Is This Bud Rot? (5~6 Weeks Into Flowering)

• Thread starter SouthCALA
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SouthCALA

Hello All,

This is my first time growing and I have ran into an issue I need insight on. I planted 4 plants in the last week of May outside in Los Angeles, CA - 1) Gelato, 2) Grand Daddy Purp, 3) Clementine, and 4) Sour Diesel.

Sour Diesel matured the quickest and grew the fastest along with being the first to show some "buds". However, upon budding I noticed the little buds started to dry up and turn brown and never developed any hairs/pistils. The lower leaves just died and everything turned brown and "dust" like.

I'm now 5-6 weeks into flowering and the plant is over 6ft tall. All the lower branches died off and now on the main big colas the bottom halves are turning brown and dying also.

A few notes:
- This is all outdoors as you'll see in the images.
- I'm in Los Angeles so it hasn't rained.
- I don't water the actual plant leaves...only the soil (1 to 2x a day depending on how dry the soil is)
- The top colas are still producing new growth, but they aren't any pistils still.
- The lower portion of the colas are all dried up and just dead "budlets" remain (pics with arrows illustrate this).
- No moisture in the air either.

What's going on? Is this bud rot? And should I be concerned that it doesn't have any pistils like my other plants?

All thoughts/insight are welcome. Thank you!

Is this bud rot 56 weeks into flowering
Is this bud rot 56 weeks into flowering 2
Is this bud rot 56 weeks into flowering 3
Is this bud rot 56 weeks into flowering 4
Is this bud rot 56 weeks into flowering 5
Is this bud rot 56 weeks into flowering 6
Is this bud rot 56 weeks into flowering 7
TheRemer

TheRemer

Hello All,

This is my first time growing and I have ran into an issue I need insight on. I planted 4 plants in the last week of May outside in Los Angeles, CA - 1) Gelato, 2) Grand Daddy Purp, 3) Clementine, and 4) Sour Diesel.

Sour Diesel matured the quickest and grew the fastest along with being the first to show some "buds". However, upon budding I noticed the little buds started to dry up and turn brown and never developed any hairs/pistils. The lower leaves just died and everything turned brown and "dust" like.

I'm now 5-6 weeks into flowering and the plant is over 6ft tall. All the lower branches died off and now on the main big colas the bottom halves are turning brown and dying also.

A few notes:
- This is all outdoors as you'll see in the images.
- I'm in Los Angeles so it hasn't rained.
- I don't water the actual plant leaves...only the soil (1 to 2x a day depending on how dry the soil is)
- The top colas are still producing new growth, but they aren't any pistils still.
- The lower portion of the colas are all dried up and just dead "budlets" remain (pics with arrows illustrate this).
- No moisture in the air either.

What's going on? Is this bud rot? And should I be concerned that it doesn't have any pistils like my other plants?

All thoughts/insight are welcome. Thank you!
I have had this issue with plants budding and reveging. but my climate is wet. Hope this helps explain.
I

S

SouthCALA

I have had this issue with plants budding and reveging. but my climate is wet. Hope this helps explain.
I
Thanks for the help TheRemer. I didn't even think of the idea that they could be re-vegging. I did have some solar lights in the yard, but it hasn't cast really much light onto them.

May I ask you two more questions?

1) Once it begins to get darker sooner will the plants naturally go back into flowering?

2) Does re-vegging hurt the plant or yield in any shape or form?

Thanks!

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
It’s bud rot, and plants look like they recovered post reveg???
But defoliate it a bit and cut out any and all brown rotted looking sites, I had a issue as well here in Monterey, lost about a 1/3 and I was able to recover but drying these will be important at harvest, dehumidifier will be on constantly, I’m gonna hot dry that particular plant as I don’t want any spores to get to my other good plants .
The dew point in Cali is earlier this year .ive never had bud rot this early in season.

TheRemer

TheRemer

Thanks for the help TheRemer. I didn't even think of the idea that they could be re-vegging. I did have some solar lights in the yard, but it hasn't cast really much light onto them.

1) Once it begins to get darker sooner will the plants naturally go back into flowering?

