Is It Fair To Say That, Every Branch Reduces Cola Size?

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bicky studs

bicky studs

That's a dumb answer.you are not a plant.if we cut off your head and dip it in rooting powder and stick your neck in Rockwood it won't grow roots,so there's that :facepalm:
Single cola plants do normally make bigger colas ime,but my yields go up when I have 30plus tops.
only cause no1s got ripped enough to fk an axolotl yet:banghead:
IMG 2096

G gnome

G gnome

I honestly think theres a very simple answer to the op's question. Yes. If u took 2 clones of the same plant, kept them in identical conditions and the only difference is topped one to produce more branches than the other....the one that was not topped wud have a less amount of larger colas. Scrogging, lst'ing super cropping or any of that other shit is besides the point. It has nothing to do w the original purpose of this thread.

H

heisen

I honestly think theres a very simple answer to the op's question. Yes. If u took 2 clones of the same plant, kept them in identical conditions and the only difference is topped one to produce more branches than the other....the one that was not topped wud have a less amount of larger colas. Scrogging, lst'ing super cropping or any of that other shit is besides the point. It has nothing to do w the original purpose of this thread.
How are they besides the point?I dont agree with this what soever.I have multiple clones that are ALL topped in different stages of growth in RDWC and the plants with less branches have absolutely no difference in cola size,compared to the larger plants.I have pics to prove it,I have a couple plants that were a little further behind and got topped with less branches on the plants but those cola sizes are not any different.Its still all about light.All the colas below the light are always bigger and more pronounced.Ones outside of the light are smaller.
I think the OP's question was more in reference to getting a bigger yield with less tops as opposed to just a couple branches and this is absolutely false.No matter if a plant has 20 branches or 2 you still have to fill in a given footprint of light.Big outdoor plants are a good example,ITS all about the light.
Also tomatoes on sucker branches are just as big as main branches,whether its a 4 branch plant or a 8 foot tomato plant,watermelons in the same patch are all about the same size on smaller plants VS bigger plants.Putting 1 watermellon on a vine vs 10 the 1 will be slightly bigger but just get there faster than the 10.
I think a cannabis plant puts all of its energy into the top of the plant.Doesn't matter if it has 1 top or 20.Where you take from one place it will dis place to another,But the entire plant is gathering energy from light as a whole.
I think the OP got some different less yielding genetics and is bummed about it and thinking of switching it up when in fact it wasnt what he did,he just got a low yielding strain.

G gnome

G gnome

How are they besides the point?I dont agree with this what soever.I have multiple clones that are ALL topped in different stages of growth in RDWC and the plants with less branches have absolutely no difference in cola size,compared to the larger plants.I have pics to prove it,I have a couple plants that were a little further behind and got topped with less branches on the plants but those cola sizes are not any different.Its still all about light.All the colas below the light are always bigger and more pronounced.Ones outside of the light are smaller.
I think the OP's question was more in reference to getting a bigger yield with less tops as opposed to just a couple branches and this is absolutely false.No matter if a plant has 20 branches or 2 you still have to fill in a given footprint of light.Big outdoor plants are a good example,ITS all about the light.
Also tomatoes on sucker branches are just as big as main branches,whether its a 4 branch plant or a 8 foot tomato plant,watermelons in the same patch are all about the same size on smaller plants VS bigger plants.Putting 1 watermellon on a vine vs 10 the 1 will be slightly bigger but just get there faster than the 10.
I think a cannabis plant puts all of its energy into the top of the plant.Doesn't matter if it has 1 top or 20.Where you take from one place it will dis place to another,But the entire plant is gathering energy from light as a whole.
I think the OP got some different less yielding genetics and is bummed about it and thinking of switching it up when in fact it wasnt what he did,he just got a low yielding strain.
Well, u sed urself the one that got topped less was lagging behind the others...so, it doesnt seem like a fair comparison. I sed plants under identical conditions.

