Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 7/17/18 #3

It's 2:30 and 96F. They seem to be doing fine. Showing only the normal stress for these temps in direct sun.

20180717 142334
20180717 142318
20180717 142354

Wishbone

Wishbone

Wow! Been away from the forum for a while but just caught up with your grow, looking amazing! Started some seeds myself this go around, much more interesting than starting with clones. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

What do you feel it too hot for outdoor? I have been seeing up to 110 in my greenhouse even with the door and one side open.

Fans, fans, fans...

It's important to make sure you have good air circulation and a little shade. If your greenhouse is hitting 110F it direly needs to be improved. As the temps move above 80F your girls will start having to put more energy into fluid circulation to cool themselves and growth will begin to stall. Your target temps should be between 70-80F. I know that isn't necessarily possible without an expensive cooling system but the closer you get the more energy they can put towards growth. It's possible a 20% shade cloth, like mine, laid over the top of the greenhouse along with improved air circulation will help. Maybe put it on while the temps are above 90F and remove on the cooler days (test it and adjust accordingly). The commercial greenhouse in my pics allows a lot less light in than your greenhouse. I was really surprised at it's opacity when I first saw it and could barely believed anything would grow in it. After seeing the results I was amazed at how effective it was (not my girls or greenhouse so I don't publish pics and it only has a veggie garden this year anyway).

I consulted with a master gardener and teacher who works at a local nursery last year when I was first starting out. She's the one who taught me that most cannabis aren't full sun plants and grow much better under a light canopy of trees or shade cloth. It's one of the reasons why they grow so well in forested mountain areas. The pines/redwoods let in just enough light but not too much.

You'll get it dialed in and you'll get dramatically improved growth once you cool that greenhouse down. Once the leaves stay perky during the hottest part of the day you're nearing the right temps.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Sky's the limit now! I think they are going to be as tall as the hoop house. You're gonna need a ladder to harvest lol. Great work!

Thanks again. I wish ROFL. The pics of the greenhouse are deceptive. That thing is tall. I think it's over 20'. That's why it makes my girls look so tiny.

Maybe even a bucket truck lol

Sh*t!, I wish. LOL

---------------------------------------------------
Maybe use a ladder & chainsaw to harvest like some growers have to on this forum. Check out the Tree Pics thread. Some of the bases are over a foot across.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

What do you feel it too hot for outdoor? I have been seeing up to 110 in my greenhouse even with the door and one side open.

My girls under a shade cloth for the whole season last year. I planted around mid June, harvested mid-Oct thru early Nov. They reached over 8' and had many colas over 2' tall.

This is a pic of only the three Royal Nepal Kush. The Orange Creamsicle were shorter but that was due to my bad training and too much shade under an oak at one one end of the garden. I fixed the shade problem this year by moving all six to the sunny end.

(Oh, and they were infested with 2spot spider mites. Stupid Borg probably stunted them a bit but at least the Kush were somewhat resistant. The Creamsicle were not so lucky.)

Grow Log 3452 10 07 2017
20171008 142824

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 7/19/18 #1

Flowering nutes. Starting them on the Fox Farms trio of salts and my free fiver of Biodiversity Krazy Kelp tea the guy at the hydro store gave me. Well, kinda free. I gave him 2 oz of Orange Creamsicle cause he knocked down the price of my K9 Kube almost 60%, and kicked down the Krazy Kelp tea.

Starting with Open Sesame 5-45-19 for early flowering and Krazy Kelp tea 1-0-17.

Will move on to Beastie Bloomz 0-5-30 mid cycle. Then Cha Ching 5-50-10 for late cycle to the flush before harvest. I didn't start flower nutes till late in the bud cycle last year. Missed the chance to use Open Sesame and didn't know enough about nutes to ever start Cha Ching. I had so much money sunk into them and was such a noob that I didn't want to risk hurting them. This year my buds are going to be "mmm-waah" tasty. Today, I am near fearless an totally laaaid back. Its f^ckin on! Oh yeah, they're gonna be sooo nasty sticky.

