Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I like how you roll man. Stick it to em every chance we get. Doesnt matter whether Cali or Maine they all want to enrich themselves and dont give 2 shyts about the little guy. Hears a rigid middle finger to all the schmucks and their regulations!!!!! Would have said 2 middle fingers but my right hand was holding a fat azzed blunt!!!

Thank you.

I think I should qualify my comment. I am a free-market capitalist. I'm all about making as much money as we want, but, if in the process you f^ck people over, be prepared to pay the consequenses.

When I was in precious metals, I lived by one pivotal pinciple...

If your going to come up, don't f^ck anyone over doing it. There's plenty of pie to share a slice.

I was considered the only honest metal broker in town. I paid the highest percentages and gave the biggest discounts, and I still made good money. The concept was contageous. By the time my illness forced me to leave the business the other local brokers had reduced their premium bullion spreads by 5%-10% and their payouts on scrap gold rose from 40%-58% up to 70%+ (90%-95% on placer or river gold).

We can do this to the weed market as well. There's no way I know of to legally avoid the tax thing (wink-wink), but we can force the the price so low that those @sshats can't afford to do business in our towns.

Everyone, keep up the good work. And remember, friendship is a far more powerful commodity than money.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm within a few days of being able to produce 1500w(3000w peak) of solar generated power. Put together my own solar generator system with a low amperage 100ah sealed deep cycle battery and a pure sine inverter capable of running senstive electronics with very little signal interference. Should have no problem running 700w of led grow lights, hydroponics system, and ventillation. The thing is, it will be unlikely that it's used for this purpose this winter. The situation with my cousin's health has made my own living situation untenable. I've had to shift my focus to saving the bulk of my money for a new pickup truck, cargo trailer, and (God willing) a piece of land soon.

I installed my own portable cell repeater the other day. I needed off grid internet and the sattelite providers are charging ridiculous amounts for dial-up speeds and data I could use up in one evening. Luckily the cell companies have recently started offering unlimited plans that allow hot spots for reasonable prices.

I did make the mistake of turning on my cell repeater before registering it and they sanctioned everything within a 50' radius of my 5th wheel. I had to walk 50' from my trailer before I could make a call without an error message saying I was using an unauthorised switch (even after I turned it off). Man, they do not f^ck around! Upgraded my plan from prepaid to unlimited no contract and registered my repeater switch with the help of the guy at the Verizon store. My cell WiFi is faster than the DSL up at the house now. If I'm on this property much longer I'll be upgrading to a directional yagi antenna on a pole. Then it'll be f^ckin on!

What does a cell repeater have to do with growing? I'm going to need it to run an automated hydro system once I've gotten that far. Plus, it's just f^ckin cool!

Here's the dream...

Commune for my family (not financial, just residential), bring my niece back from NC and anyone else who wants to come home, including my son if he stops being a d*ck (we were scattered due to CA high cost of living). Set up a small solar farm for all of us, everyone chipping in for necessary arrays. Grow and process pot (all Cali legal). Use composting toilets and trucked in water till we can afford a well and septic system.

My cousin's mom is already doing this successfully. Might camp on her land for a while and upgrade her solar systems (the person who installed them last time didn't fuse them right and they caught fire).

Was able to do Christmas, buy all my solar/cell equipment, covered food, rent, and bills, with $1k left over. Saving $50k-$60k in the next 10-12 months is well within the realm of possibility at this rate. As long as I have a summer grow spot. It's slow going offloading other peoples herb, but then again, it does give a variety of smokables.

Last edited:
Rcubed

Rcubed

I'm within a few days of being able to produce 1500w(3000w peak) of solar generated power. Put together my own solar generator system with a low amperage 100ah sealed deep cycle battery and a pure sine inverter capable of running senstive electronics with very little signal interference. Should have no problem running 700w of led grow lights, hydroponics system, and ventillation. The thing is, it will be unlikely that it's used for this purpose this winter. The situation with my cousin's health has made my own living situation untenable. I've had to shift my focus to saving the bulk of my money for a new pickup truck, cargo trailer, and (God willing) a piece of land soon.

