Juniper's Gentleman's Farm Fall 2014

• Thread starter juniper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juniper

juniper

Hello All. This is my Gentleman's Farm. My first post here, and my first 100% legal medical grow. Starting from clones and trying to get a perpetual thing running with harvests every 2 months. Right now, I'm running clones to see what works for me. With a 50 day strain like the A13, I can theoretically pull 7 harvests/year.

I am using an Advanced LED XML 150 in the vegetative tent, and a 600 watt HPS in the flower tent.
I use 100% perlite hempy buckets and I am running the GH Maxi Series w/ K2SiO3 to adjust pH.
I defoliate throughout the life cycle, mostly using LST and super-cropping whenever necessary.
I am a minimalist in all things, my grow included.

Currently I'm running: Apollo 13 (most likely TGA's backcross)
Bodhi's Prayer Tower (Lemon Thai Sativa x [Green Crack x Tres Dawg])
Alien's (Tahoe Alien x Original Indiana Bubblegum)

Here's the Apollo 13 in the veg tent at about 3 weeks (2 clones in the bucket):
Junipers gentlemans farm fall 2014
Notice the zigzag nodes (this clone is known for 'em):
Junipers gentlemans farm fall 2014 2
A13 in Flower @ 23 days. She's super floral, very sweet. Any muskier and it'd be old lady perfume. Getting a lot of melony notes. She has under 30 days left. She was vegged 5 weeks from a tiny clone. Long running colas. Fast cloner, thin lanky stems.
Junipers gentlemans farm fall 2014 4 Junipers gentlemans farm fall 2014 3
Tahoe Alien x Indiana Bubblegum @23 days. Much skunkier, frostier, and a tad slower than the A13. Thick, purple streaked, almost wooden stems. Terribly slow cloner. It's those wooden stems I tells ya! The stems are literally too strong to pinch, you just have to train her early when the stems are still soft and brand new. She'll have wands of golfball nugs and will probably yield much better than the A13. Vegged 6.5 weeks.
Junipers gentlemans farm fall 2014 5 Junipers gentlemans farm fall 2014 6
Bodhi's Prayer Tower at about 4 weeks. Trained low like the Tahoe Bub. She's a nice plant so far, thick stems, easy to train. Indica dominant for a mostly sativa lineage. Can't wait to flower her:
Junipers gentlemans farm fall 2014 7

Feel free to question or comment!

juniper

juniper

Fresh defoliation and tie-down on the A13 in veg. She'll be in veg at least another 25 days. Gonna grow a monster(s)
IMG 00751
Fancy-pants cloner w/ 100% perlite (yes I defoliate clones, slows 'em down and keeps them branchy)
IMG 00771
The complete lineup. Vegetative Stage: 1 tsp. MaxiGrow/gallon, pH adjusted w/ silica.
Flowering Stage: 1tsp. Maxibloom/gallon, pH adjusted w/ silica.
IMG 00791
MaxiGrow is much less acidic than it's sister product. MaxiGrow needs about 1/4 tsp. of silica per gallon to hit 5.8, whereas MaxiBloom requires at least 3/4 tsp. of silica per gallon.

Some folks practice a truly minimalist grow, and only use MaxiBloom, omitting MaxiGrow entirely. I ran into N deficiencies with the true K.I.S.S. style. Only the Tahoe Bub had the deficiency, leading me to believe the MaxiBloom only regimen does work but is probably strain specific.

Oh, and in the flower tent I have active ventilation, a 6" Phresh w/ carbon filter, and an air-cooled hood in a Secret Jardin DR90. Air King 6" fan blowing on the plants.

The vegetative tent has passive ventilation (the LED produces negligible heat) with a fan inside the tent. 18/6 light cycle. The plants grew too gosh darn fast with 24 hour lighting. It's a GrowLab brand. It appears to be considerably better quality than the Secret Jardin. I recommend it highly.

juniper

juniper

I forgot to mention that there were originally 3 buckets. In with the clones were a couple GDP bagseeds (likely selfed), which both turned out male. A darn shame if you ask me, 'cause they were nice plants. Pure indica phenotypes with huge maple leaves and thick, deeply grooved, hollow stems. One was slow, but the other was quite vigorous for a pure indica phenotype. If I had the space and inclination I'd have grown out that male and made a few seeds.

Tahoe Alien x Original Indiana Bubblegum will be hereafter referred to as "T.A.B." as I grow weary of writing it out. I will think of a name for this clone at some point. I'm leaning towards Osage Orange. It's a lot like the tree, with it's hedgelike growth, tough/hard wood, and they both produce nasty smelling green balls.

