Iso reclaim

• Thread starter Cold Country
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cold Country

Cold Country

Hey all, I have been looking around here and have noticed a bit of talk about reclaiming butane but nothing about an iso reclaim. The reason I am interested is a few years back I used a 3 gallon stove top still made for Shine and was able to get back a 75%, admittedly the unit was not super tight, but I have wondered if others have tried similair methods for saving/being cheap with iso ?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Yes you can distill iso and reclaim it, but unless you making edibles its not really a good idea your gonna cook the terps to hell..

a Soxhlet *sp* Is a good way of reusing iso to extract ..

Rotoevaporator if you really wanna spend the money..

Cold Country

Cold Country

Thanks, that is exactly what I hoped for in regards to a reply.
I didn't really cook the hell out of it as I put the still in a hot water bath, but I do see your point, and a Soxlet hunting I will go.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Just a tip but look for a 2000ml Soxhlet if you can. the bigger the better. And Skip the glass thimble and just plug the hole with cotton balls.. Save your self 50$

Just make sure to RE filter the extraction once its done the cotton won't block all the plant matter.

Ebay used glass is your best option for cheap.. You can piece one together for around 100-150$ least thats what mine ran when i did it ;)

Cold Country

Cold Country

So do I need this same unit if I am using a previuosly filtered product ? I forgot to mention that in my post, I have a nice vacuum filtration unit so I was and will be using a pre filtered product.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Sorry I think i led you down a differnt path then you were intending.. the Soxhlet would be an extraction device you put the weed up top and alcohol in a flask on the bottom,, Heat that up thus distilling the liquid soaking the weed up top and when it becomes full it ejects the liquid back into the bottom flask to repeat till all the weed has been fully extracted then you replace the weed and repeat with the same alcohol still in the flask. Its just a way to reuse.

To distill what you have you just need a distillation unit. cpl glass flasks a condensor and a few tubes and a way to hook it up to cold water to condense the alcohol.

Really not worth it.... If your gonna do iso or alcohol extractions and wanna get the most out of the solvent and the weed then a soxhlet is the way to go.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter

heres what it does this guy did a nice video of his mmj extraction with it :D

Cold Country

Cold Country

That is what I thunked it would do and the problem with that for me is all the (non essentials) being leached out in the warm iso, it sure makes for a mighty green wash.
I just use frozen iso ,frozen herb ,shake for a minute or 2,strain with the vacuum unit, it makes for a very clear oil.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Yeah see if you tried to distill that your oil would drastically change color and taste :(

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey all, I have been looking around here and have noticed a bit of talk about reclaiming butane but nothing about an iso reclaim. The reason I am interested is a few years back I used a 3 gallon stove top still made for Shine and was able to get back a 75%, admittedly the unit was not super tight, but I have wondered if others have tried similair methods for saving/being cheap with iso ?
I'm going to try using one of those home water distillers to reclaim all that alcohol, because Everclear is fuckin' expensive. The unit I'm looking at is a couple hundred dollars, so I won't be buying til after Christmas most likely.

Cold Country

Cold Country

Interesting, I never thought of that. I found a 500 ml pyrex unit with a condensor for about $70 it's not a giant but I make just for me so it should be fine.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I never thought of the "how" until I saw a video made by a family in New Zealand of how they make cannabis oil. But the last time I made some oil I decided to do it inside with no fan, and ALL kinds of Everclear 'washed' down onto the steel griddle cover on the range, and it smelled just like it did when I took the cap off the bottle. That was when I first started thinking there had to be *some* way to recover all that fuckin' booze. Cuz the shit ain't cheap!

When I saw the video I immediately started Googling "home distillation units" thinking I'd only come up with overseas results, but no! You can distill water in YOUR very own home, too!!

daub marley

daub marley

It is extremely cheap and would likely cost you more in energy to distill than just buying more, but if your still interested you can buy a cheap vacuum distillation kit for like $150. You need the vacuum to prevent decarboxylation while distilling the isopropyl alcohol.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm using Everclear, and that stuff ain't cheap. Since we're on 100% solar energy, the power required to drive a home distillation unit isn't going to break the bank, and since PG&E doesn't pay on their contracts, we may as well use our energy ourselves, instead of letting PG&E make a profit off it.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I'm using Everclear, and that stuff ain't cheap. Since we're on 100% solar energy, the power required to drive a home distillation unit isn't going to break the bank, and since PG&E doesn't pay on their contracts, we may as well use our energy ourselves, instead of letting PG&E make a profit off it.

For what its worth do know that distilling alcohol in the us is a felony without the proper permits ect. ect. ect.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I'm not distilling it, I'm reclaiming what I already paid for. :p

Lol still a felony separating alcohol from plant matter = distilling :D Check your local laws as well state law may be even worse then federal law is..

"
Under Federal rules administered by TTB, it depends on how you use the still. You may not produce alcohol with these stills unless you qualify as a distilled spirits plant (see earlier question). However, owning a small still and using it for other purposes is allowed. You should also check with your State and local authorities - their rules may differ.

A still is defined as apparatus capable of being used to separate ethyl alcohol from a mixture that contains alcohol. Small stills (with a cubic distilling capacity of a gallon or less) that are used for laboratory purposes or for distilling water or other non-alcoholic materials are exempt from our rules. If you buy a small still and use it to distill water or extract essential oils by steam or water extraction methods, you are not subject to TTB requirements. If you produce essential oils by a solvent method and you get alcohol as a by-product of your process, we consider that distilling. Even though you are using and recovering purchased alcohol, you are separating the alcohol from a mixture -distilling. "

Sourced Alcohol And Tobacco Tax Trade Bureau

Cold Country

Cold Country

I would hate to get busted for distilling when all I'm doing is making oil.

Top Bottom