I installed my own portable cell repeater the other day. I needed off grid internet and the sattelite providers are charging ridiculous amounts for dial-up speeds and data I could use up in one evening. Luckily the cell companies have recently started offering unlimited plans that allow hot spots for reasonable prices.

I did make the mistake of turning on my cell repeater before registering it and they sanctioned everything within a 50' radius of my 5th wheel. I had to walk 50' from my trailer before I could make a call without an error message saying I was using an unauthorised switch (even after I turned it off). Man, they do not f^ck around! Upgraded my plan from prepaid to unlimited no contract and registered my repeater switch with the help of the guy at the Verizon store. My cell WiFi is faster than the DSL up at the house now. If I'm on this property much longer I'll be upgrading to a directional yagi antenna on a pole. Then it'll be f^ckin on!

What does a cell repeater have to do with growing? I'm going to need it to run an automated hydro system once I've gotten that far. Plus, it's just f^ckin cool!

Here's the dream...

Commune for my family (not financial, just residential), bring my niece back from NC and anyone else who wants to come home, including my son if he stops being a d*ck (we were scattered due to CA high cost of living). Set up a small solar farm for all of us, everyone chipping in for necessary arrays. Grow and process pot (all Cali legal). Use composting toilets and trucked in water till we can afford a well and septic system.

My cousin's mom is already doing this successfully. Might camp on her land for a while and upgrade her solar systems (the person who installed them last time didn't fuse them right and they caught fire).

Was able to do Christmas, buy all my solar/cell equipment, covered food, rent, and bills, with $1k left over. Saving $50k-$60k in the next 10-12 months is well within the realm of possibility at this rate. As long as I have a summer grow spot. It's slow going offloading other peoples herb, but then again, it does give a variety of smokables.
Good to hear from you. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Right on! If the solar works out, a parts list would be cool. I'd like to set up something like that.

Yeah, sure. Some of the components will be upgraded soon and I'll list the intended upgrades as well.

Right now it's 2x 100w monocrystalline panels (Stay away from the cheap polycrystalline. I think they're like 20%-30% less efficient.), 1x 100ah solar deep cycle, 30a pwm charge controller, and a 1500w pure sine wave ac inverter. Those are just the big parts. All the little stuff like fuses, cables, mounting hardware, and an mc4 tool add up quickly, so be prepared to drop an extra $300-$500 in necessary widgets.

My plan for this array is 10x panels, 4x 100ah batteries, 40a mppt charge controller, and a 3000w (6000w peak) pure sine inverter. The panels are around 5.5a ea but I'm pretty sure I can keep them safely under 40a by running 2x 5x 12v 5.5a 100w panels in parallel then together in series. That would give me 24v @ 27.5a and the batteries set up the same way 2x 2x to make the total output 24v. If I can't run the panels in that configuration (mppt might not allow 24v input, might allow more, maybe only battery config, need to check) then I may be able to run them all in series like the big, house systems. If niether option is viable I'll drop it back to 6x panels 2x 3x parallel/parallel or 3x/4x parallel/parallel. Whatever works to keep it under 40a. The quality 60a mppt's are ridiculously expensive $500- $600 house controllers, where you can still get a nice 40a for around $200.

Four key things you can't skimp on if you want a reliable, efficient, electronics safe system. Mono, not poly, panels, batteries made for a solar system, quality 10ga wire with good shielding, and a true pure sine wave inverter. It may be a good idea to run the big appliances on a cheaper, more efficient, modified sine wave inverter.

I'll keep you posted.

Ceveres

Ceveres

Yeah, sure. Some of the components will be upgraded soon and I'll list the intended upgrades as well.

