Is My Plant Over Watered ?

• Thread starter Koltivation
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
How much water should i give measurement wise ?
Just water it, i dont go by a specific volume, just get the tiniest amount of runoff for now to be sure the soil is saturated.
Water as far as the leaves reach. For the wilting one go as wide as if its leaves were not drooping.

Koltivation

Koltivation

Just water it, i dont go by a specific volume, just get the tiniest amount of runoff for now to be sure the soil is saturated.
Water as far as the leaves reach. For the wilting one go as wide as if its leaves were not drooping.
Got it , and what do u mean “go as wide as if its leaves were not drooping “ ?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Got it , and what do u mean “go as wide as if its leaves were not drooping “ ?
I mean go wide as if its leaves were standing straight. Water as far as its shadow would reach if the leaves were standing straight. Dont water just around the stem.

Koltivation

Koltivation

I mean go wide as if its leaves were standing straight. Water as far as its shadow would reach if the leaves were standing straight. Dont water just around the stem.
Oh okay thank you for the advice !! Since i water usually every 3 hours by spraying id assume id have to wait longer intervals once i pour water ?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Oh okay thank you for the advice !! Since i water usually every 3 hours by spraying id assume id have to wait longer intervals once i pour water ?
Lift the pots now and after you water. When it gets light and easy to lift water again (do it before plant exhibits symptoms of underwatering like it does now).
You can also stick your finger about an inch into the soil to see if its dry or not.
What i do is, i never let it completely dry but never leave it soaking wet either.
Hypothetical; Lets say when i first water, the pot feels +1lb heavier compared to dry weight of my mix. I’ll water again when it feels 0.5lb heavier compared to the dry weight so there is always 0.5lb water in the medium.
To give you an estimate once you saturated the soil (or peat mix), it should take between 2 days to 5 days before it dries again, depending on the aeration capacity of the mix, temp, light distance and air movement around the pot.
This is pretty much how i do it without actually taking any volume or weight measurements.
Just don’t saturate all the pot at this point, go as far as their leaves go and make a circular shape. The moisture will be distributed in the soil.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Lift the pots now and after you water. When it gets light and easy to lift water again (do it before plant exhibits symptoms of underwatering like now).
You can also stick your finger about an inch into the soil to see if its dry or not.
What i do is, i never let it completely dry but never leave it soaking wet either.
Hypothetical; Lets say when i water the pot feels +1lb heavier compared to dry weight of my mix. I’ll water again when it feels 0.5lb heavier compared to the dry weight so there is always 0.5lb water in the medium.
This is pretty much how i do it without actually taking any volume or weight measurements.
You are the right guy for the job Crimson!!
Wow, the patience that you have.
Sounds like kolt is eager to learn.
You can't listen, if your talking.
Ask questions, and Listen.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It's important to water the entire surface of the container. The roots grow quickly and deep...within one ,month your container should be full of roots to the bottom. Once the roots grow enough, they can pull water from deeper in the container. If you don't water the entire container, the roots can't expand into the dry soil. I have never had any problems with over-watering. I grow in 5 or 6 gallon buckets and use Promix. I have 5-6 holes in the bottom of the buckets to allow any excess water to drain out. I typically water with 1-1.5 gallons of water/daily. I used a smart pot someone gave me and it seemed to drain out the excess water well, but the soil mix has a LOT to do with water retention. Promix drains very well, maybe too well sometimes. I add composted manure at about 20% and it supplies the micronutrients and helps to hold a little more water. I should point out that my system isn't hydro, just Promix in 5-6 gallon buckets and 20-20-20 fertilizer weekly...other setups act a lot different. I sprout from seeds and put them directly in the buckets under 1000W MH lighting...I keep the light about 4 ft above the initial seed level until they go to alternate growth...then its a scramble to keep enough room to allow the light to penetrate. Good luck...FWIW, I agree that the plant needs more water. A lack of overhead light can also cause some strange looking plants with the leaves drooping...the drooping allows them to get as much side lighting as possible, although I don't think that is the case with yours.

chemistry

chemistry

It's important to water the entire surface of the container. The roots grow quickly and deep...within one ,month your container should be full of roots to the bottom. Once the roots grow enough, they can pull water from deeper in the container. If you don't water the entire container, the roots can't expand into the dry soil. I have never had any problems with over-watering. I grow in 5 or 6 gallon buckets and use Promix. I have 5-6 holes in the bottom of the buckets to allow any excess water to drain out. I typically water with 1-1.5 gallons of water/daily. I used a smart pot someone gave me and it seemed to drain out the excess water well, but the soil mix has a LOT to do with water retention. Promix drains very well, maybe too well sometimes. I add composted manure at about 20% and it supplies the micronutrients and helps to hold a little more water. I should point out that my system isn't hydro, just Promix in 5-6 gallon buckets and 20-20-20 fertilizer weekly...other setups act a lot different. I sprout from seeds and put them directly in the buckets under 1000W MH lighting...I keep the light about 4 ft above the initial seed level until they go to alternate growth...then its a scramble to keep enough room to allow the light to penetrate. Good luck...FWIW, I agree that the plant needs more water. A lack of overhead light can also cause some strange looking plants with the leaves drooping...the drooping allows them to get as much side lighting as possible, although I don't think that is the case with yours.

@Koltivation, I'd go with this.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
The thing is, since he has been spraying water on top soil up until this point to water, root system can’t be as well developed as it can be.

H

hawkman

just let it dry - the others look healthy. once dry for some days and you will get your answer, Really it's too early to use nutrients. consider starting nutrients in week 3 (the seedling stage) at reduced rates (1/4) up to now you should be using a good root stimunlator (great White, ect)

H

hawkman

just let it dry - the others look healthy. once dry for some days and you will get your answer, Really it's too early to use nutrients. consider starting nutrients in week 3 (the seedling stage) at reduced rates (1/4) up to now you should be using a good root stimunlator (great White, ect)
you might have killed it by overfeeding !!!

Koltivation

Koltivation

The plant is revived !! As you can see the tips have turned a little brown but i dont think that should be much of a problem should it ? Thank you all for your advice and helping me out it is very much appreciated !!

8587008F CC5F 466B BE81 E20CB6019F00
H

Highkev

Everyday pick each lady up off her feet and stick your finger knuckle deep in her to see if she's wet baby. If not u may need to give her some good lovin and to make her wet

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Start out with smaller pots to learn a better water practice then transplant after you ha e some real growth. Too much of that soil is dry.

Top Bottom