Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Beatnick softball! Lololol. Did they all have the same shaved up and slicked over hair cut with long beards. Sporting the same dark Ray-Ban sunglasses and skinny jeans? I bet at least one of them had suspenders and a bowtie. Haha

At least I broke up the pattern, rollin in there like a fat Ted Nugent.

My phone is f^ck't up, I wrote "fat" and autocorrect tried changing it to "gay", ROFL.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The cool snowbirds were who cracked me up the most. The husbands and wives were all wearing the same ride high shorts and tucked in pastel polo golf shirts.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Leaves are stacking tight. Better than I expected for seed born. This is working out. I'm very happy.

20180508 195104
20180508 195120
20180508 195133
20180508 195157
20180508 195209
20180508 195231
20180508 195251
20180508 195302
20180508 195317
20180508 195323
20180508 195331
20180508 195344

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

It's been five days since my beanlings were crusty, curled, cooked, and stalled. Five since the lights were lifted and like eight or so since the transplant. The healthiest have been putting out a full leaf set every two days and now are showing a start of some strong secondaries at the nodes. Hit them with another half dose of Dr Earth Root Zone 2-4-2 today (again, a thank you to @Toaster79 for your suggestion of a frequent light nute regimen and correction of my light placement). I have two that are still struggling a little. The smallest Banana Ice Cream, which is now starting to catch up, and my second Royal Nepal Kush looks a bit anemic, which I hope I solved by moving it away from the fan. I think the new soil under the RNK had been drying out too quickly from the fan. It has tipped easily when it's leaves get a sprinkle of water on them giving me the impression the roots have not properly established themselves.

I like having the fan blowing directly on the plants because it causes thicker, more resilillient stalks that don't break easily, and to the best of my undersranding, provide them with better fluid uptake from the roots. Learned about the necessity of wind on growing vegetation when I read a paper on some troubles with trees in an Arizona(?) biodome. They had trees in the jungle zone with branches snapping off and even whole trees cracking and falling over. A lot of head banging turned into a giant facepalm when they realised they had to regrow the trees under windy conditions to increase their elasticity or they'd become brittle and incapable of carrying their own weight. So don't forget to let the air blow on your plants, they will be less likely to snap when the buds get heavy.

20180510 053419
20180510 053430
20180510 053438

To me, this is a sign of a healthy, biologically rich, soil. Here's where some good probiotic nutes with molasses come into play by feeding the mycorrhizae.
20180510 053611

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow log 5/11/18

20180511 053918
20180511 053932

The Kush is still wimpy and I just can't figure out wtf is wrong with it. I really want this plant to succeed because I had very few RNK seeds. If this one dies and the other goes male I'll only have one more chance with my last seed (unless I find more, which is a decent possibility but not a certainty). It'd be a shame to loose these genetics since I'm planning on doing some clones for a perpetual grow and genetics exchanges. The exchanges may have the same ol sh*t so far from other people like Gorilla Glue or Blue Dream but maybe I can be the person to bring a little diversity. A few ears perked when I mentioned the Banana strains.
20180511 053938

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

If the weak RNK dies and the other goes male, then I have one more bean, but this time it would be under optimal conditions. I think I have a better than 50% chance for a fem with the healthy one. Up until a few days ago there was plenty of ethylene gas in the tent, I've been letting them go cold at night, and the light cycle is fairly short at 16hrs. Backed the lights off while most of their third leaf sets were barely started so they should be ok there.

I'm hopeful for a bumper of fems.

Farmer P

Farmer P

If the weak RNK dies and the other goes male, then I have one more bean, but this time it would be under optimal conditions. I think I have a better than 50% chance for a fem with the healthy one. Up until a few days ago there was plenty of ethylene gas in the tent, I've been letting them go cold at night, and the light cycle is fairly short at 16hrs. Backed the lights off while most of their third leaf sets were barely started so they should be ok there.

I'm hopeful for a bumper of fems.

Good vibes your way Bro! I'm hoping to see the sister RNK. Now you're set up to clone and keep her. Hopefully it's the bigger and better sister!!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Good vibes your way Bro! I'm hoping to see the sister RNK. Now you're set up to clone and keep her. Hopefully it's the bigger and better sister!!