Right now it's 2x 100w monocrystalline panels (Stay away from the cheap polycrystalline. I think they're like 20%-30% less efficient.), 1x 100ah solar deep cycle, 30a pwm charge controller, and a 1500w pure sine wave ac inverter. Those are just the big parts. All the little stuff like fuses, cables, mounting hardware, and an mc4 tool add up quickly, so be prepared to drop an extra $300-$500 in necessary widgets.

My plan for this array is 10x panels, 4x 100ah batteries, 40a mppt charge controller, and a 3000w (6000w peak) pure sine inverter. The panels are around 5.5a ea but I'm pretty sure I can keep them safely under 40a by running 2x 5x 12v 5.5a 100w panels in parallel then together in series. That would give me 24v @ 27.5a and the batteries set up the same way 2x 2x to make the total output 24v. If I can't run the panels in that configuration (mppt might not allow 24v input, might allow more, maybe only battery config, need to check) then I may be able to run them all in series like the big, house systems. If niether option is viable I'll drop it back to 6x panels 2x 3x parallel/parallel or 3x/4x parallel/parallel. Whatever works to keep it under 40a. The quality 60a mppt's are ridiculously expensive $500- $600 house controllers, where you can still get a nice 40a for around $200.

Four key things you can't skimp on if you want a reliable, efficient, electronics safe system. Mono, not poly, panels, batteries made for a solar system, quality 10ga wire with good shielding, and a true pure sine wave inverter. It may be a good idea to run the big appliances on a cheaper, more efficient, modified sine wave inverter.

I'll keep you posted.
Solar is something I've always been really interested in, but just reading that makes me think it might be too far above my level of comprehension lmao I definitely need to do some more research.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Solar is something I've always been really interested in, but just reading that makes me think it might be too far above my level of comprehension lmao I definitely need to do some more research.

Reads as more complicated than it is. I have an electronics background but most of this is just simple dc circuit stuff you can learn in an afternoon. All you need to know is how series/parallel circuits effect voltage/amperage and Watts law. Other than those simple calculations that require no more than a basic knowledge of arithmetic, just fuse each leg according to the wires capacity, ie 10 gauge wire can handle 30amps of current. The panel's output is on their labels. Wiring in parallel increases current (amps), wiring in series increases potential (voltage). There are tons of guides out there to help figure out what sise components are needed to run certain appliances. There are two basic inverters pure sine wave for sensitive electronics and modified sine wave for everything else. It's a matter of how clean you need the power to be. The cleaner it is, the less efficient it is. You can learn everything you need to know in a couple days. If you have any questions, I can either answer you or refer you to an answer.

What caught me off guard was how quickly the the little things drove up the cost. That, and making a generator specific to solar, ie; a solar battery costs twice what a standard marine deep cycle does and is not designed for engine cranking amperage but instead to provide low and slow current to power appliances over time. A lot of solar product reviews are negative because people didn't do their homework. So many complaints about malfunctioning inverters and inefficient panels. All because "they" used the wrong batteries.

The way I go about learning things like this is reverse engineering other peoples builds. Swapping out their choice in parts for mine. I learned how to build a modern computer this way after studying the parts lists of custom builders. As far as solar goes, the product manufacturers put out great guides and their representatives are very active on forums. They want to help you so you'll buy their stuff.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Wanted to get some input on a COB array I'm looking at buying...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s//ref=mw_dp_a_s?ie=UTF8&k=CF+Grow

CF Grow Dimmable CREE CXB3590 200W 26000LM COB LED Grow Light Full Spectrum - replace HPS 400W Growing Lamp - Indoor Plant Growth Panel Lighting - White

