Is Anyone Using Oco Labs' Superc Co2 Extraction Machine For Cannabis?

• Thread starter CannaOilGirl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CannaOilGirl

Hi Kam,

I just finished an extraction of 25.16g of material, which was reported as testing at 18%THC. I got 4.5ml of output. I pushed a little too hard, and got a drop of chlorophyll before I stopped. I will take a sample for testing as soon as I can, and will update then.

I'm not sure why my oil looks like this after extraction, but after several days it will settle into an oil-look. I think it is microscopic bubbles, but I don't know for sure. I'll watch the level and see if it truly is bubbles and whether their absence affects the yield volume.

Enjoy!

20180721 210015
M

Mak

Hi Kam,

That looks like you got some great medicine. Congratulations! (The medicine I extract myself tastes better to me than the commercial stuff, and I think it helps me more -- but that might all be in my head.)

Your new rig looks quite nice and I find your collection-vessel redesign interesting. Tell me more about that, please. What is the extra hose doing (the one bent back onto itself, with the exit in the water)? Is that a bleed-off into the water? How did that work out? Was there oil in the water afterward? Were you able to recover it? I hadn't thought of trying to process the exiting gas like that. My mug-warmer with stretchy-rubber lid was just designed to slow the escape of the gas, passing tightly between the warm vessel and rubber, to capture the oil on the inside. Before I realized I should be heating it, I would sometimes see a white vapor cloud of transitioning gas escaping (especially from the provided vessel), so I heated it and now the gas escapes transparently (a lot less dense gas, means less oil escaping, I think/hope).

The collection vessel is just an ordinary small jam jar with a 2 piece lid that I drilled two 1/2" holes on it. The blueish hose you see is the exhaust. I thought I can further slow down the escaping CO2 by sticking the exhaust hose back into water, but it didn't go too well because water started to spill out and a made a little mess, so i just redirected the hose upwards instead. I noticed that by keeping the collection vessel in a warm bath, I'm able to capture most of the oil before the CO2 escapes, thus loosing very minuscule amounts during the escape. So I agree with you that transparent gas equals less oil escaping.

I purchased my second tank after I was doing a run and ran out of gas in the middle of it. The stress and anxiety of that made the purchase make sense. Lol -- I didn't want that to happen again. I also found that the tank gets quite cold during an extraction, so the output pressure may drop below the required 800psi minimum. I wrapped my tank in an electric blanket to keep the pressure up, and it helps me get more CO2 out of it. I was having to throw away many pounds of CO2 because the tank has to be empty to fill, but when the tank gets low, the pressure drops.

Yea, I noticed that also. The pressure does seem to drop a bit when the tank gets cold. I'll definitely wrap a small electric blanket.

When I load the reaction chamber, I don't grind my material beforehand. I just remove the stems and drop it into the tube, tapping it down lightly. I usually can get around 26g of material in each run. The directions indicate that if it's packed too tightly, some areas get shielded from extraction, so I keep it slightly loose (tight, but not packed). I only mention this to point out differences in our process -- so we can develop investigation points for quantity and quality experimentation. How are you weighing your material? I am going to start measuring exactly how much material I am putting in the tube, so I'll be able to stop saying, "...around 26g...." LOL The scale I was using (my roommate's Weight Watchers scale, <snicker>) wasn't very accurate, so I purchased a better one.

Through my research, I've learned that the size of the material has a big impact on the efficiency of the extraction process. Too big of a size and CO2 wont dissolve the essentials in time, too small and packed and CO2 will not reach everything. Seems to be a just a matter of getting the art of packing correctly. I watched some of Eden labs videos on YouTube and they recommend particle size of between 1-3mm. Next time I will do 26g with 1-3mm sizes and not packed down too tightly. Let me know what your average particle size is. I'm weighing my material using a digital scale.

Did you get very much oil during the reversed 45 minute extraction? I wasn't sure about that part of the plan, and I actually meant to write 15 minutes for the tube reversal (sorry). My schedule changed, so I think I'm going to run an extraction tonight or tomorrow. More later on that.