They both appeared to be pretty vigorous when they started. I've got a good feeling that it's a she. It'd be great if both are fems and I can recover the weak one. I let it fall over a bit today instead of propping it up with hopes that it might stress some root growth to anchor it.

The little Banana Ice Cream is finally starting to take off like her sisters. Been taking a few pics with my Pentax in preparation for Photo Contest quality shots down the road. As soon as I scrape some scrill together I'm gonna buy some canned air and take another shot at cleaning it's sensor. The lint and dust last year were a b*tch. I really really want to get a prime lens before we get too far into the season. My zoom lenses cant give the depth of field like a prime (fixed) lens can. Looking forward to getting multiple sets of buds in focus instead of just a couple or three. I had some good opportunities for great pics last year but the zooms weren't giving me what I was seeing through the viewfinder. I think the right prime can fix that and give me the ability for a shot at a win in the POTM contest.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 5/14/18 Daily
20180514 050638
20180514 050645

The roots a little below the base of the stalk on the RN Kush feel soft. It fell completely over when it got wet. I saw some exposed thread roots above the surface so I packed some dirt around it and supported it with a chopstick. I would have culled it if the newest leaves didn't look so healthy, but should I still? It only wobbles on one axis like the upper part of the root runs parallel to the surface them weakens as it turns down. Will this plant possibly take again if the root has severe damage, like a clone does. Should I trim the leaf surface areas to limit transpiration, like a fresh clone, or just leave it be?
20180514 050652
20180514 050717

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

After struggling through the first month.
20180504 104815

10 days after backing the lights off and dimming the 200watt.
20180514 050717

What a difference. I'm betting my next set of plants will be twice this sise in the same period of time.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Ok-ok-ok, here's my idea... I grow the weak RNK out, just enough for it to show sex, then pull clones if fem. That way, if the other RNK goes male and what's wrong with the weak one is just damaged roots or bad soil, then I could still get good phenos from a weak plant. Since it's current state isn't likely a good representation of it's actual traits and the clones would more likely take the physical traits of the sister (hopeful). With it propped, I think it will get big enough to preflower and clone, maybe even heal. Though healing doesn't seem likely since the newest leaves are showing the same damage as the older ones.

Farmer P

Farmer P

Ok-ok-ok, here's my idea... I grow the weak RNK out, just enough for it to show sex, then pull clones if fem. That way, if the other RNK goes male and what's wrong with the weak one is just damaged roots or bad soil, then I could still get good phenos from a weak plant. Since it's current state isn't likely a good representation of it's actual traits and the clones would more likely take the physical traits of the sister (hopeful). With it propped, I think it will get big enough to preflower and clone, maybe even heal. Though healing doesn't seem likely since the newest leaves are showing the same damage as the older ones.

Sup SJ. I say stick with it. There's a good chance it will pop out of it so to speak and take off. I bet that's what will happen. I get that a lot. Sometimes one doesn't do well at first but it ends up great. Give her a chance!

Everything looks great. It would be cool to make a time lapse out of your daily log. Maybe try and take the pic from the same spot once a day.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Sup SJ. I say stick with it. There's a good chance it will pop out of it so to speak and take off. I bet that's what will happen. I get that a lot. Sometimes one doesn't do well at first but it ends up great. Give her a chance!

Everything looks great. It would be cool to make a time lapse out of your daily log. Maybe try and take the pic from the same spot once a day.

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I was considering culling the RNK was to try and limit any diseases from spreading. But I don't think that's what this is about. I think something went wrong during transplanting. Maybe I slightly bruised or broke the stalk in the process.

I'll try to take the shot from the same spot but no guarantees. I want to do these dailies so brand new growers can get a grasp of how long it takes and at what stage their girls might be at so many days. I would have liked to see a grow log with dailies when I first started.

My Pentax doesn't have Bluetooth or I'd get this Pluto trigger that can set up time lapse shots like you're saying. Maybe I'll pick up another Sony a5000 like I bought my mom so I can get the trigger. Sick little super intuitive and easy to use mirrorless DSLR with no viewfinder, only a very nice digital screen. Takes amazing AF shots. I had soooo much fun with hers before I sent it too her. Even used a couple of it's pics for last year's grow log.

Top Bottom