6106JuqzIBL AC SL1500

It has good reviews and, to the best of my knowledge, quality components like Meanwell drivers and CREE 380-780nm COBs. It also has a dimmer so it doesn't roast fresh clones and seedlings. At $315, I don't think I could build a diy much cheaper. I'm thinking two of these 200w models would rock 6-8 plants but I'm not sure if I should only use one and supplement with a couple quality red and blue LED units. Any input? I think it may be a step backwards to use R&B arrays and it would definitely cost more in power consumption and initial cost. I'm leaning heavily towards the COBs alone. Trying to keep the total wattage below 500w. I'll only get 2hrs per 100ah battery at the full 500w so it may take up to six total to keep my batteries above 50% for the veg cycle (that's not including fans but I know the COBs don't use the full 200w). People are saying it only takes one of the 200w 2xCOBs to grow up to six plants but that seems a little hopeful to me and in their pics I've noticed R&B arrays that weren't turned on. I don't know if these are remnants of a previous system or if they're actually being used.

I'm in no hurry, I still need to buy a cargo van and trailer and that'll be $8k-$12k alone (2-4 more mos of saving $).

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm not up on COB technology but I know @sixstring is well versed in building them. Here's a link to his thread.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/sixstrings-led-cob-builds.85163/

He'll probably convince you to build one tho hehe :smoking:

I seriously doubt that. It already seems cheap to me so it would have to be near free to get me to do it. I had all the shoddy crap when I was young and I don't mind paying a little for asthetics now. As long as it doesn't suffer in function for it.

Thanks for the link.

stiffneck

stiffneck

Same here. I really really want solar for our house. Either I am going to have to pay someone to do it or most likely it won't get done. All that looks fucking confusing. I want free energy from the sun...... to then use that energy to replicate the sun.....

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Same here. I really really want solar for our house. Either I am going to have to pay someone to do it or most likely it won't get done. All that looks fucking confusing. I want free energy from the sun...... to then use that energy to replicate the sun.....

I don't suggest anyone install power grid-tied solar without the proper knowledge or at least have an electrical contractor set up the the grid-tie box and inspect the panels. They will be required to pass a code inspection. Even if it's only a switch from docked ac power to a boat or trailer, I still suggest some heavy research first. If you are mechanically inclined you should be able to read up on everything you need to know within a couple days if It's 100% off-grid.

Like I said before, it's a very simple calculation to figure out how much output you'll be able to get from your batteries (voltage/amperage). If you need to figure out how much each appliance pulls through the inverters, they often come with rough tables to calculate consumption. Off of a 100 amp hour battery my 1500watt inverter will run a 500w appliance 2hrs, 1000w=1hr, 250w=4hrs. The most important thing on an off-grid diy build is using a thick enough gauged wire and fusing properly. Always use UL listed components. They'll be labeled with all the information you need to make calculations.

If you want to do diy solar, start with a small project. Anything under 30amp total generated current from the panels and on a single battery (usually 100ah-200ah) can be done cheaply and easily. If you're ambitious and mechanically inclined you should have little problem building an even larger battery powered off-grid system for growing. You don't have to tie it into the house wiring and the batteries will help to maintain a 12/12 for veg.

Don't let the jargon intimidate you. If you're smart enough to grow your own plants, then you're smart enough to wire up off-grid solar. It's a lot cheaper than wiring your whole house.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I finally figured all the solar parts I'll need to power an off-grid grow. Roughly another $1400 on top of the $1100 already spent. Need a total of 5x 100w solar panels, 4x 100ah sla batteries, 1x 40a mppt charge controller, and various little odds and ends.

This should be enough to easily run 2x 200w drivers with 4x COBs and an intake/exhaust fan. I think it would take a few more panels and another battery to add hydro. I decided to upgrade the charge controller from a $30 30a PWM to a $215 40a MPPT. I'm paying more for the efficient monocrystalline panels and with the PWM controller I'm losing that 15%-30% in extra power. The PWM charge controller only reduces the voltage to the batteries and that extra potential is wasted. Where as the MPPT controller converts the excess voltage into more amperage and charges the batteries more quickly and efficiently. The MPPT also gives me the ability to double the total panels by being able to run 2 500w strings. That means I could conceivably run my whole trailer, including the grow, off of one charge controller. (Except for the ac power to the fridge. I can set that up with a few panels, a big battery, the 30a PWM, and a super cheap modified sine inverter. The 12v panel would be run directly from a battery charged by the MPPT. About $700 total, maybe less.)