Honestly, I don't know if I got much oil. I observed some oil still pushing down the side of the glass jar but again dont know how much it could have been. Let me know if you got the same results from the 15min reversed as you did from the 45min reversed.

As for the heating temperatures, I assumed that the temperatures (as displayed and as needed) were approximate. I read somewhere that the range for THC extraction using this equipment is between 57C and 68C, so nature is looking for approximates, and the device has a target temperature it maintains. This means, if you set it to 60C, it'll fluctuate a few degrees in both directions as the heating element cycles.

Yes I agree, nature is looking for approximates, however, when I set the device to 63C and pointed my laser termometer to the top (above) of chamber I get almost 72C at the midpoint of the chamber and 63-64C at the ends of the chamber which got me wondering what is going on.

I think I recognize your blue heating plate -- is that the one with magnetic stirring capability? I think I bought that very one several months ago, and returned it (I feel like it was broken, but the seller didn't seem to think so). I found it beyond difficult to get it to do what I needed, and when I did, it didn't do it very well, so I returned it. I'm sure it's fine for this, though -- it only needs to provide a little heat. You don't need the water hot, just above room temperature. The gas is going to be cooling the collection vessel constantly, so the temperature of the plate isn't as important as the temperature of the water. Basically, if the water is frozen, it needs to be warmer. :) The water around the collection keeps the vessel "protected" from rapid temp changes. To increase temperatures, you have to heat all of the water, and that mass' energy doesn't change that quickly.

Yes it is a magnetic hot plate. Working fine so far :). It does a great job holding the water temp between 49-50C.

SOrry for the late reply, been busy. But I received better medicine and will be doing couple of more next week :) I think I will be spending more time on the Terpene extraction, more like 30 mins. Will reduce the THC reversed tube step to 30mins. Will let you know what I decide on. In the mean time, let me know how your extraction went and any new findings.

Cheers

COG

M

Mak

Hi COG,

My last reply did not come post correctly, so here it is again

The collection vessel is just an ordinary small jam jar with a 2-piece lid that I drilled two 1/2" holes on it. The blueish hose you see is the exhaust. I thought I can further slow down the escaping CO2 by sticking the exhaust hose back into the water, but it didn't go too well because water started to spill out and a made a little mess, so I just redirected the hose upwards instead. I noticed that by keeping the collection vessel in a warm bath, I'm able to capture most of the oil before the CO2 escapes, thus loosing very minuscule amounts during the escape. So, I agree with you that transparent gas equals less oil escaping.

Yea, I noticed that also. The pressure does seem to drop a bit when the tank gets cold. I'll definitely wrap a small electric blanket.

Through my research, I've learned that the size of the material has a big impact on the efficiency of the extraction process. Too big of a size and CO2 won’t dissolve the essentials in time, too small and packed and CO2 will not reach everything. Seems to be a just a matter of getting the art of packing correctly. I watched some of Eden labs videos on YouTube and they recommend particle size of between 1-3mm. Next time I will do 26g with 1-3mm sizes and not packed down too tightly. Let me know what your average particle size is. I'm weighing my material using a digital scale.

Honestly, I don't know if I got much oil in the last 15 mins. I observed some oil still pushing down the side of the glass jar but again don’t know how much it could have been. Let me know if you got the same results from the 15min reversed as you did from the 45min reversed.

Yes, I agree, nature is looking for approximates, however, when I set the device to 63C and pointed my laser thermometer to the top (above) of the chamber I get almost 72C at the midpoint of the chamber and 63-64C at the ends of the chamber which got me wondering what is going on.

Yes, it is a magnetic hot plate. Working fine so far. It does a great job holding the water temp between 49-50C.

SOrry for the late reply, been busy. But I received better medicine and will be doing a couple of more next week. I think I will be spending more time on the Terpene extraction, more like 30 mins. Will reduce the THC reversed tube step to 30mins. Will let you know what I decide on. In the meantime, let me know how your extraction went and any new findings.

