is this a good package?

• Thread starter xX Kid Twist Xx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
heres a packadeal at bestbuy right now will this lens work for macro shots?

or would i do better buying things seperate?

R

Rolln J

looks like a solid deal to me - costco (if your a member has it for 650 or 499 with the 18-55 lens)

O

oldtimer60

Im a photographer by trade and I use nothing but Nikon. The great thing about Nikon is that they have the same lens attachment for all camers. The setup you chose is great but if you want to do macro go to a used camera show and pick up a used macro lens. They will probably be manual focus but the camera you looked at will have a manual mode. I just picked up a 60mm macro for my son and I only paid 100 for it. Hope this helps.

O

oldtimer60

The lenses that come with the camera are not macro. If you only want to do macro and have a good lens buy the body only and a macro lens 60mm or 90mm are great.

O

oldtimer60

amazon has to body for 400.00 plus a used lens (Nikon) and youre golden

E

easypleasie

Pretty decent deal, bro. The lens included is great for most things, but you won't be able to zoom in real close. As oldtimer says, you need a macro lens just for those nice close up shots of trichs. May want to pick up a tripod, too. And you'll probably want a 100 mm macro for super close stuff. And if you really want it to look good, pick up a ring flash kit. Not cheap, but nothing is once you start getting more high end.

T

Tonic

Its a great deal for general photography but if you are serious about macro you shoutd go for Canon as they offer the MP-E65mm which is the best semi pro macro lense on the market. Combined with the Canon Macro Twin Lite MT 24EX Flash it is unreal!
Here is a couple of pics i have taken with it and ive only had it for a week or so.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This rig, lense and flash, is about 1500 euros tho. (without camera body) And worth every cent.

Good luck watever you choose.

Tonic

R

Rolln J

yikes 2200 (american dollars) for a lens and flash - I think the point is hes on a budget - lol - thats a great cam to start with - maybe just buy the one lens kit and save cash for a macro lens...

some incredible shots though tonic!

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
it says it comes with a 55-200 mm lens is this not good? should the lens be only 100 mm and why? i dont undertand it so iots hard to pick out a lens. i read a bunch of post here but i still dont get it

T

Tonic

Kidtwist
the 55-200 is a zoom lense this lense can do normal shots or zoom in on the subject. A 100mm macro lense is different all together. Only for close up, add extention rings or bellows and get closer.

What do you plan on doing with it?

Rollin J,
Thats the point i was trying to make, he should decide what he wants to do with it in the future and think very hard.

I got my camera with a 2 lense kit and I wish i had got just the body and bought seperate lenses. The quality of the lenses supplied with these packages are not great. Still will smash a point and shoot!

I would always buy the best i can afford at the time, same with tools. My father once told me that only rich people can afford to buy s*it things, and it is true. The beter the kit, the beter it is to use, the more enjoyable to use and will hold its price better if you decide its not right for you.

I bought a relativly cheap Canon body and tho. it is great cant help but wish i had dug a little deeper into my pocket!

Much more expensive to buy twice.

Have a good think mate, get whats best for you.

Just my opinion

Tonic

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
right on tonic. if i dont buy the kit i can get the better camera for now and just save up for a lens. instead of buying the kit haveing the lower modle camera and still needing to get a lens

T

Tonic

You got it.

This is the best way to go.

However that body is fine, just the lenses will be prety poo.

You will be fine above about 10MP with either Canon or Nikon. Much more is a bit un called for.

Tonic

E

easypleasie

I agree with Tonic with getting just the body. That's if you think you want to take things a little more serious. This hobby can be addicting and most likely you're gonna want good equipment. Better to start now than later as you will waste buying things you won't want later. lol kinda like all the grow equipment I have collecting dust!

Be ready to drop some cashola for a good macro lens and flash kit. You'll still need other lenses for regular shots, though. You'll end up with 2-3 lenses, minimum.

If you wanna get a packaged kit, get the Nikons. The "cheapy" lenses that come with the Nikons have better glass to start with than the Canons. They both have awesome high end lenses so you can't really go wrong with either once you decide to move into the pro/semi-pro realm.

lol forget that camera, just drop about 10k and get the flagship stuff :)

B

bobpeto

Great thread, answerd a whole bunch of questions I had too. I found a combo at a camera shop near me. It's a Nikon D5000 DSLR and it comes with the 18-55 mmVr and a 55-200mm VR lense for $969.99 this is in canada too.

Is that a good deal? From what i understand those lenses wont do Macro, but will they be alright to take regular pics until I can save up for the Macro lense? What would a Nikon macro lense be called? If anyone has a link to look at a macro lense for a nikon that would be great.

Thanx alot guys

Bob

B

bobpeto

^^^^ Thanx, I tried that and didn't get shit, mind you Im using bing.........But ya, thanx.......LOL.

Bob

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

any 50mm lens mounted on a reversing ring will do 1:1 close ups , Its a very cheap option with excellent quality , you can get them for most camera set ups "ie" nikon canon minolta, remember camera body's dont make the quality of the images ,
the lens's is where your image quality comes from...
Always set your budget around the lens's

H

HypnoToad

Hey guys,

You might also consider the Olympus Evolt series. they use the 4/3 system, but the cameras are light, easy to use, and actually take good pictures. It's a great budget DSLR. Also, 4/3 lenses are usually cheaper cost wise because they are smaller.

HT

E

easypleasie

Just about any camera out there will work for you. It all depends on how much money you want to invest in lenses. As someone mentioned, it is ALL in the lenses! If you think you're gonna end up investing in a bunch of different lenses, start off with the body only and get lenses that you need.

The 105mm macro lens I want is almost a $1000! And it's only for taking macro shots! You will pay the big bucks for quality lenses. Here's a link to the macro lens I wanna get.

A macro lens is a specific type of lens that allows you to take really close up pictures. Don't mistake this for a zoom lens. The packages you can buy will be fine for taking everyday pictures and photos will turn out just fine. You'll need to learn how to use them properly, though. A lot of people will discover that those little point and shoot cameras will take "better" photos than an SLR. That's mainly cause you have to fiddle with the SLR's a little more but you have greater control and potential with them. The point and shoot cameras have all kinds of color enhancement/sharpness built in so you get consistent good photos with little adjustment. These are great for the size.

You have to learn how to take good pictures with an SLR. The more you learn how to manually take photos, the better the photos will turn out. And using flash in itself requires a bit of study. There are tons of photography books for specific purposes. Landscape, people, architecture, close-ups(macro), flash, action, and so on.

All really depends on how involved you wanna get. If you just wanna snap a few pictures here and there OR take quality shots like you see in the magazines.

Top Bottom