This grow will be a tad small, but I'll have bigger plants next round, since I'm only running 2 buckets at a time from here on out. 3 was just too cramped. I'm expecting 0.5 grams/watt this run, once I select a clone to run for awhile and get her dialed in I'll shoot for 1gram/watt. I've never worked with these genetics before so this is all up in the air...I'm just happy it's finally all legal!

Right now I'm flowering the A13 and TAB in a sort of side by side to see who gets to stay in rotation. There's a hundred clones and seeds I'd like to have, but space is at such a premium!

Now, the A13 will be done before the TAB, but if it trounces the A13 in yield I'll scrap the A13, unless I just absolutely dislike the flavor/high/taste off the TAB. I really don't care for the "baby poop" smell from some OG's (SFV OG, for example, smells thoroughly unpleasant to me) and I hope the TAB doesn't express that. The winner will get flowered against the prayer tower and the process repeats itself. In this way, I can have a staple strain every harvest, and something different so I don't get bored.

As far as the future goes, I'm interested primarily in very short flowering genetics (PNW Grapefruit, C99 crosses, UK cheese, Green Crack, etc.). My 2 tent perpetual setup necessitates quick flowering times. If I had a 75 day flowering strain I would also be vegging for 75 days. Thus, it has to be done in 60 days or less (52 days is ideal) for me to consider a strain worthwhile for my purposes.

juniper

juniper

Prayer Tower hedge-rowed. She smells somewhat floral-citrus; it's quite pleasant. Oddly small, distinctly red veined leaves. I'm wondering which parent she leans to...there isn't a ton of information about either parent to sift through.
IMG 00821
People seem to have a lot of nice things to say about Bodhi's work; I'm glad to have something with his Appalachia male since it is no longer being used. Has Bodhi simply moved on to other males or did something happen to the Appalachia?

I've mulled it over and settled on the "Osage Orange" name for the (Tahoe Alien x Indiana Bubblegum). It grew on me, and reminds me of back home.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Welcome to the farm juniper! You're off to a fantastic start here. I loved the Apollo 13 I ran a couple of years ago, great plant.

juniper

juniper

Update, farm folk :

Apollo 13 @ day 26 continues to swell in size. She's starting to develop small trichome heads, giving it a velvety appearance.
IMG 00891 IMG 00911

Osage Orange (Tahoe Alien x Indiana Bubblegum) @ 26 days showing superior and extensive trichome coverage, but floral clusters are swelling slower than the Apollo 13. It smells like a skunky tomato plant, and has a little of the "baby-poop OG" smell.
IMG 00881 IMG 00861 IMG 00931

Just to get an idea of how dense this plant is. I defoliated extensively (2 fans left on the entire plant) and it's still crowded in there. I even trimmed the edges off what little leaf there is to let more light to inner budsites. A true hedge-plant, I tell ya hwat.
IMG 00851

I am going to take some cuts from A13 and Prayer Tower before the weekend.

juniper

juniper

Day 28 Flowering A13:
IMG 00961 IMG 00981

This plant continues to swell rapidly and push out more pistils. Some pistils have gone orange, perhaps 5%.
I am anticipating harvest 21-24 days out.

Also, I've acquired a new clone, meet the Albert Walker Bx1, in an minimalist experiment. Reused milk jug style container
cut in such a way as to leave a spout to pour excess water out of. Essentially a free, readily available hempy bucket that cannot overflow.
IMG 01001
As pictured, training starts at day 1.

Not pictured: Osage Orange @ day 28. I had already put her back under lights before I snapped a photo. Getting very greasy to the touch. Freshly re-tied down to allow light penetration into dense canopy. Same as above for Prayer Tower and Apollo 13 in the vegetative tent.

Clones were taken of the Prayer Tower and A13 yesterday. All perlite, all the time.

juniper

juniper

Day 29 Flowering Osage Orange a.k.a. (Tahoe Alien #4 x Indiana Bubblegum clone)
IMG 01061 IMG 01081 IMG 01101 IMG 01141

This plant continues to impress me. Giving the floral clusters a light squeeze reveals a sharp, fruity scent remarkably similar to the Golden Goat clone. The ambient smell is still "musty baby-poop OG". Trichome coverage @ 29 days far surpasses anything I've grown thus far.

