Is Pre-harvest Flushing A Myth?

• Thread starter Pimp T
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FatManatee

FatManatee

Absolutely not. Just think about, why do nutrient companies recommend to flush with plain water? They can't gain any money by this. I myself flush a total of 3 weeks, and have found out this to work fantastic for me.

TimeLine

TimeLine

Soil in nature is never 'flushed

yeah while that sounds great for infinite wisdom reality is here what we are dong is not "nature"
creating a giant root mass where the word "soil" could be debated as dirt and roots at the time period in question

and BTW I bet you couldn't hyzer flip a beat dx sting ray in a head wind hahaa jk

TimeLine

TimeLine

fatman..tag line is nice

unless that is of course to not make u think they are being greedy thus giving confidence they are not sscamming

companies playing the long burn

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

yeah while that sounds great for infinite wisdom reality is here what we are dong is not "nature"
creating a giant root mass where the word "soil" could be debated as dirt and roots at the time period in question

and BTW I bet you couldn't hyzer flip a beat dx sting ray in a head wind hahaa jk

For the record everything we do is 'natural'. We are natural beings on a natural planet with only natural resources at our disposal.

Plants simply do not have a need for 'flushing' because they eat what they want when they want. Whoever started the misconception that plants are forced to eat whatever you give them should be given some kind of misinformation award.

Plants did not evolve in an environment in which their nutrients were restricted or changed at any point. Soil has what it has, and they take what they need.

Stingray hyzer flip? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit, the only disc that can handle my raw power is a Metal Flake Ape.

(jk, I'm a total noodle arm, fastest disc I throw is a Wraith...)

gwheels

gwheels

BTW I bet you couldn't hyzer flip a beat dx sting ray in a head wind hahaa jk

what language is that?

TimeLine

TimeLine

its the origin of pot in the US lingo lol

natural hmmm
existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind.

while I appreciate the holistic thinking man is involved her..while yes we are natural...and lets not even argue if we are or not alien to earth we are natural occurrences w/i the universe so yes we being "natural" in that sense I call BS that just cuz we touched must be "natural" by that definition..(plus natural is defined as no "human") anyways even putting us w/i nature by definition I still say BS..

it is very passive thinking and while I like what is what must be thinking then we can just throw wind to everything and say well that is natural

while mutations are natural they may not be the norm...

have you ever heard of a "unit"
plenty of living natural beings eat and eat and eat plants I suggest are no different

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Cannabis does not just take what it needs from the soil. It is an accumulator plant. It will uptake what we pour in. Thats why it can be overfed and burn itself on too much nutrients. Even lockout its own roots trying to take up too many elements.

There are marijuana plants placed all around chernoble to uptake the radioactive material in the ground.

It works.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

Cannabis does not just take what it needs from the soil. It is an accumulator plant. It will uptake what we pour in. Thats why it can be overfed and burn itself on too much nutrients. Even lockout its own roots trying to take up too many elements.

There are marijuana plants placed all around chernoble to uptake the radioactive material in the ground.

It works.

None of this is true. Overfeeding and burning is a chemical reaction in the soil, it isn't the plant taking up too many nutrients. Lockout is also a chemical reaction, the nutrients are unavailable to the plant. The problem isn't that the plant is 'taking up too many nutrients'. That is not what lockout is.

It is very clear that you have no clue what you're talking about, so it's probably best to not spread misinfo.

Fun fact: Heavy metals are essential plant nutrients. Cannabis only 'accumulates' the nutrients it needs.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

None of this is true. Overfeeding and burning is a chemical reaction in the soil, it isn't the plant taking up too many nutrients. Lockout is also a chemical reaction, the nutrients are unavailable to the plant. The problem isn't that the plant is 'taking up too many nutrients'. That is not what lockout is.

It is very clear that you have no clue what you're talking about, so it's probably best to not spread misinfo.

Plants burn in full hydro too. Because they are taking up too much fertilizer.

Lockout is simply too much elements around the roots. More salt in the water or soil than the roots and the osmosis can not work.

Try linking some information if you want to discredit.

gwheels

gwheels

They burn in coco too. I did it myself...crispy.
I will never use lucas formula in autopots again. But wow did they grow fast for a while.

eastcoastjoe

eastcoastjoe

Cannabis does not just take what it needs from the soil. It is an accumulator plant. It will uptake what we pour in.

Sure it does , it’s called senescence. Maybe if your “feeding” your plants with organic bottled / synthetic nutrients flushing may be necessary to leach salts away so the plant cannot absorb anymore of the accumulated plant salts.

Real live Organic soil is a different thing and flushing isn’t necessary. Senescence occurs all by itself and the plant will stop taking up nutrients.

You ever wonder how all the big trees in the forest come back lush and green year after year but in the fall the leaves fade and eventually drop ? That’s senescence telling the trees winter is coming and its life cycle is complete. The composting under the blanket of leaves is where nutrient cycling is happening. No flushing going on there

madgrower

madgrower

What myth? In about 1989 i met large indoor growers in new jersey and philadelphia. They “flushed” their soil and switched to water only about 3 weeks before harvest.