The title of the thread isnt " if i top my plants less will i yield more?" Or anything to do w covering the spread of the lights.
Of course the parts of the plant that r on the outskirts of the light r gonna have smaller buds
A plant only has a certain amount of energy. If that energy is focused into a lesser number of branches then obviously tbe buds will grow larger than if that same amount of energy/resources were dispersed amongst a greater number of branches/tops

S

Shawnery

I just like conversating about things that I think about in order to walk away with a larger field of knowledge to pull from in moments of need.

My grow was far from perfect and that's the reason my girls are lacking at all and nothing more. I just wanted to ask a question that I've often heard different answers to and obviously will until the end of time.

S

Shawnery

So heisen, would you then say that if I had half as many tops at the same height as I have now they would be the same size they are now?

H

heisen

Well, u sed urself the one that got topped less was lagging behind the others...so, it doesnt seem like a fair comparison. I sed plants under identical conditions.

The title of the thread isnt " if i top my plants less will i yield more?" Or anything to do w covering the spread of the lights.
Of course the parts of the plant that r on the outskirts of the light r gonna have smaller buds
A plant only has a certain amount of energy. If that energy is focused into a lesser number of branches then obviously tbe buds will grow larger than if that same amount of energy/resources were dispersed amongst a greater number of branches/tops
Food for plants is light,energy goes to leaves that perspire bringing up nutrients to build plant matter.the roots sustaining any and all growth.,the bigger the plant the bigger the roots.inrealky dont think the less amount of tops will mean bigger colas.ive seen plenty of plants flipped into flower with 4 branches and have the same size colas as 20 branch plants in the same cut.
The older and longer the veg time means bigger colas matched with lots of light.bigger root systems create bigger colas.
Small root systems or root disease will make smaller colas.
Branch count IMO dont mean nothing unless a plant has a big root system for a 18 branch plant and than gets trimmed back to 13 or 8 branches.

H

heisen

So heisen, would you then say that if I had half as many tops at the same height as I have now they would be the same size they are now?
yes maybe even smaller,thinking less tops means bigger colas would be like saying smaller plants would have bigger colas,this isnt the case,Big root systems make big buds.Lots of light also.Ive seen huge tree plants with monster colas all over,Bigger colas normally at the tops.I think plants put all there energy focused on the top of there canopy.I think you just got a bunk strain that isnt big producer,Ive ran multiple strains before and always get a few that no matter what you do they just small buds

G gnome

G gnome

yes maybe even smaller,thinking less tops means bigger colas would be like saying smaller plants would have bigger colas,this isnt the case,Big root systems make big buds.Lots of light also.Ive seen huge tree plants with monster colas all over,Bigger colas normally at the tops.I think plants put all there energy focused on the top of there canopy.I think you just got a bunk strain that isnt big producer,Ive ran multiple strains before and always get a few that no matter what you do they just small buds
If u took plants with equal sized root systems that were genetically identical and topped the hell kut of one and didnt top the other. The one that didnt get topped wud have less numerous but larver colas.
He has gelato 33 , i believe. I wudnt say its bunk by any means

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
lots of ways to skin a cat.... my 2 cents....
most of the training ppl are doing is to optimize use of thier light.. topping scrogging fanny'n supercroping.....etc watever.

manipulating apical dominance and the number of tops is going to effect the size of ur buds
but even more so the ol' basics.... roots..rh..temps...nutes...lights etc...

i agree its a very good question.
if all conditions wer perfect. all buds same height .. 12 vs 24 tops. overall trimmed weight... wait wat about quality.... and the wat abouts go on n on

perfection hmmmmm..... guess we'll never know.
:cry::p:smoking:
What do you do with the skinned cat?

P

Pass2TheLeft

Im G gnome and i endorse this message
Idk if i agree with this ive tryied topping plants and and removing fan leaves and bottom growth under my flower net many times thining out the plant etc etc as for yields i get more consistently by sog and not removing and leaves or topping or thinning i think of leaves like batterys for a plant remove them you slow down a plants growth dramaticly maybe i do it wrong but i consistently get over 1 gram per watt

J

Joedoe

Im G gnome and i endorse this message
The main cola pictured above was
Its simply blocking auxins thats all. Imagine a river with a fork... If you dam up one side all of it goes down the other path. Now the false part is that its going to make a HUGE yield increase(a gpw is a gpw) BUT!!! when done correctly it leaves you with pretty much all colas and harvests and trimming is a breeze.
The bud pictured above was topped and it had huge 2 oz buds on every branch. Yielded over 3 1/2 lbs in total. Not my best per plant harvest but one of the bigger main colas.

