375x250
375x250 2
375x250 5
375x250 1
375x250 7
375x250 8

Farmer P

Farmer P

Damn that sucks. You might want to get some fire insurance. This seems to be happening every year now. I think I'd make a fire break around my property and keep the weeds and brush down. It's nice to look at nature unmolested, but I'd rather keep my house even if it's barren around it. A sprinkler on your roof would probably be a good idea too. Stay safe!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Damn that sucks. You might want to get some fire insurance. This seems to be happening every year now. I think I'd make a fire break around my property and keep the weeds and brush down. It's nice to look at nature unmolested, but I'd rather keep my house even if it's barren around it. A sprinkler on your roof would probably be a good idea too. Stay safe!

Fire insurance, sh*t, I can barely afford car insurance since they increased the rates due to the fires last year. My isurance is a 27' 5th wheel that I can latch up and have out of here in a half hour (less if necessary). I have two exit routes with a freeway as a natural fire break between them. The only way I can get bottlenecked in is if there are multiple fires blocking both routes or if it's right on top of me. Last year I wasn't prepared. That won't happen again.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Dude, I feel ya! Man you ok? Family safe?

Hang in there man.
Life throws curve balls but Man U are safe ( I hope) and that is the biggest thing.
My aunt lost her place as well in the fire. My dads on the way to LA to bring her down here to monterey

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Dude, I feel ya! Man you ok? Family safe?

Hang in there man.
Life throws curve balls but Man U are safe ( I hope) and that is the biggest thing.
My aunt lost her place as well in the fire. My dads on the way to LA to bring her down here to monterey

Yeah, I'm good, family too, thanks. A little PTSD moment from watching 150' flames from my front porch last year. I'm glad your aunt is safe. Where I live it's inevitable but I was surprised to read about Malibu. Those Santa Ana's are crazy in the hills.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 11/10/18 (tent)

That seed heating mat worked really well last night. Tucked the girls together onto it and their leaves continued all perky through the night. So, it WAS the cold and I'm pretty sure that it caused the nute lock. I had them cut waaay back when they started freakin out. I saw the same brittle leaf on my outdoor girls from the HB&B and they were fine, so I'm not worried. I'm more concerned about the efficacy of this colloidal silver I bought to cause herms. Sh*t, I don't know if I'm doing it right or what to expect if I am. Actually, it's more about not knowing when to expect results. Oddly I haven't been able to find much in a step-by-step or a grow log with good pictoral documentation. I don't have the right lenses yet to do it well myself. Man, I hope I don't lose this Nepal strain. I'll let it go long and seed hunt if I have to. Wish I would have tested the female pollen process with a strain I have more of. In my defense, I had no idea the Creamsicle was going to turn out so well. Only grew it as a favor for a friend (still have 4 more Chocolate Orange Creamsicle beans). I'm not throwing away any more males of strains I like (unless there's more than one and I need the room, but I'll use two to pollinate for diversity if I can).
20181110 063539
20181110 063548

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 11/10/18 #2

Idunnoes
20181110 132004
20181110 131224
20181110 131114

Lots of tiny colas.
20181110 131405
20181110 131253
20181110 131323
20181110 131339
20181110 131345
20181110 131301

Twisted and tied the branches into place after the storm destroyed 80% of her.
20181110 131436

Did a clean up prune of the nutrient burned leaves.
20181110 125647
20181110 125611

Huddled together on the seedling heat mat to try and keep the soil above 50F. The leaves shrugged immediately when I opened the tent to adjust their positioning and the cold air rolled in.
20181110 173608

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Just smoked a jay of mature dried&cured Banana Ice Cream #3 and I was surprised at how closely it resembled Royal Nepal Kush in every way. BIC#2 is similar, but BIC#1 is mild and tastes like bananas. This Chocolate Nepal x Banana Ice Cream has a good chance of working out very well to sustain the RNK profile and rosin production. No biggie if the Chocolate Nepal doesn't produce pollen now.

