Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wishbone

Wishbone

Thanks man. The beginning of harvest season is delightful for outdoor growers. The girls begin to put out their perfume and the flower die back and start to swell. This is my favorite part of the season, even more than harvest. Harvest is too busy to enjoy everything but right now there's nothing to do but experience the look and smell of the ripening fruit. I sooo still stink like bananas right now just from tying off and moving a few branches around. It's like I took a swim in a banana sundae, rofl.

Haha, awesome. Love the florals as well, my shed is finally smelling like a candy shop.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Haha, awesome. Love the florals as well, my shed is finally smelling like a candy shop.

I was just over checking out your grow thread. Very niiice! Now that I know about the interference to my WiFi from my COBs I can work around them for a signal.

Those indoor grows are tricky. My tent is a challenge every time I use it, so kudos to all you indoor growers and your steep learning curve. While us outdoor guys just cruise along and let the sun do all the heavy lifting, haha.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I was going to say "transplanted", but in the interest of using more technically correct terminology I will say, I "up-planted" my beanlings to 3 gal pots. Saw a few white root tips sticking out of the hole at the bottom of the bigger Royal Nepal Kush and decided to give them more soil before they lose momentum to root binding. They "should" grow right through the walls of the peat pots now that they're in wet soil, fingers crossed. They are in the same Fox Farm Lucky Dog soil mix I started them in so there should be zero problems with unequal hydro dispersion. It was a rough start with so much pearlite but we'll see if it pays off in their ability to more readily uptake nutrients. Left the double 200w COB at around 37% and kicked on the 67w COB at a slightly higher elevation. Made sure the smaller two Banana Ice Cream are under the weaker dimmed 200w so they can harden off more easily. In about 24hrs I'll raise the 200w even with the 67w and increase it's power to 50%. By 48hrs I should be able to increase the 200w to around 67% to equal the intensity of the 67w.

It's getting colder and the larger pots will be less susceptible to temperature changes.

2x Royal Nepal Kush x Chocolate Diesel (left), 2x Banana Ice Cream (right)
20180916 143813
20180916 143823

Last edited:
justiceman

justiceman

Grow Log 9/16/18

The girls are getting heavy and leaning, so I did some more tying off to stabilise them. Moved a few branches around for better sun and some trichs rubbed off on my hand from the sugar leaves. Wow! These really do taste like banana, banana and diesel. Super pungent. So excited!
View attachment 829980 View attachment 829979 View attachment 829984 View attachment 829983 View attachment 829982 View attachment 829981 View attachment 829986 View attachment 829985
The beanlings have quickly developed root systems and are ready for transplant. Has anyone transplanted peat pots before? Supposedly I can just stick them in the new pots and they'll grow through them. If that actually works I'd prefer it. Can eliminate transplant stress, but I don't want to do that and in trade bind the roots up while the peat loosens. Will go ahead and leave them in the peat pots for transfer unless someone says otherwise.
View attachment 829992
Hahaha I love how they are leaning from the weight. Gonna be a bumper crop no doubt about it :D. Yup no worries on the peat pots. They definitely break down and let the roots through. They key is for them to stay moist. If they are too dry they don't break down, but this is over a long period of course.
Thanks man. The beginning of harvest season is delightful for outdoor growers. The girls begin to put out their perfume and the flower die back and start to swell. This is my favorite part of the season, even more than harvest. Harvest is too busy to enjoy everything but right now there's nothing to do but experience the look and smell of the ripening fruit. I sooo still stink like bananas right now just from tying off and moving a few branches around. It's like I took a swim in a banana sundae, rofl.
Man you said it. Once harvest comes around it's gonna be a bunch of WORK :drunk:. All worth it though:) Looking good out here. Everything is nice and lush.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I see your wand and hose there, what are you using to mix nutes in and get them in/to the hose? I have been using a 20 gal bucket and letting the water gas off overnight then water with a pitcher, but was thinking about making a gravity fed tank outside of the GH for next year but how do you meter the volume?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I see your wand and hose there, what are you using to mix nutes in and get them in/to the hose? I have been using a 20 gal bucket and letting the water gas off overnight then water with a pitcher, but was thinking about making a gravity fed tank outside of the GH for next year but how do you meter the volume?

