Is It Fair To Say That, Every Branch Reduces Cola Size?

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DGP

DGP

Nobody ever sed gelato was a high yielder. I sed it wasnt bunk. Nor is gelato or any of its tendencies pertinent to the discussion
I was not quoting you just saying what I was thinking regarding the discussion at hand.

Dee

H

heisen

Nobody ever sed gelato was a high yielder. I sed it wasnt bunk. Nor is gelato or any of its tendencies pertinent to the discussion
The issue here is I'm referencing the message he sent.me and think his question has everything to do with the message.
And yes main colas will be bigger especially on big Christmas tree shaped non topped plants but adding colas does not reduce the overall plant cola size that is impossible.cause like I said a 6 branch plant will be the same size colas as a 12 branch plant given equal amount of light and nuteients.
It's all about the strain and lights IMO.he got a small yield and is looking for answers or ways to increase it.im trying to help him understand that some plants are poor yielders no matter what you do.
If I have a 4x4 light footprint I'm not gonna reduce my plant down to a 2x2 with less branches to get bigger colas in Hope's to increase yield.thats just crazy to me and I think that's what the question he is asking us related to.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Heisenbubble was on to something, isn't gelato a medium or light yeider.....Its parentage includes GSC doesn't it. From what I understand Gelato makes a fine product and urns very purple and almost black. A great smoke, good taste but not a big yielder.

As far as the original question I think given the right environmental conditions and good training the nugs will all be a similar size but yield will be optimized. An unpruned plant left to its own would likely have one bigger nug but might actually yield a little less. I have seen this in my garden but it is hard to compare two different cycles because there are variables that are hard to control in a way where they would be identical but a side by side in the same room might work.

Dee
I’m not denying anything about the yield. Whatsoever. I’m talking about the size of a cola. I think we all agree here. Hahah.

Here’s a quote from your post. “An unpruned plant left to its own would likely have one bigger nug but might actually yield a little less. ”
That’s all I’m saying. In no way am I saying it will yeold more overall.

I agree the branches in the same light will all be a uniform equal size. I just think they will get a little smaller as you get more and more branches. This is assuming the pants have been vegged the same time and has the same roots. So one is getting topped and topped and the other just grows. The main cola in the untrained one will be donkey dick huge and the topped one will be a bunch of h inform smaller colas. Anointing to a possibly higher yield. That’s all I’m saying

S

Shawnery

No it has nothing to do with a message I sent you. I didn't even remember sending you one till you referenced it. Definitely states it's on my mind though one way or the other.

I have memory issues from a head injury during a motorcycle accident. You will often see me asking similar questions. Over and over and over!

Sorry!

Edit: Just read it, get how you would think that, makes since.

Last edited:
Skipper23

Skipper23

Top it in veg 1 week before flower, prune it up, mostly nodes, at day ~10 to desired estimated canopy depth leaving all branches that make it to the canopy zone.

IME, when I top, I get more terminal bud sites but smaller buds but more yield. I top to avoid big giant colas that are prone to mold and prefer smaller.

I have my doubts about that Gelato(s) making the rounds. The one with balls, 33, larry bird(?), with those tiny calyxes.. meh. Maybe it needs to be much more close to light, kinda pretty, but overall larfy. I do kinda like the high though, reminds me of SF weirdness or Trufula tree land. And that 41, the taller lankier, big purple calyx one, didn't have much of an impressionable high and the yield seems compromised.

S

Shawnery

Hey skipper,

Are you just commenting about two different types of gelato strains or are you saying that those are the two strains of gelato that I have?

S

Shawnery

The big thing in the bay area is clones on craigslist. They are clones sold as Gelato with no other definition, 33 or what ever else there might be. They're about half the price of the clones from the shops here especially with our crazy taxes.

The Blue Dream I got on my first go around was very nice and hopefully these will be good as well. I know I'd be better off with shop clones but some people never learn.

H

heisen

The big thing in the bay area is clones on craigslist. They are clones sold as Gelato with no other definition, 33 or what ever else there might be. They're about half the price of the clones from the shops here especially with our crazy taxes.

The Blue Dream I got on my first go around was very nice and hopefully these will be good as well. I know I'd be better off with shop clones but some people never learn.
lots of them craigslist clowns popping seeds and calling it whatever they want and selling seed stains off as cuts.im sure there are some legit ones out there but anyone who has gotten enough cuts has for surely weeded through a few fakes.

S

Shawnery

I'm sure. They're looking like Gelato to though. I've looked around the net at other grows and they seem very similar.

Who knows but that could be said of any business, especially semi-legal ones.

Skipper23

Skipper23

I got cuts from North Bay and was told they were Gelato. I noticed 2 phenos right away and I think these are the 2 phenos almost everyone has around the Bay. BTW, the clones were crappy, new kids or something, many didn't even have a node in the cube and took forever to root. Then the 33 balled out everywhere, scared the crap out of me, was ready to toss, but someone else decided they would pluck them off, and that mostly worked but there's a bit of a chaff taste from seed pod or something when smoked. I think the cuts are from s1's and not hybrids. There's a lot of sloppy shit going on with the new industry here in Cali..

H

heisen

I have 2 people i get my cuts from only and one is a seed breeder that's a cool ass dude.I know when im getting something its the real deal and not some pheno hunted pack of crap.I know some of these cats on the forum will buy a pack of fast buds gorilla glue and tell all there friends they have gorilla glue growing like there running the cut.I know this gelato will be big craze.
I know the next big hype is gonna be black banana cookies.My buddy sends me samples of nugs before i get the cut and that shit blew away every cookie cross i ever had.

H

heisen

^^^ Those are them ^^^
looks like seed junky pheno hunted version to me.ive seen a few pics on IG of it and that doesnt look like that to me.The ones i have seen are more blacker leaves.
I know a wedding cake cut is going around saying its from seed junky and has cherry pie in it which is bullshit,Wedding cake is jbeezys cut from jungle boys crossing animal mints and triangle kush,.

heres the one i am use to seeing,always dark black leaves,found by cookie fam AKA larry bird

IMG 4822 433x768

Last edited:
S

Shawnery

The leaves are becoming more dark purple and black as the age and much easier to see in person. Just a fact but doesn't mean they're good or not just what you can see here but not in the photos.

Skipper23

Skipper23

Oh they definitely go black, and some of the hues in the buds are truly awesome. But overall we were unimpressed so I wouldn't be surprised if its junky seed phenos. The thing is there's like 6 different and cataloged Gelato phenos floating around the bay, and I think this is where the cookie people are. It puzzles me that they woud let out a bunch of different variants, but then again, the Gelato father was an accidental mystery polinator, so it all seems like accidental and sloppy good luck to me..

Top Bottom