Is 1000w Led Too Intense?

• Thread starter V420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
m8ty

m8ty

Would it be okay to take that light out of my tent and get a couple of white LED flood lights to veg them for a few more weeks so they can grow up and then when I switch to flower throw in the big LED again?

how much did you pay for that LED that you have now?

m8ty

m8ty

I would like to point out how Toaster79 plants are reaching for the light, that's when you know your lights are at the right distance from your plants, if your plant's leaf are down trying to hide from the light then the light is too close, and if you can't raise the light any further, then you got the wrong light for your grow space, and BTW, as noob growers this is the common mistake we all make, we end up buying the wrong equipment, J.S.

V

V420

how much did you pay for that LED that you have now?

It cost about 140$ Canadian . I haven't raised as high as it can possibly go in my tent. I'm really hoping that my plants are just slowly recovering from the bad pH a few weeks ago and things will pick up soon.

V

V420

I would like to point out how Toaster79 plants are reaching for the light, that's when you know your lights are at the right distance from your plants, if your plant's leaf are down trying to hide from the light then the light is too close, and if you can't raise the light any further, then you got the wrong light for your grow space, and BTW, as noob growers this is the common mistake we all make, we end up buying the wrong equipment, J.S.

LOL, so very true . I did lots of reading and watched many many videos before I started buying things but you still make lots of mistakes in the beginning. When I first started I wasn't paying attention to the water temps and that got to be a bit of a problem but I have sorted that out and been maintaining a reservoir temperature between 70 and 65 now. I guess you live and you learn I'll just not tell my wife that I'm buying a new light.

Reactions: DGP
MissBotany

MissBotany

How far are your lights from the canopy? According to your LED specifications, the ideal height for PAR would be to have your light 72" from the canopy.

Last edited:
MissBotany

MissBotany

The light is about three and a half feet above the plants.

According to your LED specifications, the ideal height for PAR would be to have your light 72" from the canopy. I would say, get your light high up as possible and see how they grow. Since LEDs are newer, there is a lot of trial and error. Each brand of LED manufacturer has different height recommendations. I have a 600watt LED, and mine are 18" from the canopy.

*I just checked the black version of your light and that one says to keep it 18"-24" from your canopy. So who knows. I'd say just keep it where it is!

Last edited:
V

V420

Here are some pics, to me they seem healthy but what do I know? My light has been as high as possible for pretty much the last month.

IMG 20180323 201230
IMG 20180323 201224
IMG 20180323 201215
DGP

DGP

Those plants look like some I have in my veg tent that are trying to re-veg. Mine got stressed and tried to flower even though the lights were on 18/6 and they didn't quite "show" flower but continued on in the miniature mode for several weeks before they really took off. Is there a possibility these ones somehow are trying to re-veg? Mine were very, very miniaturized and produced a lot of 3 finger leaves and then someone pointed it out to me and sure enough they had been trying to re-veg.

V

V420

Those plants look like some I have in my veg tent that are trying to re-veg. Mine got stressed and tried to flower even though the lights were on 18/6 and they didn't quite "show" flower but continued on in the miniature mode for several weeks before they really took off. Is there a possibility these ones somehow are trying to re-veg? Mine were very, very miniaturized and produced a lot of 3 finger leaves and then someone pointed it out to me and sure enough they had been trying to re-veg.

All I've been doing is vegging them, I haven't tried to flower them yet Tho I did notice some 3 finger leaves but that was a few weeks ago. I think I'm going to switch my lights out for something else. I have one in mind . It's not a famous brand but it seems to have good specs and a long lifespan.. Anyone have any suggestions for about the same cost or even a little more. I've looked into building my own and I just don't feel that comfortable and would rather just buy a complete light .

DGP

DGP

I didn't try to flower either they just did it on their own from stress. Since it was not visible I didn't realize it until someone who had seen this issue before pointed it out to me.

V

V420

I didn't try to flower either they just did it on their own from stress. Since it was not visible I didn't realize it until someone who had seen this issue before pointed it out to me.
Ahhhh I see, it's very possible. They have had to deal with a fair amount of stress as this is my first grow.. So what can I do in this situation ? Just try to make sure everything stays as perfect as possible and no more stress?