Here's the Osage Orange's stalk (US quarter for scale):
IMG 01161

The Apollo 13 also @ 29 days:
IMG 01041

My burgeoning clone collection. Back in the Midwest, acquiring clones was risky business, and it meant telling someone you grew. Here on the Front Range, a large selection of quality genetics are readily available. So, I've got a few more than I need currently. A good problem to have, in my book.
IMG 01181
Here's a shot of the vegetative tent. The plants have almost looped around the buckets. They'd be ready to flower in 2 weeks, but they'll get another month or so. No harm in trimming excess foliage if need be. A13 on left, Prayer Tower on right.
IMG 01221

juniper

juniper

Fresh defoliation on the vegetative plants. This is done to shorten nodal length and slow down the plant's growth. It also results in all nodes receiving equal light, which translates into more uniform, bushy growth. The A13 currently flowering could have used more intensive training and another week of vegetative growth.
IMG 01261

Defoliation is done semi-regularly. A fan here and there, with full stripping at least once in both stages. What works best for my setup is for plants to be started on a defoliation regime slowly but early as part of a larger integrated training program.

The A13 in flower has taken on a "tart candy" smell. It doesn't really have anything resembling a "classic Cannabis" aroma.

juniper

juniper

Osage Orange @ Day 31 Flower:
IMG 01461 IMG 01471 IMG 01481
The floral clusters continue to swell. The lower buds still pushing thick white pistils. There is perhaps 5% orange pistils on the top buds.
29 Days until the anticipated harvest.

A13 @ Day 31 Flower:
IMG 01441 IMG 01431
Floral clusters continue swelling, and trichome coverage expands. Closer examination reveals small trichome heads on long, thin stalks.
18 Days until the anticipated harvest.

This ferocious beast appears every time the plants are out of the tent for watering/maintenance. She lurks in the hallway, waiting for me to become distracted so she can eat the leaves. Her favorite is the A13.
IMG 01491

The original PNW Albert Walker clone is known to have double-serrated leaves. Looking closely, one can see the Albert Walker BX1 displaying some partial double-serration.
IMG 01511
When I picked up this clone, I had a chance to check out the finished product of the BX1. It looked quite nice, but the buds were small and I don't believe the product was cured properly, because the aroma was light and grassy. I resolve to do better on the quality. When I rub the stem of the Albert Walker BX1 clone, I get a distinct "funk" odor, so I am inclined to believe it's possible.

juniper

juniper

It's worth mentioning that the source I acquired this clone from had finished flower from both the BX1 and what they purported to be "Albert Walker BX3". This is a very reputable source so I have no reason not to trust them. The BX3 was certainly frostier, but with the same small buds and muted smells.

I feel fortunate to have this clone, as I know many would like to have a cut. Especially since what I've read seems to say the original cut has lost its vigor to age, if such a thing is possible. I can't say, as I've never held a clone 20 years, but anecdotal evidence is strong in this case.

Fellow farmers are more than welcome to question or comment, I'd be happy to answer any and all questions.

juniper

juniper

A13 @ Day 32:
IMG 01441 IMG 01531
This clone displaying approximately 20% orange pistils.

Vegetative plants are re-leafing rapidly. They'll be stripped once more before flower. Organized the clones a little.
IMG 01551

juniper

juniper

Osage Orange @ Day 34:
IMG 01681 IMG 01671IMG 01691 IMG 01711
Osage Orange is quickly accumulating weight as we close in on week 5. 21-28 days left.
The intoxicating scent easily overpowers the A13 cut.

Apollo 13 @ Day 34
IMG 01591 IMG 01611 IMG 01631
The cola in the last picture is about 30cm long. 13-16 days left.

Everyone's happy in the vegetative tent:
IMG 01761
3 weeks to go. Whenever the A13 currently flowering is done I'll probably put the Prayer Tower into flower, such that the next round is done approximately at the same time.

I am still very excited about the Albert Walker BX1 clone for the run after next. If anyone has any experience with Albert Walker please feel free to discuss.

juniper

juniper

A13 (left) and Prayer Tower (right) prior to a moderate defoliation.
IMG 01781 IMG 01791
The same, after:
IMG 01811 IMG 01821
I try to avoid the youngest leaves when defoliating.
It is at this time when the buckets are close to filled that I need about 15-20cm of vertical growth before transition to flower. This growth will hopefully translate into approximately 30-45cmtotal vertical growth from this point to about 3 weeks into flower when plants are done with flower-set (stretching).
This should put all floral clusters within my light's "sweet spot" of ideal PAR, about 20-60 cm. from the bulb.