I'm mixing right into a 5'er and pouring them in. Then follow with a nice drench with the aerator wand. I have never let nutes sit... Sh*t, are we 'spose to? Pwaaaahaaahaha! The big tank in the background is for my cousin's house, not my girls. I measure out nutes for 10gal, put em, in the 5'er, dump in the pots, and follow up with the hose. I never measure my water anymore and I only feed about half I'm directed to. So I rarely overfeed. These feeding charts have ridiculous and expensive feeding guidelines. You follow their instructions and your likely to burn the sh*t out of your girls. You definitely don't ever want to mix a two part, or three part mix and let it sit (ie, A+B, A+B+C). Those are separated because certain nutes/minerals/salts solidify when mixed in a suspension. Then they clog hydro feed lines and become unavailable for uptake in soil. Learned that from the Cannabis Encyclopedia when I was trying to find out why manuf. separated them into two/three part nute solutions in the first place. I don't measure water anymore because each of my girls is more/less thirsty than the others.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Hahaha I love how they are leaning from the weight. Gonna be a bumper crop no doubt about it :D. Yup no worries on the peat pots. They definitely break down and let the roots through. They key is for them to stay moist. If they are too dry they don't break down, but this is over a long period of course.

Man you said it. Once harvest comes around it's gonna be a bunch of WORK :drunk:. All worth it though:) Looking good out here. Everything is nice and lush.

Oh, the hairs are rolling back and the bracts are beginning to get juicy. As I inhale the fruity smell from the blooms, I feel the sting of the tiny crystals on my tongue, so sweet, so sour. A lovely palate tease.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Oh, sorry. Was stoned and forgot to answer your question. I do know how to feed from the nute tank. First, in case you want to find one, that is a several hundred gallon commercial agricultural pesticide/fertiliser tank. We use a sump pump and a heavy duty hose with an large as possible inside diameter for a good flow rate. On the wand end we attach a water counter. We burn through a lot of meters when feeding. The nutes wreck the little propeller along with the pressure of the sump pump. It's good if you can get a smaller pump, or even better, if they make one with a variable flow rate. We use a snow shovel to churn the mixes through a big hole cut in the top. We use the water counter to calculate 50 gal marks on the tank the first fill. Then we never had to measure a fill again and we could watch the rate at which we're watering from both sides. We did the calculations so we knew exactly what plant we should be on at what point in the tank. Then we could reset the water hose on each plant and we had a point of comparison to make sure we weren't getting off track.

(FYI, Hard to find an aerator that doesn't get plugged by the nutes. We had one that was a capsule shaped metal soaker that eventually clogged beyond cleaning.)

Hope I answered ya.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

...wanted to add. If you're using city water, letting it sit overnight can never hurt. I'm on well water which has it's own troubles. I'm in soil composed of red clay and decomposing granite. Everything I put it on leaves mineral deposits/water spots. I need to get an RO (reverse osmosis) filtration system. One of the best filtration systems that I know of and perfect for watering our girls.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Found out yesterday nothing conclusive re: whether I have lymphoma. Still have prominent lymph nodes in the iliac and porta hepatic chains but no noticeable growth. At the very least, if I have cancer it's not progressing. On another good note, the lump in my belly is just a hernia and I've been referred to a surgeon to remove it. No need to worry about who's going to take care of my girls since it should be an outpatient operation. Yay.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Must've been sleep walking last night when I fully ate dirt off the side of my deck. Don't remember the fall, just the still ringing "booooonnnng" from hitting my head on the propane cylinder and waking up on the ground with my pinky dislocated going WTF?!!! I need to get this deck finished 'cause my happy a$$ needs some walls, lol. Friggin pinky is still completely numb after I had to relocate it. Glad I'm already on massive doses of pain killers 'cause I gotta whole lots aches goin on. I wouldn't even have mentioned this but that was like some serious stunt man sh*t. I mean, I hit eeeeverythinnng on the way down. Then landed in a tucked roll onto my back from what I could tell was a forward fall.

Unconscious me got some mad "Fall Guy" skills, pwaaaaahaaahahaha!

Anyhoo, back to the farm...

That powdery mildew is all over the weeds and grass below my girls. Pretty sure this is the same stuff I used to get on my roses. I'll keep ripping the morning glories dow until I can get some more fungicide.
20180918 074924
20180918 075211
20180918 074956

Latest posts

Top Bottom