So, the grow is going to need 5x 100w panels @ $125ea, 4x 100ah batteries @ $180 ea, 1x 40a MPPT charge controller @ $215, 1x 1500w pure sine wave inverter @ $285, and about $500 in fuses, switches, fuse boxes, cables, tools, panel stands, etc. Close to $3k after taxes is not bad compared to a big a$$ monthly power bill. Of course, some of you will need to run heaters as well which would require at least a few panels, a couple of batteries, and another cheap modified sine inverter.

If you want to go all out you can pick up a 60a MPPT controller and run a small house or trailer for around $7k worth of components. That's my goal. Aside from growing our own pot, I can't think of many better ways to say f^ck off to "the Man".

The reason why power companies give such big rebates for grid-tied solar arrays isn't to help the consumer. (even though the rebates are often govt. subsidised.) A homeowner pays on average $30k-$60k for the right to sell power back at a fraction of what the power corps charge. On top of that, the panels generate the most output during peak use hours when the power corps are charging a premium. So the homeowner gets ripped off yet again. I'd rather pay $20k-$25k to store 5kw I actually use in my own batteries than to pay twice that for 10kw, of which the power corps are eating a big chunk of at discount rates. F^ck them and the solar install companies they rode in on.

They don't want us to know this, but we don't need them.

Farmer P

Farmer P

I finally figured all the solar parts I'll need to power an off-grid grow. Roughly another $1400 on top of the $1100 already spent. Need a total of 5x 100w solar panels, 4x 100ah sla batteries, 1x 40a mppt charge controller, and various little odds and ends.

This should be enough to easily run 2x 200w drivers with 4x COBs and an intake/exhaust fan. I think it would take a few more panels and another battery to add hydro. I decided to upgrade the charge controller from a $30 30a PWM to a $215 40a MPPT. I'm paying more for the efficient monocrystalline panels and with the PWM controller I'm losing that 15%-30% in extra power. The PWM charge controller only reduces the voltage to the batteries and that extra potential is wasted. Where as the MPPT controller converts the excess voltage into more amperage and charges the batteries more quickly and efficiently. The MPPT also gives me the ability to double the total panels by being able to run 2 500w strings. That means I could conceivably run my whole trailer, including the grow, off of one charge controller. (Except for the ac power to the fridge. I can set that up with a few panels, a big battery, the 30a PWM, and a super cheap modified sine inverter. The 12v panel would be run directly from a battery charged by the MPPT. About $700 total, maybe less.)

So, the grow is going to need 5x 100w panels @ $125ea, 4x 100ah batteries @ $180 ea, 1x 40a MPPT charge controller @ $215, 1x 1500w pure sine wave inverter @ $285, and about $500 in fuses, switches, fuse boxes, cables, tools, panel stands, etc. Close to $3k after taxes is not bad compared to a big a$$ monthly power bill. Of course, some of you will need to run heaters as well which would require at least a few panels, a couple of batteries, and another cheap modified sine inverter.

If you want to go all out you can pick up a 60a MPPT controller and run a small house or trailer for around $7k worth of components. That's my goal. Aside from growing our own pot, I can't think of many better ways to say f^ck off to "the Man".

The reason why power companies give such big rebates for grid-tied solar arrays isn't to help the consumer. (even though the rebates are often govt. subsidised.) A homeowner pays on average $30k-$60k for the right to sell power back at a fraction of what the power corps charge. On top of that, the panels generate the most output during peak use hours when the power corps are charging a premium. So the homeowner gets ripped off yet again. I'd rather pay $20k-$25k to store 5kw I actually use in my own batteries than to pay twice that for 10kw, of which the power corps are eating a big chunk of at discount rates. F^ck them and the solar install companies they rode in on.