BIC#4, Not the branch I misted. I recently read this is common though. They still should be fem beans I recon.
20181111 132805

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 11/13/18 (tent)

20181113 071256
20181113 071404

I just found that Banana Ice Cream #5 has herm'd as well. I don't know, it's possible I oversprayed onto it with the colloidal but it could also be from other environmental factors like light leaks or cold temps. I guess the only way I'll find out is when I grow out the beans. If they're 99% fem then it was from the silver. Meh, I don't really care at this point, just happy to get an X out of the Chocolate Nepal from it.
20181113 073032

I'll try a different colloidal silver on the next batch.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Grow Log 11/13/18 (tent)

View attachment 840980 View attachment 840979
I just found that Banana Ice Cream #5 has herm'd as well. I don't know, it's possible I oversprayed onto it with the colloidal but it could also be from other environmental factors like light leaks or cold temps. I guess the only way I'll find out is when I grow out the beans. If they're 99% fem then it was from the silver. Meh, I don't really care at this point, just happy to get an X out of the Chocolate Nepal from it.View attachment 840981
I'll try a different colloidal silver on the next batch.
Save them beans!!!

F

FutureGrower

@Wishbone @stiffneck

I used to buy at dispensaries. My thinking was, "Where else am I going to find a selection of primo weed?" That was before I found delivery services that delivered to my door with lower prices. But that's just me and, all in all, our local dispensary prices aren't that bad and they all stock fire.

The prices Stiffneck talks about in his area are simply the result of supply vs demand. They don't need to, and in a way, can't afford to be cheaper. I learned that in the bullion business. When we lowered our prices too much we would get bought out of all but the least desirable gold and silver. If a bullion shop does that too often, instead of having a rep for being inexpensive, they'll get a rep for being out of stock or only carrying substandard products. They must resupply quickly. If the distributors see enough stores get requests for expedited resupply they raise their prices, and on up the supply chain. The supply chain will raise prices until they start losing business, then they'll stabilise.

Now look at the concentration of liquor stores in a metropolitan area then think about how many dispensaries it would take to effectively service the same area. The local ordinances heavily restrict the number of dispensaries creating the initial supply problem. They do this, not so much to avoid a public nuisance, but to make the few they allow so desirable that investors are willing to pay the high taxes and licensing fees.

You have your answer as to why prices have to be high. To stay in business dispensaries MUST keep their prices as high as the market will allow. I think it's less about greed and more about survival.

This seems like a plausible explanation fo ne ot maybe I'm just really high. I'm definitely really high though.

I just wish they took a true free market approach. If they didn't regulate the number of dispensaries I think cannabis prices would drop and more people would have access to it.

I have a friend with MS her husband works full time and she doesnt have any doctors to treat her. She flies several hundred miles to s.f. to see her doctors, and can barely move. They buy from dispensaries but dont grow but she limits herself because it's too expensive. We all know mj's ability to relieve pain and stress it works better than all her meds combined.

If she lived close enough I would just give her it but I moved pretty far.

Capitalism is great and all but I truly feel cannabis is one of the unique things that should be spread and shared but I agree with you too so its complicated!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I just wish they took a true free market approach. If they didn't regulate the number of dispensaries I think cannabis prices would drop and more people would have access to it.

I have a friend with MS her husband works full time and she doesnt have any doctors to treat her. She flies several hundred miles to s.f. to see her doctors, and can barely move. They buy from dispensaries but dont grow but she limits herself because it's too expensive. We all know mj's ability to relieve pain and stress it works better than all her meds combined.

If she lived close enough I would just give her it but I moved pretty far.

Capitalism is great and all but I truly feel cannabis is one of the unique things that should be spread and shared but I agree with you too so its complicated!

True capitalism is free market. A healthy free market is far more generous to social services than any government funded by taxes. In a true free market, owners of thriving businesses are far more likely to pursue philanthropic interests due to an over abundance of revenue. Direct charity loses 0% to the administration of unwieldy government programs and the greed of politicians.

I give away a good chunk of my harvest to the needy. I also give flowers to random strangers I encounter everywhere I go. Unlike social programs, I don't limit my generosity to the destitute. I'll give a nugg of chrons to a person driving a RR as quickly as I would to a homeless person pushing a shopping cart. Remember, generosity often begets generosity as kindness is infectious.

A smile is my favorite return on investment.

Last edited:
F

FutureGrower

True capitalism is free market. A healthy free market is far more generous to social services than any government funded by taxes. In a true free market, owners of thriving businesses are far more likely to pursue philanthropic interests due to an over abundance of revenue. Direct charity loses 0% to the administration of unwieldy government programs and the greed of politicians.