20180719 064401

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I can't find Krazy Kelp tea feeding measurements anywhere so I'll just mix it like I did with the nutes I used last year at 2 cups per 10 gallons water. We'll see how they react. I'm mixing the salts at a half dose according to the instructions "as combined with other nutrients". There's still a fresh guano topping but it should be fine because I used far less than last year and the girls are still nitrogen hungry.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 7/19/18 #3

Heat of the day, 95F. The leaves have very little droop to them and mostly on the Banana Ice Cream. The parent plants must've been grown in a much cooler zone. The Orange Creamsicle is showing almost zero sign of stress. The benefit of being conceived in these temps. The Idunnoes seems almost indifferent to the heat. The Banana Crack, on the other hand, is taking a giant SH*T on all of them as it waves it's huge middle fingers at the sun and taunts, "Bring it on b*tch!!!" Meanwhile adding several inches to both, stalks, and well established, already full sise, primary fan leaves.

20180719 131205

I am not so hearty. My weak a$$ has a USB computer fan blowing in my face and hooked to a 10,000ma backup battery to keep me cool enough to take these pics.
20180719 132751

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 7/20/18

Banana Ice Cream
20180720 090738

Banana Ice Cream
20180720 090757

Banana Crack
20180720 090831

Banana Ice Cream
20180720 090840

Orange Creamsicle
20180720 090857

Idunnoes
20180720 090647

20180720 091124

The little Banana Ice Cream is developing red on youngest leaves and stalks. Could be the change in cycles or new nutes.
20180720 093938
20180720 095819
20180720 095756

I think this is f^ckin paper wasps. No sign of any other critters doing this. Top leaves, outside sets, so it's probably flyers and the wasps do this kind of damage.
20180720 100345

Last edited:
Rcubed

Rcubed

Grow Log 7/20/18

Banana Ice Cream
View attachment 816842
Banana Ice Cream
View attachment 816843
Banana Crack
View attachment 816853
Banana Ice Cream
View attachment 816854
Orange Creamsicle
View attachment 816860
Idunnoes
View attachment 816861

View attachment 816862
The little Banana Ice Cream is developing red on youngest leaves and stalks. Could be the change in cycles or new nutes.
View attachment 816863 View attachment 816872 View attachment 816873

I think this is f^ckin paper wasps. No sign of any other critters doing this. Top leaves, outside sets, so it's probably flyers and the wasps do this kind of damage.
View attachment 816874
I't would be cool to have a video cam on it to catch the culprits. That damage looks similar to the earwig damage I was having about a month ago. I'm not saying that's what it is, only that the damage is very similar. I'd still rather have some leaf damage than the damage that caterpillars or mites cause to the flowers.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I't would be cool to have a video cam on it to catch the culprits. That damage looks similar to the earwig damage I was having about a month ago. I'm not saying that's what it is, only that the damage is very similar. I'd still rather have some leaf damage than the damage that caterpillars or mites cause to the flowers.

Was checking on the girls during the hottest part of the day yesterday for dehydration or adverse effects from the recent feeding. One of those little bastard wasps flew into the top leaves on the Idunnoes and took out a chunk. I guess I'll consider it their wages for their bug hunting services. I have seen an odd earwig in the branches here and there so I'm sure they're taking a paycheck as well. I have a f^ck-ton of predators on my girls this year though I might have lost a few when I pulled the shade cloth. I'll dust the soil with DE if the earwigs are becoming too much of a nuisance.

I absolutely agree, predator damage is much better than having mites but I'm suspicious that I might have them again. Just moved last month so I had to hunt through some boxes for my jeweler's loupes today but was already too overheated to get back up there and pluck some test leaves. Will do it in the morning after I water. I had aphids this year and I think they were the big draw for the predators. Mites don't seem to attract them much. Will do another Spinosad spray tomorrow evening. It doesn't appear to hurt most of my predators. I've had lacewings, mantids, beetles, earwigs, wasps, ladybugs, and even birds hunting on them. So, as long as the Borg don't show up again I have enough help to keep my insecticides to a minimum. That's great cause Azamax is expensive and I'm pretty poor this year. Fingers crossed that I don't find mites.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Walking down my new nature path on the way back from my garden to my trailer and noticed a set of trees I never payed attention to before. It looks like a small scrub oak fell over onto a manzanita and the manzanita caught it like a crutch. Then the manzanita wrapped itself around the oak (if you don't know manzanita, they grow in spirals, pretty freaky looking trees).

20180720 144300
20180720 144522
20180720 144502
20180721 040107

These temps turn me nocturnal. Got my little 32" set up on a cooler outside. Nothing better than binge-watching The Expanse at 4am and 72F.
20180721 040416

Top Bottom