DGP

DGP

Ahhhh I see, it's very possible. They have had to deal with a fair amount of stress as this is my first grow.. So what can I do in this situation ? Just try to make sure everything stays as perfect as possible and no more stress?

If that is the issue, then yes just wait it out. Unfortunately if that is what happened then it sets you back 3-4 weeks...that is the painful part.

Also, on the lights these marketers (ie snake oil salesman) just flat out lie and use deceptive techniques to convince you their lights are the most advanced. Terms like "8 band" or "Full spectrum" are your first clue they are dirtbags. Just cause its on Amazon doesn't mean it isn't garbage and they take advantage of that. Amazon seems to be selling quantum boards now which have a good reputation but the typical china imported light in a metal housing is pretty much crap.

Full spectrum would be white light, like the sun not blue and red which equals purple or pink (blurple).

Dee

DGP

DGP

BTW, here is a excerpt of one of my crazy rants about deceptive LED specifications and in regards to a claim of "full spectrum":
"I used to work in the solid state LED lighting industry. Our company used to design custom COBs at the chip level. We produced lighting systems that could produce 8,000 watts of light (not equivalent light but 8KW from the wall). I have been an optical engineer. "Full Spectrum" is White light just as the sun appears to light things around us most of the day (yeah a little redder at sunrise and sunset). White light contains fairly equal levels of most colors and when you combine most colors together you get white. When have you ever gone outside and seen that funky pink or even Blurple outside in the Summer or any other season? The answer is never.

Cannabis still grows better and produces more outside in the sun than it does in any indoor grow. The sun just never shines blue and red only, never.

So, until we understand all the true effects of light on plants, I am staying with the philosophy of using light that is as equivalent as the sun (white) as we can strive for. If plants needed just blue and red then the system wouldn't waste so much energy producing all those other colors if there were no purpose. These pink lights would then by far outproduce more white balanced light and we would all be using them and writing and posting pictures showing that reality. Pink and blurple lights will grow plants but its not optimum.

LEDs are rated in CRI (color rendition Index) the lights you are talking about have a CRI of about 39 and an HPS about the same where an good quality of COB is at least 80 but more and more they are coming out with 90, 95 and 97. That means it is 95 % as accurate in color as the sun or as compared to a certain standard tungsten light that appears natural. I use 90 CRI LEDs myself and am lovin the results. Just look up some physics material on the web in regards to the color of sunlight.

"Full Spectrum" is a term the cheapo light manufacturers co-opted to sell lighting. However, I guess that depends on what one defines as "full spectrum"."

Dee

DGP

DGP

Here are some clones I have that tried to take themselves into flower but never fully showed flower but then went thru this process of re-vegging. They never saw 12/12 but just 18/6. They stressed out because it took a long time to get roots going and they almost died before decent roots popped. Apparently that stress took them into the "Flower to save ourselves" mode. Apparently they do this to insure survival and to desperately try to reproduce before they die....

Note the 3 leaflet and 5 leaflet smallish leaves as well as some distortion in the leaves. This one is just coming out of the re-veg process near as I can tell:
20180323 205304

20180323 205258

One that has returned to a somewhat normal growth pattern:
20180323 205327

45North

45North

I have spectrum controls and that is too much blue.
Put that sucker outside and get blown away. Tree

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Roots look fine.

$200 aren't gonna get you far if you want quality led light even if you build it yourself.

This light will get you to the finish line no doubt as long as you dont make mistakes which is gonna be pretty hard for a first time in hydro. But wish you all the best.
Maybe 4x QB132 = $133 USD (no heatsink needed)
1x Meanwell LRS-360-36 driver $40 (one can drive all 4 in parallel)
Fishing leaders Hangers, wagos, misc BS = $25
$200 or there abouts and 30 minutes time (no soldering unless you want to)
These are about the most efficient lights out there today.
2nd shot is a QB288 (135watts actual) that cost about $200 assembled..or save $25 and DIY.
QB 1 20 181
Quantum 135w

V

V420

I love the wealth of info thank you everyone. Is it difficult to build your own light? I'd like to think I'm a handy guy but when it comes to electrical I'm not too sure of myself. Are there any lights worth buying that are good to go out of the box for a somewhat reasonable cost? Tho I'm going to start watching some videos on building your own light.

Top Bottom