Is This A Decent Set Up For A First Time Grower.

• Thread starter BamaBushes32
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BamaBushes32

BamaBushes32

I currently bought a Mars 300 and some 2 additional led bars. I’m only growing 2 plants inside of a homemade 2 1/2 by 2 box inside my walk-in closet. And I bought all these Alaskan Naturals products... are they any good and how and when should I start feeding. New plant is 7 days old already. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT!!!!

Is this a decent set up for a first time grower
Is this a decent set up for a first time grower 2
Dan789

Dan789

Every grow, you’ll learn something. Most of us didn’t start out killing it, so don’t stress if you don’t pull what you thought would result from your grow. As a suggestion you might to read some of the posts in the basic growing section and the grow diaries. Lots of info and you’ll see results of what other growers did and what the results were. Good growing.

BamaBushes32

BamaBushes32

be careful with that fish fertilizer ive killed plants with it,as its super strong and I probably used too much
I’m gonna start off with the step one. First which is a 3-2-0 but what can I buy to bring up my K with out P

Phylex

Phylex

I’m gonna start off with the step one. First which is a 3-2-0 but what can I buy to bring up my K with out P
If you're looking to buy other products to help supplement your base nutrients, you may want to consider just buying a complete two or three part nutrient line up that's geared toward cannabis. You have quite a few selections to choose from and some that are very reasonably priced and won't break the bank. The good thing is, they usually have feeding charts to assist you throughout the stages of growth. It's a safe practice to start off slow when following the feeding charts and begin feeding at 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended dosage. Watch your plants and see what they can handle. You can slowly build up to full strength over time if they're responding well.

The reason I'm suggesting this is two fold. You may end up spending nearly as much buying additional products to supplement what you have, vs. just buying a two or three part base. The second reason is the feeding chart I mentioned can assist you while you're figuring out what works best for you. Just a thought

Which ever course you choose, I wish you all the best

BamaBushes32

BamaBushes32

If you're looking to buy other products to help supplement your base nutrients, you may want to consider just buying a complete two or three part nutrient line up that's geared toward cannabis. You have quite a few selections to choose from and some that are very reasonably priced and won't break the bank. The good thing is, they usually have feeding charts to assist you throughout the stages of growth. It's a safe practice to start off slow when following the feeding charts and begin feeding at 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended dosage. Watch your plants and see what they can handle. You can slowly build up to full strength over time if they're responding well.

The reason I'm suggesting this is two fold. You may end up spending nearly as much buying additional products to supplement what you have, vs. just buying a two or three part base. The second reason is the feeding chart I mentioned can assist you while you're figuring out what works best for you. Just a thought

Thanks man! I appreciate the advice

Seraphine

Seraphine

Completely agree with this. Start off with your basic 2 or 3 part nutrient system. Master that and see what results you get and add supplements later (if even needed). I messed around a lot with all those supplemental nutrients and in the end found the simple 2 or 3 part system works best like General Hydroponics flora series, fox farms or canna A + B (if you do coco). It is fun shopping around for supplemental nutes or terpene enhancers but they can get super pricey and I can never notice a difference.

In the end, spend your extra money on upgrading your lights because that’s what will make your cannabis potent, taste great and increase your yields ;)

DyersEve

DyersEve

Hey there Bama, I saw your thread on Sunday but had no time to post an answer. You'll notice I've no previous activity on this site as DyersEve but don't let that fool you, I have more than three decades of experience under my belt and have used most common and some decidedly uncommon approaches to feeding. I am currently using the Alaska nutrients and have had excellent results in the past. If you want I'll walk with you virtually through your entire grow. I'll post pictures of my work to help illustrate wherever I can. The other posters have given you good advice. The only thing I would tell you different is you should be able to get excellent results with what you currently have. A question I have is what are the genetics you are working with? I ask because that will likely be the single biggest factor in what your approach should be. It will determine any alterations you may want to make. And observation is your best tool for being able to provide what your plant(s) may want. Let me know if you're interested and I'll prepare some more in depth info.