I can't help but wonder if my Prayer Tower cut was mislabeled and is in fact Bodhi's Prayer Tower (Remix).
The place I acquired the cutting from often stocks flowers and concentrates of both the former and the latter.
The remix has an indica Lemon Thai mother instead of the sativa mother in my cut.
This cut has displayed few, if any, sativa leaning characteristics thus far, certainly no "thai".
It is of course possible that this is simply an Appalachia-leaning indica phenotype.
If such is the case, ideally it would lean to the Green Crack clone on it's father's side and be done in 7 weeks.

Osage Orange @ Day 35:
IMG 01851
A13 @ Day 35:
IMG 01911
A13 isn't pushing out many new pistils on the tops, and approximately a third of pistils have gone orange.
If I had the inclination I could harvest at Day 42. I prefer a "rounded" effect so Day 49 will probably be the ticket.
This is the fastest plant I've personally ever seen.
If you flowered it as a clone it would still be faster than most auto-flowering varieties.
The Osage Orange & Prayer Tower have a tough act to follow.

juniper

juniper

Osage Orange @ Day 37:
IMG 02171 IMG 02151 IMG 02141
Still chuggin' along. It seems slow compared to A13, but should be done in about 3 weeks. Re-tied branches to let more light into the dense canopy. Strong weedy, musty ambient aroma. Strong fruity dank skunk when disturbed.

Apollo 13 @ Day 37:
IMG 02181 IMG 02101IMG 02121
She'll be done here in about 12 days. Intensely sweet and floral, slightly dank smell when rubbed. Mildly sweet aroma while growing.

Vegetative tent:
IMG 02051
Prayer Tower needs a lot of attention to training. This plant needs to have stems here and there thinned, lest I run into light penetration issues like the Osage Orange. Crushing stems is working well though, most of what will be colas are knuckled and gnarled from it. If I'm lucky this will translate to large yields of thick colas.

This A13 run should be much larger yielding than the current. There's 2 plants in 1 bucket this round, and the vegetative time will be over 2 weeks longer than its predecessor.

Albert Walker is growing at an average pace; pushing out more double-serrated leaves.

bagseedwndrs

bagseedwndrs

I forgot to mention that there were originally 3 buckets. In with the clones were a couple GDP bagseeds (likely selfed), which both turned out male. A darn shame if you ask me, 'cause they were nice plants. Pure indica phenotypes with huge maple leaves and thick, deeply grooved, hollow stems. One was slow, but the other was quite vigorous for a pure indica phenotype. If I had the space and inclination I'd have grown out that male and made a few seeds.

Tahoe Alien x Original Indiana Bubblegum will be hereafter referred to as "T.A.B." as I grow weary of writing it out. I will think of a name for this clone at some point. I'm leaning towards Osage Orange. It's a lot like the tree, with it's hedgelike growth, tough/hard wood, and they both produce nasty smelling green balls.

This grow will be a tad small, but I'll have bigger plants next round, since I'm only running 2 buckets at a time from here on out. 3 was just too cramped. I'm expecting 0.5 grams/watt this run, once I select a clone to run for awhile and get her dialed in I'll shoot for 1gram/watt. I've never worked with these genetics before so this is all up in the air...I'm just happy it's finally all legal!

Right now I'm flowering the A13 and TAB in a sort of side by side to see who gets to stay in rotation. There's a hundred clones and seeds I'd like to have, but space is at such a premium!

Now, the A13 will be done before the TAB, but if it trounces the A13 in yield I'll scrap the A13, unless I just absolutely dislike the flavor/high/taste off the TAB. I really don't care for the "baby poop" smell from some OG's (SFV OG, for example, smells thoroughly unpleasant to me) and I hope the TAB doesn't express that. The winner will get flowered against the prayer tower and the process repeats itself. In this way, I can have a staple strain every harvest, and something different so I don't get bored.

As far as the future goes, I'm interested primarily in very short flowering genetics (PNW Grapefruit, C99 crosses, UK cheese, Green Crack, etc.). My 2 tent perpetual setup necessitates quick flowering times. If I had a 75 day flowering strain I would also be vegging for 75 days. Thus, it has to be done in 60 days or less (52 days is ideal) for me to consider a strain worthwhile for my purposes.
Im mr meeseeks look at me! Bro i got one gdp bagseed in veg too. hopefully its the real deal gdp.

juniper

juniper

Haha! I was wondering if anyone would notice the avatar. I'm super excited for season 2.

The flowers my GDP seeds came from weren't actually purple, so I have no idea if it was the real McCoy. The source of these said the flowers that they were found in was some straight-up dank, though, which is why he bothered to keep the beans.

What does your GDP plant look like?

Last edited:
Top Bottom