They explained to me they could “pump” the plants aggresively with nutrients then basically wash out the excess from the soil before the buds ripened and fade the leaves to yellow some.

They said this allowed them to get very high yield but could cure the flowers to taste smoother sooner for faster sale.

This is the original grow book method and the dutch method.

No “myth” about it until the forums I guess.

I have found through my own testing that when fed minimally to the plants actual needs pretty much to the end the results are better.

I dont think those old growers would argue. They were cash cropping for huge money back then.
Most of my plants only start to bulk up around the last 3 weeks. I have tried feeding only water for the last 2 weeks for about 3 years. Always thought I had good pot. Until I tried feeding nutrients all the way through and then I new I had good smooth 30 to 50 percent larger buds and no bad taste so I never looked back at feeding water only. Ps I only feed half the recommended dose of nutrients and molasses every 3 rd feeding

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Most of my plants only start to bulk up around the last 3 weeks. I have tried feeding only water for the last 2 weeks for about 3 years. Always thought I had good pot. Until I tried feeding nutrients all the way through and then I new I had good smooth 30 to 50 percent larger buds and no bad taste so I never looked back at feeding water only. Ps I only feed half the recommended dose of nutrients and molasses every 3 rd feeding

I like to feed lower doses each watering but as long as we taper off the feed as the plant needs less and less toward the end we can see some real potential.

G

Glow

Fun fact: Heavy metals are essential plant nutrients. Cannabis only 'accumulates' the nutrients it needs.

Why would leaves burn if it was a chemical reaction taking place in the soil? Surely if leaves burn something is occurring in the leaves? Yes? And no you have it wrong. Cannabis is like a Labrador, it will keep eating till it dies if you let it. And yes cannabis is used for phytoremediation because it efficiently removes toxins from soil. https://hightimes.com/news/how-cannabis-cleans-up-nuclear-radiation-and-toxic-soil/

Note According to researchers from Colorado State University, hemp is extremely effective in removing from soils the toxic element cadmium—which is convenient, because cadmium contamination is everywhere. It’s seen in fossil fuels, old-school pesticides and many other byproducts of human civilization.

Cadmium and other heavy metals cannabis uptakes are non essential elements in plant growth. So as you say "it's probably best to not spread misinfo." Anyway I find it funny how the moment flushing comes up a massive debate ensues where misinformation and disinformation is rife.

Monster762

Monster762

Why would leaves burn if it was a chemical reaction taking place in the soil? Surely if leaves burn something is occurring in the leaves? Yes? And no you have it wrong. Cannabis is like a Labrador, it will keep eating till it dies if you let it. And yes cannabis is used for phytoremediation because it efficiently removes toxins from soil. https://hightimes.com/news/how-cannabis-cleans-up-nuclear-radiation-and-toxic-soil/

Note According to researchers from Colorado State University, hemp is extremely effective in removing from soils the toxic element cadmium—which is convenient, because cadmium contamination is everywhere. It’s seen in fossil fuels, old-school pesticides and many other byproducts of human civilization.

Cadmium and other heavy metals cannabis uptakes are non essential elements in plant growth. So as you say "it's probably best to not spread misinfo." Anyway I find it funny how the moment flushing comes up a massive debate ensues where misinformation and disinformation is rife.
flushing is always debated.i googles it for days. Everywhere I seen debated. Like you said it’s pretty much a preference thing. I think flushed plants dry n cure better and taste better even straight from the drying rack without a cure. Also I think cold cold water flush speeds the ripening ( for trichs that could use a little push ) and raises the aromas real good at the very end.
Here’s a good question.
How come when feed til runoff it don’t make the plant stink like if you push clean water til runoff?
Water alone makes em smell real good as you’re pushing it through. Why?
Not being an ass just idk but the smell intensifies a lot while flushing clean water through.

G

Glow

I expect you may find that as osmotic potential reduces, mass flow increases. This might have something to do with it. Yep I think I have made my thoughts pretty clear on running water only for 10 -14 days preharvest. First, the plant isn't using nutrients during this time - save on input costs. And secondly, while you cannot flush accumulated nutrients from the tissue there is possibly something else going on at an organic level (e.g. reduction in chlorophyll). The parameters around the study are actually quite flawed on this level.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

"Fertilizer contains salts, which draw moisture out of plants. When you apply excess fertilizer to plants, the result is yellow or brown discoloration and root damage."

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
It's vital to keep up nutrients to the day of harvest to prevent things like bud rot, PM and caterpillar damage. Heavy feeds are long over, but I feed to the week of harvest. You would be surprised how much weight is lost when nutrients are tossed out the last couple weeks.

I grow organic fyi

Last edited:
FatManatee

FatManatee

It's vital to keep up nutrients to the day of harvest to prevent things like bud rot, PM and caterpillar damage. Heavy feeds are long over, but I feed to the week of harvest. You would be surprised how much weight is lost when nutrients are tossed out the last couple weeks.

I grow organic fyi

In my experiments, I have not seen that yield is decreased by cutting nutrients (in soil). Quite the contrary, I've got increased yields by flushing. I do raise my soil EC really high, before I start the flush, so there's nutrients stored in the media.

Top Bottom