BamaBushes32

BamaBushes32

Hey there Bama, I saw your thread on Sunday but had no time to post an answer. You'll notice I've no previous activity on this site as DyersEve but don't let that fool you, I have more than three decades of experience under my belt and have used most common and some decidedly uncommon approaches to feeding. I am currently using the Alaska nutrients and have had excellent results in the past. If you want I'll walk with you virtually through your entire grow. I'll post pictures of my work to help illustrate wherever I can. The other posters have given you good advice. The only thing I would tell you different is you should be able to get excellent results with what you currently have. A question I have is what are the genetics you are working with? I ask because that will likely be the single biggest factor in what your approach should be. It will determine any alterations you may want to make. And observation is your best tool for being able to provide what your plant(s) may want. Let me know if you're interested and I'll prepare some more in depth in
Hey there Bama, I saw your thread on Sunday but had no time to post an answer. You'll notice I've no previous activity on this site as DyersEve but don't let that fool you, I have more than three decades of experience under my belt and have used most common and some decidedly uncommon approaches to feeding. I am currently using the Alaska nutrients and have had excellent results in the past. If you want I'll walk with you virtually through your entire grow. I'll post pictures of my work to help illustrate wherever I can. The other posters have given you good advice. The only thing I would tell you different is you should be able to get excellent results with what you currently have. A question I have is what are the genetics you are working with? I ask because that will likely be the single biggest factor in what your approach should be. It will determine any alterations you may want to make. And observation is your best tool for being able to provide what your plant(s) may want. Let me know if you're interested and I'll prepare some more in depth info.
That would be amazing if you could could give me any advic. I’m gonna be honest I’m not sure what 3 of the seeds are but they came from same plant (GROWING SUPER SLOW)but I know the 4th plant is OG kush and she is a beauty already 2 weeks old tommrow.
thats would be awesome . First question I have I feel like my plant is growing too fast.. she is only 2 weeks old today and is short short short but is growing leaves on the nodes for branches already???

AB878C53 D41A 49AF 8D8A 3DAD2B4715A5
CA8573D3 65B3 4222 957C 323AE69F6422
33BBF009 5840 4283 B505 0A75F9842575
DyersEve

DyersEve

Hey man. Sheesh! Busy week for me. I'll try to be more prompt with replies. So, you've got a plant or plants that are blazing through their early stage veg. Nothing wrong there. It just means you've got good vigorous genetics and are meeting its wants and needs. I've had plants with pretty good branching, enough to take a small cutting, by two weeks. This isn't always the case, but if it has a bushy growing habit it will branch early and often. Typically a plant with its needs being well met will go from being a seedling to being a young vegitative plant during the second half of week two. And as long as you don't see any yellowing at the tips of the leaves you haven't over fed either. That said, with everything humming along so well you might want to let it coast on good clean water for a few days. Feeding with organics as opposed to mineral nutrients allows for that flexibility in feeding regimen. Question, are you using any mycorrhizae? Any soil inoculants? I ask because they really turbocharge organic soil grown plants. If you aren't you may want to look into it. I use Wildroots Organic Mycorrhizal Fungi. It's available on Amazon and a one oz $15 bag will last you years. You'll notice an uptick in vigor and you can feed less using it. I'll get you some pics posted a little later today when I'm working with my plants. Till then be glad it looks like you're off to a great start.

DyersEve

DyersEve

Another quick point. During the first few weeks I go pretty light on feeding. When the plant starts its fourth or fifth main stem node I'll slowly increase every two days or so until I'm around the recommended feeding schedule and amount for the product unless the plant starts to show me signs saying "no mas!" That doesn't usually happen unless I'm growing something that is genetically a light feeder in its young stages like Blueberry or Destroyer. OG Kush is not known as a light feeder. It's generally a hungry variety.

BamaBushes32

BamaBushes32

Another quick point. During the first few weeks I go pretty light on feeding. When the plant starts its fourth or fifth main stem node I'll slowly increase every two days or so until I'm around the recommended feeding schedule and amount for the product unless the plant starts to show me signs saying "no mas!" That doesn't usually happen unless I'm growing something that is genetically a light feeder in its young stages like Blueberry or Destroyer. OG Kush is not known as a light feeder. It's generally a hungry variety.
No I am not useing anything else for roots and the only bites I gave was 1/4 the mount of step one 3 days ago and 1/4 amount of step 2 because I figured she need some K in her? And I changed the soil to Jungle Growth (it’s Organic and drains very well) that’s all I have done so far? Don’t know if I doing things right or not just trying not to over feed but she is growing. Soo much faster than I expected and I think it’s from the Kush family OG or Bubba. I know the seeds are good because I only save when I know they came from fire weed but I didnt label them And are you talking about “super thrive” for roots pic takes this morning day 14