C

CannaOilGirl

Hi Kam,

Sorry for the long delay in my response. Things got really busy, so I haven't had time to report. My last two runs were okay, as before, but I do not like the cloudiness in the extract. I didn't test them, but they were good for the dosing.

My energy has gone into studying various technical documents (patents, discussions of large-scale operations, chemistry, etc...). I think my set points are slightly off ideal. I haven't found good set points for CBG nor CBN, so I'm going to stop trying to extract those until I have more details on those compounds. I bought bio-matrix that is higher in CBD than others, so I'm going to focus on just CBD and THC for the next run, and hopefully get a batch worthy of testing.

I'm remodeling my lab (I've been working in a very cramped space). When I've made some progress, I'll send pictures of my new set up, and the results of my next runs. It is going to be soon, because I'm starting to run low on my medication, but I'll be remodeling this week, so I probably won't do another batch until next weekend, or the weekend after that.

Cheers,
COG

C

CannaOilGirl

I have done two extractions since my last post. Each was medically a "good batch," but the oil produced isn't a clear, golden oil -- it is cloudy. I've attached an image of my typical output. The good news for me is that whatever gives it that color and cloudiness disappears as I vape it. Maybe I'm making wax particles? The heat of the vaporizer seems to melt it as expected (I can reuse the vaporizer for multiple loadings, so it doesn't appear to gunk up the coil-works).

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be...well, more importantly, how to prevent it? My extraction settings for THC have varied between 60-68C and 3k-3.2k psi, and I always get this bright yellow cloudy-appearance to my oil. While I'm extracting, there is a yellow, soft-buttery-looking 'cream' coming out of the extraction nozzle. This cream settles into the collection vessel and begins to melt into oil as it warms to room temperature and pressure. Some of the "butter," remains suspended in the oil.

Thanks for any ideas, speculations, or information.

20180902 135557

R

robsanhi

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be...well, more importantly, how to prevent it?

Hi CannaOilGirl,

Thanks for all your posts. I am about to buy a Super C. Just wondering if you winterized these last 2 runs. If you are getting waxes, then an ethanol wash will remove them. I hope that is all it takes to fix. :) Have you winterized any of your runs?

R

rubisgsa

I dont think she did I have been following this thread closely for a while now. I am seriously considering buying one of these as well.

M

Mak

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be...well, more importantly, how to prevent it? My extraction settings for THC have varied between 60-68C and 3k-3.2k psi, and I always get this bright yellow cloudy-appearance to my oil. While I'm extracting, there is a yellow, soft-buttery-looking 'cream' coming out of the extraction nozzle. This cream settles into the collection vessel and begins to melt into oil as it warms to room temperature and pressure. Some of the "butter," remains suspended in the oil.

Hi COG,

I have been away for a little while now traveling. I hope the new construction of the lab is coming along and would love to see some pictures and improvement ideas :)

Currently, I'm working on a collection vessel because I estimated that there is a loss of 0.5ml due to cold CO2 escaping and not warming in time. I don't know if you're still using the same design for your or not but let me know if have any suggestions.

My last two extractions were 3.82ml and 4.5ml from 25g, Sativa and a hybrid strains, both lab tested at 15% THC and >.5% CBD. Not bad but still not close to your results. As I said, I'm losing yield due to escaping CO2 and I believe my CO2 tank needs to be upgraded. I use 2 x 10lbs tanks and I noticed that the pressure drops drastically near the last 45mins.

My yield is coming out very clear so I'm not sure what you changed from the last time that affected the clarity.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

C

CannaOilGirl

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be...well, more importantly, how to prevent it?

Hi CannaOilGirl,

Thanks for all your posts. I am about to buy a Super C. Just wondering if you winterized these last 2 runs. If you are getting waxes, then an ethanol wash will remove them. I hope that is all it takes to fix. :) Have you winterized any of your runs?
Hi Robsanhi,

I am so sorry, I totally missed your comments in your quote.