They don't want us to know this, but we don't need them.

Good stuff SJ!! Keep us updated. I pay approx. $2400 per year in electricity and I don't even have an air conditioner. My water heater, furnace, and stove are all gas WTF. I feel like I'm being gouged. UGH!
For my grow I'm using a 315 watt CMH which I believe actually uses around 345, but it's only on for 12 hrs a day. For veg I'm using 144 watts of t5 HO fluorescent which stays on 24 hrs a day. Besides that all I really need is two little 6 in fans to run during lights on and I have a 6 in duct fan running at 50% and a little 4 in duct fan that uses almost no amps.
Any Idea how long before you will have to start replacing batteries?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Good stuff SJ!! Keep us updated. I pay approx. $2400 per year in electricity and I don't even have an air conditioner. My water heater, furnace, and stove are all gas WTF. I feel like I'm being gouged. UGH!
For my grow I'm using a 315 watt CMH which I believe actually uses around 345, but it's only on for 12 hrs a day. For veg I'm using 144 watts of t5 HO fluorescent which stays on 24 hrs a day. Besides that all I really need is two little 6 in fans to run during lights on and I have a 6 in duct fan running at 50% and a little 4 in duct fan that uses almost no amps.
Any Idea how long before you will have to start replacing batteries?

You could probably run your setup and maybe a quartz IR heater with like, 800w-1kw of panels, a 40a MPPT controller, and 5-6 100ah batteries. It might be cheaper for you to buy some COBs then spend less on panels and batteries.

The solar deep-cycle I'm using are sealed lead acid and are built less for cranking amp and more for feeding a low, stable current to an inverter. Probably around 3yrs of regular use kept above 50%, 5yrs above 80%. The more panels you use to keep them topped off, the longer they'll last. If you fully discharge them on a regular basis they'll only last months.

If you're using the appropriate number of panels to cover the current draw, have a large battery array, and keep the heaviest consumption to daylight hours, I wouldn't be surprised if they lasted 7yrs+.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I pay approx. $2400 per year in electricity and I don't even have an air conditioner.

In a lot of reviews I've read people are running window and tralier ACs on pretty small arrays. Most coolers don't require a pure sine inverter so the initial setup is cheaper too. A cheap array will power most refrigerators and freezers as well.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Ground up 2oz of Orange Creamsicle and sacked it up to make oil. Each 1.5x3" bag is averaging 8.5g. There's a dispensary interested in my rosin so I'm extracting an oz to try to sell to them. It's amazing how much I can fit into so few bags. Using a Sharper 5" grinder. Love this little beast. It's saved me so much time.

I'm guessing I'll pull about 12-14g from this batch and again when I grind this jar. But I need to get more bags first.
20180123 063826

Ceveres

Ceveres

Ground up 2oz of Orange Creamsicle and sacked it up to make oil. Each 1.5x3" bag is averaging 8.5g. There's a dispensary interested in my rosin so I'm extracting an oz to try to sell to them. It's amazing how much I can fit into so few bags. Using a Sharper 5" grinder. Love this little beast. It's saved me so much time.

I'm guessing I'll pull about 12-14g from this batch and again when I grind this jar. But I need to get more bags first.
View attachment 773083

Looks like you're getting the hang of that press eh? You aught to shoot a video pressing one of those bags to share with us interested at the farm! Lol I'd like to see it in action if that's not asking too much

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Looks like you're getting the hang of that press eh? You aught to shoot a video pressing one of those bags to share with us interested at the farm! Lol I'd like to see it in action if that's not asking too much

If I can post a video directly without using Youtube. I'll record one from my next batch and see what I can do.

Only squeezed 6.8g out of 2oz of Creamsicle. 11-12% is pretty average but my kush cracks over 20% sometimes.
20180123 095055
20180123 105243
20180123 114704

Latest posts

Top Bottom