DyersEve

DyersEve

Superthrive is excellent, but no, I'm talking about beneficial fungus and soil bacteria inoculant. About 15-20 years ago a dude named Paul Stamets discovered during his research on soil micro organisms called mycorrhizae and some soil bacteria like subtillus were living in a symbiotic relationship with plant roots in a healthy ecosystem. The micro organisms were breaking down organic material and making its nutrients more readily available to the root systems. In addition they were making plants more efficient with their use of those nutrients and the available moisture in the soil. It was found that some of these organisms were actually colonizing and living INSIDE the plant roots making the plants more resistant to disease and drought. Plants grew considerably bigger, faster and yielded more than controls in the same soil mixtures with the same nutrients with the same amount of available moisture. And we aren't talking 5-10% here, we're talking 50-200% here depending on the plant type and other factors. You don't have to be a Phd in microbiology either. You just mix a little powdered inoculant into your water ONCE and the mycorrhizae take it from there, living and reproducing in your soil. I've actually had mushrooms from the mycelium of these fungus fruit in my pots after I harvested the plants. They wouldn't be edible, but it was pretty cool. I'll post you a label pick along with some others this evening.

BTW, Mariners fan? Do you live in the PNW? I do. One of the great cannabis growing regions when it comes to history and a community of folks dedicated to the furtherance of cannabis knowledge. Love the Mariners too.

Last edited:
BamaBushes32

BamaBushes32

Superthrive is excellent, but no, I'm talking about beneficial fungus and soil bacteria inoculant. About 15-20 years ago a dude named Paul Stamets discovered during his research on soil micro organisms called mycorrhizae and some soil bacteria like subtillus were living in a symbiotic relationship with plant roots in a healthy ecosystem. The micro organisms were breaking down organic material and making its nutrients more readily available to the root systems. In addition they were making plants more efficient with their use of those nutrients and the available moisture in the soil. It was found that some of these organisms were actually colonizing and living INSIDE the plant roots making the plants more resistant to disease and drought. Plants grew considerably bigger, faster and yielded more than controls in the same soil mixtures with the same nutrients with the same amount of available moisture. And we aren't talking 5-10% here, we're talking 50-200% here depending on the plant type and other factors. You don't have to be a Phd in microbiology either. You just mix a little powdered inoculant into your water ONCE and the mycorrhizae take it from there, living and reproducing in your soil. I've actually had mushrooms from the mycelium of these fungus fruit in my pots after I harvested the plants. They wouldn't be edible, but it was pretty cool. I'll post you a label pick along with some others this evening.

BTW, Mariners fan? Do you live in the PNW? I do. One of the great cannabis growing regions when it comes to history and a community of folks dedicated to the furtherance of cannabis knowledge. Love the Mariners too.
I will definitely get some!! And no..I’m from the South East. But I was. HUGE MARINERS FAN BACK IN THE DAY.... Ken Griffey Jr and Randy Johnson are my favorite 2 players of all time... well and Nolan Ryan from Texas Rangers!!

DyersEve

DyersEve

Hey Bama, sorry I've been lagging on posting those pics for you. Been too busy for my own good but I didn't want to leave you thinking I had forgotten you. They'll be up soon.

DyersEve

DyersEve

IMG 20190119 143146
IMG 20190119 142637
IMG 20190119 143312
IMG 20190119 142825
Here is that label and a couple examples of plants grown in soil with Alaska ferts and the mycorrhizal inoculant. None of these plants are older than about five weeks. Most are closer to four. I'm transitioning them into flower today. I'll keep showing you what I'm doing with them and how they're coming along. Three of them are a pure sativa called Destroyer that will be 12-14 weeks in flower. The two plants on the right of the cloner are males from that same strain that I'm test crossing to a number of these plants and making a new generation of seed of with the three female Destros going into flower.

BamaBushes32

BamaBushes32

View attachment 852693 View attachment 852694 View attachment 852695 View attachment 852696 Here is that label and a couple examples of plants grown in soil with Alaska ferts and the mycorrhizal inoculant. None of these plants are older than about five weeks. Most are closer to four. I'm transitioning them into flower today. I'll keep showing you what I'm doing with them and how they're coming along. Three of them are a pure sativa called Destroyer that will be 12-14 weeks in flower. The two plants on the right of the cloner are males from that same strain that I'm test crossing to a number of these plants and making a new generation of seed of with the three female Destros going into flower.
What kind of lights do you use. All your plants look great. WhT strain???

Top Bottom