No, I do not use ethanol in my process at all. I don't winterize I guess, because I don't use ethanol and that's the only way I know to winterize. What would winterizing do in this case? Are you recommending it? How would I go about doing it without ethanol?

I am totally new to this process, so any educational bits you can share will be appreciated. Thank you.

As for the wax, I've shown several others what I extract and they all agree that it is wax floating in the oil. My ceramic coil C-Cell cartridges easily vaporize the wax, so it really isn't an issue, as far as I can tell.

Congratulations on the new purchase!

R

robsanhi

Hi COG,

Winterizing will remove the waxes. It's a pretty simple process. Take your extract and soak it in 190 proof ethanol (everclear or similar works fine) at a ratio of 10% extract to ethanol (ex. 80 grams extract and 720 g of ethanol = total wt of 800 g). Make sure extract dissolves completely in ethanol and then stick in freezer at 0°F for 48 hrs. Then filter out the waxes with a buchner funnel and vacuum. Then evaporate the ethanol. Ok, maybe not that simple :).

To evaporate the ethanol, you need a rotary evaporator or similar device. I chose the similar device by Extract craft, via a recommendation from OCO rep. Haddon Hall. But hey if the waxes don't bother you, all g.

Here's the link:
http://www.extractcraft.com/ They have two devices that will do the job.

Setting my Super C up tonight! Results to follow.

C

CannaOilGirl

Hi Kam,

I'm glad you had safe travels and have returned. Welcome back!

...hope the new construction of the lab is coming along and would love to see some pictures...

I have emptied the room I intend to use for the "laboratory". I'm cleaning off my work table in the garage and, when I can get help moving it into the lab, I'll get set-up quite quickly and pay some photos then.

Currently, I'm working on a collection vessel because I estimated that there is a loss of 0.5ml due to cold CO2 escaping and not warming in time. I don't know if you're still using the same design for your or not but let me know if have any suggestions.

I have changed my design only slightly. I'll describe my setup from the top (output port) to the bottom (work table), and I'd be surprised if you notice what changed.

I started by wrapping an Easy-Heat pipe heating cable around the silicone tube coming out of the output port, to reduce the tendency for the port and the tube to freeze-up. This stays on, heating the tube during the entire extraction.

Almost immediately below the heat-cable, the 1/2" OD silicone tube passes through a silicone grommet that has been mounted (sealed with liquid silicone rubber) into a silicone sheet.

The silicone sheet is draped over a 50ml Pyrex collection beaker and has previously been cut-to-fit over the breaker with enough overlap to allow it to be secured to the breaker with several rubber bands (wrapped tightly around the silicone sheet, under the glass rim of the beaker). This provides a tight-ish seal that the gas will need to push through to escape. During operation, the silicone covering inflates a bit, as if breathing, when the gas squeezes between the glass and sheet. I think that provides the gas a little more time to warm-up and expand within the confines of the vessel to drop its golden goodness.

The collection vessel (50ml beaker) is sitting in a water-filled Pyrex bowl, which is on a mug/cup warmer (on the work table). I've found that the cup warmer isn't strong enough at the higher pressures, so I'm looking for a more powerful desktop heater that will fit under the assembly. All of this heat not only prevents the freezing of the assembly, but provides heat to the gas as it escapes so it's "encouraged" to drop the oil before leaving the vessel.

I hope that makes sense, and helps.

My last two extractions were 3.82ml and 4.5ml from 25g, Sativa and a hybrid strains, both lab tested at 15% THC and >.5% CBD. Not bad but still not close to your results. As I said, I'm losing yield due to escaping CO2 and I believe my CO2 tank needs to be upgraded. I use 2 x 10lbs tanks and I noticed that the pressure drops drastically near the last 45mins.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

It sounds like you are getting about the same output from yours as I am getting. I usually get about exactly what you are reporting, 3.8 - 4.5 ml per extraction of roughly 25g of plant with around 20% total medicine. Mine comes with a little wax, but is also very effective medicine, so that isn't a concern of mine.