H

heisen

If u took plants with equal sized root systems that were genetically identical and topped the hell kut of one and didnt top the other. The one that didnt get topped wud have less numerous but larver colas.
He has gelato 33 , i believe. I wudnt say its bunk by any means
depends if it came from seed,thats not the 33 cut he has.no telling who the breeder was or what the parent plant was who knows.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

No. That is untrue. If you had the same exact size plant and the same Environment lighting etc and the only difference is the number of colas. The one with less would be bigger. Nothing to do with yield.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Food for plants is light,energy goes to leaves that perspire bringing up nutrients to build plant matter.the roots sustaining any and all growth.,the bigger the plant the bigger the roots.inrealky dont think the less amount of tops will mean bigger colas.ive seen plenty of plants flipped into flower with 4 branches and have the same size colas as 20 branch plants in the same cut.
The older and longer the veg time means bigger colas matched with lots of light.bigger root systems create bigger colas.
Small root systems or root disease will make smaller colas.
Branch count IMO dont mean nothing unless a plant has a big root system for a 18 branch plant and than gets trimmed back to 13 or 8 branches.
I agree with you about veg time meaning bigger everything. But if you take the same plant at the same size and one is topped and the other isn’t, the bud size will be bigger on the non topped plant. Period.
Nothing to do with yield or which is better. Which I think was the original question. The topped plant may yeold more but the untapped plants main cola will certainly be bigger. No matter what lighting source.
I’ve ran many plants outdoor topped and not topped. The untopped plant will always have a bigger main cola. Doesn’t yeold any better though. Maybe worse.

G gnome

G gnome

I agree with you about veg time meaning bigger everything. But if you take the same plant at the same size and one is topped and the other isn’t, the bud size will be bigger on the non topped plant. Period.
Nothing to do with yield or which is better. Which I think was the original question. The topped plant may yeold more but the untapped plants main cola will certainly be bigger. No matter what lighting source.
I’ve ran many plants outdoor topped and not topped. The untopped plant will always have a bigger main cola. Doesn’t yeold any better though. Maybe worse.
Thats all i been trying to say

S

Shawnery

I love a good debate!

Yes it's Gelato but I have two different phenos if it's what it's supposed to be. Out of 8 plants 7 have big chunky calyx's and 1 of them having bunches of tiny calyx's.

Last edited:
DGP

DGP

I love a good debate!

Yes it's Gelato but I have two different phenos if it's what it's supposed to be. Out of 8 plants 7 have big chunky calyx's and 1 of them having bunches of tiny calyx's.

Heisenbubble was on to something, isn't gelato a medium or light yeider.....Its parentage includes GSC doesn't it. From what I understand Gelato makes a fine product and urns very purple and almost black. A great smoke, good taste but not a big yielder.

As far as the original question I think given the right environmental conditions and good training the nugs will all be a similar size but yield will be optimized. An unpruned plant left to its own would likely have one bigger nug but might actually yield a little less. I have seen this in my garden but it is hard to compare two different cycles because there are variables that are hard to control in a way where they would be identical but a side by side in the same room might work.

Dee

G gnome

G gnome

Heisenbubble was on to something, isn't gelato a medium or light yeider.....Its parentage includes GSC doesn't it. From what I understand Gelato makes a fine product and urns very purple and almost black. A great smoke, good taste but not a big yielder.

As far as the original question I think given the right environmental conditions and good training the nugs will all be a similar size but yield will be optimized. An unpruned plant left to its own would likely have one bigger nug but might actually yield a little less. I have seen this in my garden but it is hard to compare two different cycles because there are variables that are hard to control in a way where they would be identical but a side by side in the same room might work.

Dee
Nobody ever sed gelato was a high yielder. I sed it wasnt bunk. Nor is gelato or any of its tendencies pertinent to the discussion

Top Bottom