Is This Bud Rot? (5~6 Weeks Into Flowering)

• Thread starter SouthCALA
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SouthCALA

How is your plant that big in such a small pot!?

Hey Miss Botany,

This is honestly my first time growing and all I did was use pH balanced water, Malibu Compost Brand Soil, and use natural sunlight. This particular plant is 6.5ft tall. I wanted organic/sustainable weed so there aren't any chemicals to promote growth.

I used a sustainable recycled fiber pot and drilled holes in it to promote aeration. This pot was only 3.75 gallons. My other plants that are just as tall are in 5 gallons.

MissBotany

MissBotany

I would use a much bigger pot. That could also be why your plant is/was dying.

But good job on your grow!

S

SouthCALA

I would use a much bigger pot. That could also be why your plant is/was dying.

But good job on your grow!

I'm committing novice mistakes as a first time grower....so on my other grows I'll most likely graduate to 7 gallon or 10 gallon. The soil certainly dries out super quick on plants this big. However, I believe it's common that a 5 gal pot can produce a 6ft tall plant as long as the conditions are adequate.

My colas just also seem to be very dense and think. Unfortunately on this plant (Sour Diesel) I had to remove about 50%-60% of the bud because of bud rot. It certainly would have been interesting to see how much this individual plant could have produced had I known this was bud rot weeks ago.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Hey there,

Just finished cutting everything off. I lost about half the plant but the top portions are still green and seem to okay. I'll keep an eye on them. My bud rot wasn't moldy and didn't have fungus webs, ect. Pretty much either damp brown leaves or brown crinkly leaves/buds. Not sure if that make it any better if it was a "mild" case.
No chance this was russets but worth scoping for sanity’s sake. But I don’t see the obvious signs after you cleaned it out

S

SouthCALA

Certainly looks like a possibility from my experience.
Thanks for the mention of mites. I combed through the bud I cut off and literally spent 4 hrs checking every inch of the plant. Nothing but just a trace of a cricket (which I jarred and released down the road). I sure hope I didn't miss anything but I even went through the remains bud to be sure and nothing there that I can see. I'll keep checkin tho!

S

SouthCALA

No chance this was russets but worth scoping for sanity’s sake. But I don’t see the obvious signs after you cleaned it out
I've been obsessing over the plants but after a day and half without water it ended up looking like this....I felt is was okay to water when it's wilting this bad. I just gave it a gallon oh pH balanced h20. Your thoughts?

IMG 4108
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I've been obsessing over the plants but after a day and half without water it ended up looking like this....I felt is was okay to water when it's wilting this bad. I just gave it a gallon oh pH balanced h20. Your thoughts?
They should bounce back but repeated cycles will hurt the yield

S

SouthCALA

They should bounce back but repeated cycles will hurt the yield
Yes, this has happened once before but within 25 min of watering they were upright and perky again. I attribute the quick wilting to having them in such small pots and having big plants that require more water. Honestly, 1 gallon a day keeps them just right as far as I've seen. I appreciate you taking the time to answer back. Thanks JACK OG

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Yes, this has happened once before but within 25 min of watering they were upright and perky again. I attribute the quick wilting to having them in such small pots and having big plants that require more water. Honestly, 1 gallon a day keeps them just right as far as I've seen. I appreciate you taking the time to answer back. Thanks JACK OG
Can you up pot it? Like go to a larger size, take the root ball and stick into a larger pot with some new soil to allow it to hold say more water? ? Also a pot saucer may be better as they will hold water post watering that will allow plant to suck it back up, draw back it may cause rot if she doesn’t drink

S

SouthCALA

Can you up pot it? Like go to a larger size, take the root ball and stick into a larger pot with some new soil to allow it to hold say more water? ? Also a pot saucer may be better as they will hold water post watering that will allow plant to suck it back up, draw back it may cause rot if she doesn’t drink
I have the soil and resources to move up to a bigger pot but I just figured because of the size of the plant/it's weeks into flowering that it would potentially shock it. Seeing as though this is my first grow I haven't taken many chances. I should have listened to a pal about 1.5 months ago and moved them into 10 gallons

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I have the soil and resources to move up to a bigger pot but I just figured because of the size of the plant/it's weeks into flowering that it would potentially shock it. Seeing as though this is my first grow I haven't taken many chances. I should have listened to a pal about 1.5 months ago and moved them into 10 gallons
Copy that.

MissBotany

MissBotany

I’d personally take the risk and up pot or if your soil is decent, put it in the ground. Your plant will probably die if you keep it in that tiny pot. I can 99% guarantee that your issues came from your plant being rootbound.

Edit: also, most root issues will cause the lower parts of the plant to die off first...

But it’s your call...

Top Bottom