I think I mentioned this, but I am using two 20lb tanks, and I wrap the working tank in an electric heating blanket. This helps keep the pressure in the tank high enough during the entire extraction.

I am still working in my messy, cramped, little lab, but I'll be doing a batch this weekend that I'm going to try to get tested (my challenge is driving the 45 minutes across town to drop a sample at the testing facility, and then drive 45 minutes back home). It's time for me to do it again, though. :) I'll update the thread with the results, when I get them.

More later.

R

robsanhi

Hi Everyone,

Woohoo, got my first run done! I went for the combo package, and ran this extraction on the expansion rack. Much to my dismay, you cannot run the Super C chamber simultaneously with the expansion rack. However, in the instructions, it says the rack will hold 140 g. So that will be good in future runs if I can pack that much. This run was smaller, only 76 g. It was a strain that I made by crossing Snoops Dream and S.A.G.E. that we call Woodstock. I didn't test it, but I'm guessing it's a solid 15%. So my theoretical yield would be 11.4 grams. And the final weight was 12 grams! Most likely the Woodstock is a little stronger than 15%. Based on the weight of the herb, I ran the cycle at 90 min. per oz. @50°C and 3000 psi. Total run time was just over 4 hrs. After the first 2 hrs I already had 10 g, and only 12 at end of 4 hrs.

Here is a pic:
GgNjm4VtkmtlZ4ew8oavNO1_My80IY9U8qQTOcjoLJw-occkIItBUDKQhPV3-Gt677ESEgz8lqq53KDH5Y1Z7qHQDzMI5KQfNLBUSlDJD7u2A8f1no-nVT6JVJ-Hj9mRdDSDp93bw65MrXxCCkEzt1tgT6VsXWXRH1WZ6uB_qbvoRpivEn82TtKYDj_4j0LuG6oru9zCL-zNN7PYnGY5KfLtJJQZm64DxjxGA2WmeCJBTVU_htywaHSP3FVplOZ8c8zSzOb85RuGXPZtg01X0xSBgMV03ughLkxjkwQV-hhDHiud7IBDru2N3M5DkCm-DVgZLJwvoCz2-Jv9I9SFJWdo7U9snENoTRnSGYOZASd3rB3tVzwYBnQbQ0Pl3x66fmZfeDPJf9O-pFDsrArXeQpjkpzVbrkZ7ghltaHTwPnJPwnKyJus5haTo9WAOqN1_cD3QqfIxaKyCNyz1rMi5KeVWSsqklwkbx0Nsg1zU9Etdzz0JipItpGBxwh6Sf7xWrGUl6rcFve3Cyvr6P8wOc4vgH0OlS_--naFb0EOSVYFBpns1Mu_I91lo5X-sKVzHd36DDpPfzpCcftAkGHzOzv-NCqS2W_4B0OmA9wFpyfzrp0LMUnf7XuBjc8V2uE=w536-h952-no

and another:
rqtS9eQ334Nd-yuhUhxNwDRbckE5iwr3v6IlkhXK2EZ79Kc0V4VgaJBUbhKpA2AigtoldX_hbgb0WEgvAD8D4LllY7r9nLUAFSW7HQWH0eR5I2u0c1c6g-N-EZJvmvwypdXPEYr5KPHLG48aJFdQ4q6sz4XX05M0boSH8iFIgoYBMlLqnSDOh1l1ukeviJe0UQm-GqF_uyLvbsFub1qJuyW4psBhuwda00u-tXIoHSOsQzragURsi5-GRKLE2ingUxC8YjyLlxQDpUMIUJXrTy1sBud573WkH9lYnxqtz-K0UqjbUYkMQjfMX4pt9-FwAWRQ1ChN0YE9K74QbqlVFcyWS5HVdcr1K40h48NUcWPfrH1wijhFfPyzr2U2MXX2V8sHwdrWFXfHXbeTH2Pt_2kDQNHJKJM8C3aueZVn3wfjGJf18_IindgYW4nzvxWdW_1oYBBVyF3hJ9Dc4BDqW_CmDhfGSJmqPLEbAV5cSBosuof-aa3GorRTRKlcGS00QTuLcczghhD2M0nERnqeJxXo8i-5WMQ82GPaboQ8qj2YspTFT5tPGwF8PMyCojUzZ8VfHU6i3tlaJOFTP1WduvIpYwpfgJlYjLLOVAUu6PrZW6-ZgaUHNn3ILuimsV0=w536-h952-no