Thanks!
They will kick back into flower if they have reveged. Its just a set back, I'm not sure what it does to the yield. Hope it goes well for you. I have one right now doing it. A hermi.

20180729 160904
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter

Thanks!
They don’t recover well this late in season, if indoors they would take time and set u back a month but outdoor you will run out of time. I say. Let her ride and see what yields

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I had an early March reveg and she revived well but that was early in season

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I’m lookin at late November harvest but I’m in a green house with those plants so weather won’t factor much but the light will need to be supplemented as they are stringy

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

It's very unlikely that its bud rot. Botyris, the mold that is bud rot. flourishes in low temperatures (40's to 50's F), high humidity. That is not LA right now. You've got some other shit going on, but I think bud rot is the least of your worries. You gotta have buds first, lol.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
It's very unlikely that its bud rot. Botyris, the mold that is bud rot. flourishes in low temperatures (40's to 50's F), high humidity. That is not LA right now. You've got some other shit going on, but I think bud rot is the least of your worries. You gotta have buds first, lol.
I actually had bud rot! In marina ca, the damn fog was incessantly heavy this summer! Screwed 2 nice plants all to hell. Have been using the dehumidifier for months now to keep the moisture low. Been at 90-100 % daily and I’ve been fighting to keep it about 65%
And it’s been 50s every night this summer

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Just read the rest of your post. I think you're over atering your plant. You should be watering no more than once a day, maybe once every couple to three days. See those down curled leaves? That's symptomatic. Try letting her get a bit thirstier before you water. It will take a week or two to recover.

S

SouthCALA

I’m lookin at late November harvest but I’m in a green house with those plants so weather won’t factor much but the light will need to be supplemented as they are stringy
Hey, thanks Jack OG!

I'm going to cut off everything that is remotely dead and see what I'm left with. Perhaps some will be salvageable. Either way, thank you for sharing your pics. They look great! A greenhouse would be ideal!

S

SouthCALA

I’d cut off one of those bottom buds and look inside to rule out caterpillars

Yeah, I'm def going to cut it all off in the A.M. and see where I stand. No good leaving the dead stuff there anyway. Thanks!

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Yeah, I'm def going to cut it all off in the A.M. and see where I stand. No good leaving the dead stuff there anyway. Thanks!
Salvage what u can and get rid of the bad stuff. If it indeed is rot it can help stop the spread. Also sterilize the tools after you use it on that plant.
Old man also brought out a good point about letting her dry out a bit in between watering.

DTG

DTG

I agree with both Madbud & OMR, cut the bud open & look really close for those Pillars, they can be so tiny & do so much damage. I also agree about the watering, over watering hurts & under watering helps. Let them dry out for a day or 2, then plain ph'd water only no food. Good luck, I hope you figure it out in time to save some smoke off of it. Take care.

Don.

S

SouthCALA

I agree with both Madbud & OMR, cut the bud open & look really close for those Pillars, they can be so tiny & do so much damage. I also agree about the watering, over watering hurts & under watering helps. Let them dry out for a day or 2, then plain ph'd water only no food. Good luck, I hope you figure it out in time to save some smoke off of it. Take care.

Don.
Hey Don,

Much appreciated help! I just wrapped up cutting off what appears to be "rotten". I really looked for any other kind of bug, insect, or issue and it just appears to be bud rot. It was damp. I think I got all of it and will still have half the plant to salvage due how big it was. Thanks again and I'll post in the thread weeks from now when I harvest.

S

SouthCALA

Salvage what u can and get rid of the bad stuff. If it indeed is rot it can help stop the spread. Also sterilize the tools after you use it on that plant.
Old man also brought out a good point about letting her dry out a bit in between watering.

Hey there,

Just finished cutting everything off. I lost about half the plant but the top portions are still green and seem to okay. I'll keep an eye on them. My bud rot wasn't moldy and didn't have fungus webs, ect. Pretty much either damp brown leaves or brown crinkly leaves/buds. Not sure if that make it any better if it was a "mild" case.

IMG 1338
IMG 1339
IMG 1341
IMG 1343
IMG 1344
IMG 1345
IMG 1347
Top Bottom