, so i try and balance myself from not paying too much and putting in good work too lol....i just dont have space to care for bugs, the only free space i got is my living quarters lol

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm a lazy bitch! My bugs live in Yoshi the leopard gecko's old aquarium.

T

toquer

There's a place in Compton that sells dog food sized bags of meal worm frass for 4 bucks a bag. I throw that shit on everything, it's like Franks Red Hot.

CannasaurusR

CannasaurusR

There's a place in Compton that sells dog food sized bags of meal worm frass for 4 bucks a bag. I throw that shit on everything, it's like Franks Red Hot.
Awesome man, these little gems are around (small guys). My wife is my excuse for no indoor vermicomposter or insect farm. Franks red hot....LOL .good one toquer. Lots of this kinda stuff is made by someone who cares and care what goes into the bugs...good in=good out.

slausongardens

slausongardens

How much are u supposed to put per cf? I assume u could put a lot in and be just fine, like one cf to 8 cf soil. I have a lot and I think ima throw about 8 pounds into about 10 cf of soil. Any suggestions?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
1C/1'cu sounds about right to me, too. Here's the thing, even if 1C/1'cu is too much, I seriously doubt it would hurt the plants. I have yet to burn or cause problems using it.

keiksweat

keiksweat

hey
I raise mealworms for my chickens, their frass is a lovely adjunct. They are STUPID easy to raise, easier and cleaner than earthworms. Consider setting yourself up with a colony.
@Seamaiden any pics of your mealworm farm,colony, and any info on your set-up would be great if you have time plz.thanks sea,didn't know it was something possible to do,especially on a small scale.thanks again.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh... no, I haven't taken any pix. It's a 30 gallon glass aquarium that was set up for a leopard gecko so it's got a screen top that slides on. Mealworms need to be kept DRY, above all else. The screen keeps certain other bugs from setting up shop but a couple of times I've gotten some kind of moth in there that made its own grubs.

I bed the worms in wheat bran, an inch or two, and feed them stuff like carrots and potatoes and broccoli stems.

The biggest pain (can't recall if I posted about this or not) is sifting the frass out. It causes me a very severe allergic reaction, one of the worst I've ever experienced, literally makes me ill. So covering the face and nose is probably the best idea for anyone else who may have allergies.

This can probably be done in a plastic bin, just be sure it's never sealed tight so moisture is allowed to escape.

HTH! :)

Top Bottom