C

CannaOilGirl

Hi COG,

Winterizing will remove the waxes. It's a pretty simple process. Take your extract and soak it in 190 proof ethanol (everclear or similar works fine) at a ratio of 10% extract to ethanol (ex. 80 grams extract and 720 g of ethanol = total wt of 800 g). Make sure extract dissolves completely in ethanol and then stick in freezer at 0°F for 48 hrs. Then filter out the waxes with a buchner funnel and vacuum. Then evaporate the ethanol. Ok, maybe not that simple :).

Setting my Super C up tonight! Results to follow.

Hi Robsanhi,

Thank you for this information. What do I gain by winterizing? Are the waxes detrimental in any way? I figured if they vaporized, and the medicine was in there, it wouldn't matter.

Thanks for your help.

I see your first run was successful. That jar looks delicious. Awesome.

Cheers,
COG

C

CannaOilGirl

anyone ever hear of the f10 shoebox compressor? looks very familiar

Wow, that does look familiar. The Shoebox Compressor has almost nothing onboard to make CO2 cannabis extractions, but the design is so similar, I'll bet the devices were designed by the same people, or copied (or licensed) from each other. I'll bet this was the starting-point from which OCO Labs made enhancements.

Interesting find. Thanks.

H

HBHemp

I have only run one flower, so I was very conservative in the length of my run -- only 45 minutes for THC. I managed to extract 4.5ml of oil. Once I get the test results back (by the end of the week, I was promised), I'm going to make adjustments to try to improve the amount and the strength.
What are you running at?

R

robsanhi

What do I gain by winterizing? Are the waxes detrimental in any way? I figured if they vaporized, and the medicine was in there, it wouldn't matter.

-- From what I have learned, winterizing removes the waxes. So if the waxes are no problem for your vape carts, then no need. I'm pretty sure most commercial oils are done this way for product consistency between batches.

D

Drederick

Hello Everyone,

I came across this thread and I wanted to share a collection configuration that has worked quite well for me when using the SuperC and Expansion Rack. I used to run only the SuperC when it first came out and I quickly learned that collecting the extract can be very difficult with the silicone hose and flask. Also when using only the one ounce chamber the extract exits the system very close to the cooling fan. I ran the system several times a day when I first got it and quickly there was extract and dust on the grill of the cooling fan and getting into the system.

When using the Expansion Rack I can now get the extract as far away from the compressor as possible and I use two ball jars with plastic lids and the old silicone hose (Yes that damn hose is still in my life!!) as a link between the two jars to catch excess extract. The hose does clog usually once or twice during a 10 hour run but I usually am lubricating the compressor every two hours anyways, and catch the issue easily. I also use a small piece of silicone tubing to act as a grommet between the brass hose mount and first jar the extract collects in so I don't get any over spray around the valve.

One last this I did is install a 6" inline fan as well as some ducting and fittings from Home Depot to act as a make-shift vent hood. Any tiny bit of extract mist that doesn't get contained in the second jar gets sucked through the vent tube and goes up a chimney. Before I used the fan, over the course of months extract would build up around the area I was working in and I would have to clean more frequently ( I am very particular about my clean work space). My goal is always to keep the system as clean as possible so I get as many hours out of the compressor components as I can(I currently run my system 40-50 hours a week). One last benefit to the exhaust fan is that due to the room temperature air moving past the cold collection jars it slightly warms them and reduces dry ice build-up. I used to heat the first jar but I like the end result with my current set-up better because it keeps the extract as light and fresh as possible.

Top Bottom