Is This Perlite?

• Thread starter elcolombiano
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
elcolombiano

elcolombiano

Is this perlite??? Bought some supposed perlite online and received something i wasn't expecting...
It had many grey, black, brown rocks which i discarded and kept only what looked white or whitish... gave them good rinse and what you see in the pictures is what was left.
I thought the black spots were dirt but they just wont come of. Maybe it jsut isnt perilte? Maybe pumice?
Anythoughts are appreciated.

Is this perlite
Is this perlite 2
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Might be a lower grade of Perlite. Hard to say. It does look a little off. Crush some up and see if the powder is white. Maybe it’s just dirty.

Madmax

Madmax

Not sure but i think it is pumice.if you had perlite you could weigh it as perlite is lighter than pumice...

elcolombiano

elcolombiano

ok thanks!
i took a rock from the bunch and it was easily broken with a couple soft taps of a hammer. It is white inside.
I guess have to conclude it is just really low quality perlite and not properly stored, maybe just put on a pile next to gravel or sand... everytime i grab it i end up with sand/little particles in my fingers, even after the thorough rinse i gave it (done this twice actually).
Won't be buying again from that source, but do plan to use up all this "perlite" in my test runs with bag seeds. So far two seedling have this perlite in the bottom of their Hempy bucket containers and seem to be doing well. W

elcolombiano

elcolombiano

Not sure but i think it is pumice.if you had perlite you could weigh it as perlite is lighter than pumice...

the texture is really rough, and it does feel heavier than the perlite I used to buy some years ago.
and the more I look at pictures on the web of pumice rocks the more i feel i was sent pumice instead of perlite.. either that or they have a serious problem with their perlite.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Might be a lower grade of Perlite. Hard to say. It does look a little off. Crush some up and see if the powder is white. Maybe it’s just dirty.
Looks used, color looks like it’s been in soil and soil imbedded in the pores.

elcolombiano

elcolombiano

these rocks are meant to be used in the bottom of hempy buckets, so even if they are pumice they should work.... they are so dirty though i feel i might have buildup issues.
Thanks for the input all!

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Crush up a couple pebbles. It should be pretty white inside even after being used.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
That looks exactly like used/dirty perlite. I wouldn't worry too much. Rinse it as best as you can maybe with a light solution of peroxide to kill any bacteria that may be lingering, and grow on.

elcolombiano

elcolombiano

That looks exactly like used/dirty perlite. I wouldn't worry too much. Rinse it as best as you can maybe with a light solution of peroxide to kill any bacteria that may be lingering, and grow on.

will use peroxide, nice idea! thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom