Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RHINObeast

RHINObeast

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I was considering culling the RNK was to try and limit any diseases from spreading. But I don't think that's what this is about. I think something went wrong during transplanting. Maybe I slightly bruised or broke the stalk in the process.

I'll try to take the shot from the same spot but no guarantees. I want to do these dailies so brand new growers can get a grasp of how long it takes and at what stage their girls might be at so many days. I would have liked to see a grow log with dailies when I first started.

My Pentax doesn't have Bluetooth or I'd get this Pluto trigger that can set up time lapse shots like you're saying. Maybe I'll pick up another Sony a5000 like I bought my mom so I can get the trigger. Sick little super intuitive and easy to use mirrorless DSLR with no viewfinder, only a very nice digital screen. Takes amazing AF shots. I had soooo much fun with hers before I sent it too her. Even used a couple of it's pics for last year's grow log.
If it’s truly root issues and you want it to bounce back I’d check out rhizotonic by canna. I use this to make roots explode from clone, Some even use this in their regular feeds but I use it when I clone in an ez cloner and when I transplant to their 5 gallon buckets. It seriously impacted my roots in a good way!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 5/15/18 Daily
20180515 050916
20180515 050928
20180515 050938
20180515 051004

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

If it’s truly root issues and you want it to bounce back I’d check out rhizotonic by canna. I use this to make roots explode from clone, Some even use this in their regular feeds but I use it when I clone in an ez cloner and when I transplant to their 5 gallon buckets. It seriously impacted my roots in a good way!

Tentatively on my Amazon shopping list. Gotta get the scrill together first and I won't use anything that doesn't list their ingredients. So, before I use rhizotonic I have to see the list. Here's what I used last year and on my current grow...

Dr Earth Root Zone, and aside from the weak RNK, it has not failed me. Also keeps near to the ingredients I'll be using on the outdoor grow this year (Maybe indoor as well but still toying with the idea of Advanced Nutrients products).

20180515 060303

Farmer P

Farmer P

I use Rhizotonic until the plants are up to their 7 blade leaves. I'm considering cutting it out next time I run out because it's so expensive. I guess after I cut it out if my roots and or yields suffer I'll have to bring it back. My guess is that I won't. I think a little mycorrhizae will be good enough. I am trying out the +life from Hydroponic Research right now. I think it has three types of mycorrhizae and lots of other bennies. $20 for what seems like a pretty good supply. Should last a long time.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I use Rhizotonic until the plants are up to their 7 blade leaves. I'm considering cutting it out next time I run out because it's so expensive. I guess after I cut it out if my roots and or yields suffer I'll have to bring it back. My guess is that I won't. I think a little mycorrhizae will be good enough. I am trying out the +life from Hydroponic Research right now. I think it has three types of mycorrhizae and lots of other bennies. $20 for what seems like a pretty good supply. Should last a long time.

If this were last year I would have already ordered it. I read the reviews and every one said it works great, with one complaint, they say that it bumps the ph from around 6 up to 9 and it has to be adjusted down. No biggie if it works so well. I saw that someone said it's cost is only like $0.26 per gal. So the cost is all up front and it appears to last quite a while.

I just don't have the scratch this year but even if I did the market still hasn't recovered enough for me to justify the purchase of expensive consumables. Hardware, on the other hand, is dirt cheap right now and I'm diving right on into that. Cannabis nutes have been legitimised by all the recent legalisation and now the yuppie gardeners have tried them and have a taste for how capable they are for growing great veggies and fruits. This is going to keep our costs up for a bit. Last time I was at the hydro store I was the only one there looking for weed supplies. The rest of the people were asking how Fox Farm, Earth Juice, and Advanced Nutrients, etc... would work on their tomatoes. This is a good thing in the long run because legitimacy brings regulation. Well, at least it gets rid of a good chunk of the snake oil products.

The equipment is often more canna specific which gives us growers a nice little window to take advantage of the lull in the grey market. This also has given us the chance to see if we can get the same results or better using inexpensive, non-standard, growing techniques.

The Lucky Dog K-9 Kube I bought (for half price because it was wet, $25) is loaded with mycorrhizae. The manager had already shown me the heavy peat and pearlite ratios and as soon as mycorrhizae left his mouth I told him "I'll take it". Have had no complaints. It smell soooo good too, like when the first rains hit the soil. If they could turn that smell into incense I'd burn it 24/7 in my home.

This is going to be a learning season for me, and since I'm sure I'll be able to grow again outside next year, I'll actually prepare my 200gal smartpots early enough this Fall/Winter that they can go dormant while the earthworms and mycorrhizae get down undisturbed.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

For all the pricks living in $10 million dollar homes because they wanted a view (and monopolise everyone else's), take a bite out of this churro... I only pay $500mo for this little slice of paradise. And the only thing that breaks up my view of the oaks, pines, and (well controlled) manzanita, is the tip top of my neighbors greenhouse/barn. I can't think of a better structure to spoil a view, and it really doesnt.

(Can't say I was ever one of the pricks in the $10 mil house but I was next door in the $3.5 million one, lol)

So, here's my new spot. I've decided to put my living room outside under that great awning. It'll be home to my VR, 32" TV, a couple of grow tents, my camp chef stove/ flat iron grill/BBQ, projector for summer movies (not purchased yet), and a number of folding papasan (comfy) chairs for guests. Getting the power set up this week. I want my 200gal smartpots moved down here because I have a perfect sunny area in front of the trailer, but it's too close to a road so my cous won't go for it. We're going to put up one of those big oak camo nets over the whole area for shade and privacy. I'm totally f^ckin stoked!!! This is my dream lot.

20180515 140245

I was talking geothermal cooling for the grow tents before and I think I've got a good idea of how to do it. I'm thinking a 5'-6' deep hole x 4'-6' square. Run a length of copper pipe down it, with some wire potato masher looking returns at the bottom, then back up and filled with soil. The return passing through a series of attached aluminum fins with thermal conductive paste at the connections. Water pumped up through a small fountain on my porch and back into the ground. Still dialing in the design of the short underground stretch of ducting that will be passed through by the heat sink fins and pushed into the grow tents. I'll install the fins/plates at an angle to give them more contact with flowing air. The fountain will serve as a reservoir and easy access to keep the water clean and fresh. Should keep my porch cool too, win/win.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

...I could run the copper pipes through the ducting and will probably do that now that I'm thinking about it. The fins are an unnecessary expense, though very cool. I was thinking about using a small radiator at first and still haven't completely thrown that idea out yet.

Farmer P

Farmer P

If this were last year I would have already ordered it. I read the reviews and every one said it works great, with one complaint, they say that it bumps the ph from around 6 up to 9 and it has to be adjusted down. No biggie if it works so well. I saw that someone said it's cost is only like $0.26 per gal. So the cost is all up front and it appears to last quite a while.

I just don't have the scratch this year but even if I did the market still hasn't recovered enough for me to justify the purchase of expensive consumables. Hardware, on the other hand, is dirt cheap right now and I'm diving right on into that. Cannabis nutes have been legitimised by all the recent legalisation and now the yuppie gardeners have tried them and have a taste for how capable they are for growing great veggies and fruits. This is going to keep our costs up for a bit. Last time I was at the hydro store I was the only one there looking for weed supplies. The rest of the people were asking how Fox Farm, Earth Juice, and Advanced Nutrients, etc... would work on their tomatoes. This is a good thing in the long run because legitimacy brings regulation. Well, at least it gets rid of a good chunk of the snake oil products.

The equipment is often more canna specific which gives us growers a nice little window to take advantage of the lull in the grey market. This also has given us the chance to see if we can get the same results or better using inexpensive, non-standard, growing techniques.

The Lucky Dog K-9 Kube I bought (for half price because it was wet, $25) is loaded with mycorrhizae. The manager had already shown me the heavy peat and pearlite ratios and as soon as mycorrhizae left his mouth I told him "I'll take it". Have had no complaints. It smell soooo good too, like when the first rains hit the soil. If they could turn that smell into incense I'd burn it 24/7 in my home.

This is going to be a learning season for me, and since I'm sure I'll be able to grow again outside next year, I'll actually prepare my 200gal smartpots early enough this Fall/Winter that they can go dormant while the earthworms and mycorrhizae get down undisturbed.

I just use the + life at transplant and in teas I bubble up weekly. Probably gonna be more like two cents per gallon.
Your 5th wheel looks cool. Its better to spend some time outdoors anyway. Fresh air and all that. Geothermal cooling, now your thinking. Badass!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Was going to transplant the outdoor already but decided to wait till they're sexed. Also trying to get the cash together for amendments first. Been a real tight month.

Been getting some mold on the soil in the shady spots a long with some slime algae. Backed off on the watering and wiped it from the surface out into the light. Is there a non damaging UV light I can hang in there or should I add a super small amount of bleach next feeding? Is it even a problem? Looks like it prefers the first potting soil but it grows on the Lucky Dog as well. It was just bad soil I started them in. That's what I get for buying grow supplies from Kmart.

Farmer P

Farmer P

Was going to transplant the outdoor already but decided to wait till they're sexed. Also trying to get the cash together for amendments first. Been a real tight month.

Been getting some mold on the soil in the shady spots a long with some slime algae. Backed off on the watering and wiped it from the surface out into the light. Is there a non damaging UV light I can hang in there or should I add a super small amount of bleach next feeding? Is it even a problem? Looks like it prefers the first potting soil but it grows on the Lucky Dog as well. It was just bad soil I started them in. That's what I get for buying grow supplies from Kmart.

Pictures?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Pictures?

Nah, I already scraped it off before I thought to do that. Was the white fuzzy like cotton fiber mold and the algae (or a different mold) looked like the shimmer of slug/snail tracks and was dark green. I think it was from over watering. Nothing grew on the plants, unless that's what was effecting the weakened RNK.

Didn't know if there was a supplemental UV light that could be left on with the regular grow lights or if I needed one that I could only run for short periods as not to damage the plants. Not too worried. If it comes back then I'll look at further options. I need to look up whether a super diluted bleach is safe to use. I think I remember reading it was.

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

Nah, I already scraped it off before I thought to do that. Was the white fuzzy like cotton fiber mold and the algae (or a different mold) looked like the shimmer of slug/snail tracks and was dark green. I think it was from over watering. Nothing grew on the plants, unless that's what was effecting the weakened RNK.

Didn't know if there was a supplemental UV light that could be left on with the regular grow lights or if I needed one that I could only run for short periods as not to damage the plants. Not too worried. If it comes back then I'll look at further options. I need to look up whether a super diluted bleach is safe to use. I think I remember reading it was.
It’s just overwatering for sure, hey you’re used to feeding monsters!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Yeah I think I see it. I was worried it was on the plants, thinking powdery mildew. That stuff scares me. Plants are looking good. :cool:

It’s just overwatering for sure, hey you’re used to feeding monsters!

From my reading, it's not necessarily the mold that's the problem. I guess it's the fungus gnats it attracts that vector disease (if I said that right, that term is used in such a weird way). It's growing again on the surface of the soil but out in the light now too. After I get settled into my new trailer I may bring them out and let them sit in the shade for a few hours, for a few days. That may kill off the mold. It may be the combo of this soil's ability to retain water and the Root Zone I've been feeding them that's exacerbating the problem. Need to switch over to a regular veg nute. Oh, how I do want to get some more AN nutes this year but they were like $11-$30 per quart last year. If I can't do it on this set then I'll try for the next set. Fox Farms did well by me last year but I didn't use them till bloom. I need to break out the FF chart and see what I need.

As far as outdoor, I still have that big expensive bag of slightly hot bat guano from last year. It worked great until they flipped, then it burned em a bit, but I really can't complain about how my girls turned out. If I do a single top dress after they reroot it should be enough to release nitrogen right into the flip. I've already got a fiver of that Kelp Zone 1-0-17 tea. All I need is fish meal, crab meal, molasses, and a bubble snake/pump kit. I think? Or is that combo only for veg? Sh*t, I need to do some studying and I don't have the time this weekend.

I do know I'm going to run FF salts on them again this year. Still have full containers of Cha Ching and Open Sesame, and a quarter container of Beastie Bloomz. You get lots of bang for your buck with those salts.

Thanks you guys for the compliments and help. The indoor is important to me but nowhere near the pressure my outdoor was. So I'm not really stressed now that I'm not cooking them with the lights anymore. My outdoor investment was way too big last year and that sh*t was unforgiving (not in resiliency but that I only had one shot). This year I'm growing for fun and personal smoke and I'm confident I'll have a harvest, or two, or three.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 5/18/18 Daily

Sh*t! These plants are taking the f^ck off. I turned the dimmer on the 200w up to 80% yesterday and their leaves drooped a little. Dialed it back to 75% again and they perked right back up. These lights are some powerful little beasts. Warily backing off on water even further. Testing with a probe twice a day, this soil is really living up to it's rep with the water retention and sluffing. Need to get at least six outside, maybe eight, to give some room im the tent. So this will split into and indoor/outdoor grow log very soon.
20180518 074804
20180518 074812
20180518 074824
20180518 074837

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

To the best of my knowledge my cousin is not doing a big grow this year so I'm giving him my little Bananna Ice Cream and Royal Nepal Kush (He's really enjoyed it too) to augment a few GG or Trainwreck he's picking up. I'll probably pull a few clones from his plants and I'll pull clones from the fem RNK if one of them goes male. If both do I'll start my last RNK bean and hope to find more in what's left of last year's harvest.

Top Bottom