I give away a good chunk of my harvest to the needy. I also give flowers to random strangers I encounter everywhere I go. Unlike social programs, I don't limit my generosity to the destitute. I'll give a nugg of chrons to a person driving a RR as quickly as I would to a homeless person pushing a shopping cart. Remember, generosity often begets generosity as kindness is infectious.

A smile is my favorite return on investment.

Dude I couldn't agree more. This is a fantastic outlook. A lot of people look down on people who are doing worse, or even better then themselves. Hell I've done it many times throughout my life but I'm growing daily. The more I live free of my "interpersonal conflicts"the happier I am.

Thanks for sharing buddy we need more people like you around

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 11/15/18 (tent)

Here we see the Banana Ice Cream developing into two distinct phenos. Bean #4 (center)has seven fingers and fluffier flowers, while #5 (right) has nine fingers, is more sensitive to moist soil, and has tighter iternodal spacing.
20181115 132956
20181115 132929

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 11/17/18

Idunnoes (unidentified freebee when I ordered my beans from Logic. It's been fun waiting to see what she'd turn into.)
20181117 161509
20181117 161525
20181117 161447
20181117 161636
20181117 161552
20181117 161712

The tent, (left)Chocolate Nepal, (center)Banana Ice Cream (bean #4), (right)Banana Ice Cream (bean #5)
20181117 111645
20181117 111659

Later in the day. It's been pretty cold but I've been working on trying to maintain temps closer to the target 70-80F. Hard to see in the pic but the leaves are more perky than earlier in the morning when I took the first pics. I'm using a seedling heating mat under the two BIC and it's working fairly well. The Nepal is a Kush with a genetic predisposition to handle the cooler temps, while the Bananas are more Sativa and like it warm. Hopefully this cross to make them partially Kush will help them out with that.
20181117 162245

Wishbone

Wishbone

Grow Log 11/17/18

Idunnoes (unidentified freebee when I ordered my beans from Logic. It's been fun waiting to see what she'd turn into.)
View attachment 841687 View attachment 841693 View attachment 841699 View attachment 841682 View attachment 841688 View attachment 841700
The tent, (left)Chocolate Nepal, (center)Banana Ice Cream (bean #4), (right)Banana Ice Cream (bean #5)
View attachment 841702 View attachment 841701
Later in the day. It's been pretty cold but I've been working on trying to maintain temps closer to the target 70-80F. Hard to see in the pic but the leaves are more perky than earlier in the morning when I took the first pics. I'm using a seedling heating mat under the two BIC and it's working fairly well. The Nepal is a Kush with a genetic predisposition to handle the cooler temps, while the Bananas are more Sativa and like it warm. Hopefully this cross to make them partially Kush will help them out with that.
View attachment 841698

Lookin good. Based on their size at this point, do you wish you had vegged a bit longer?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Lookin good. Based on their size at this point, do you wish you had vegged a bit longer?

Thank you.

Good question. No, not this set of plants. Keeping them small was intentional. I wanted to flip ASAP because this tent is outside, and even though I live in Cali, in my particular location it gets very cold, very fast. These girls are only being grown for breeding so getting them big wasn't important considering the large number of seeds even a small plant can produce. I'm also not feeding them what I would if I were looking to produce smokable bud nor am I concerned about how many popcorns are at the bottom. Like I said in an earlier post, this is a perfect grow to do with the training wheels still on. This is my first grow till harvest under artificial light and I've learned sooo much. The next grow will be for seed as well. It's good that they're small because I need to get two more done before the next outdoor season starts. Then I can have clones ready from all of my 'X's to use. So, one more for breeding, then one more for next season's clones. I hope I have enough time.

I'm working something out with one of my childhood friends for him to rebuild my private co-op. The last guy (supposed best friend) ripped me off for around $3k and left me broke for this last outdoor grow. If this new deal works out it'll fund my grow room and the next outdoor garden. (...and my trailer remodel, including, but not limited to, a new media/meditation/cloning room. Since my bedroom is only about 4' tall I figured it'd be better suited for a theatre/cloning room. Where my living room currently is I'll be putting in a new bed and getting a bistro table & chairs w/wine rack next to my big window that will overlook a small outdoor non-pot related garden. I'm a foodie so dining ambience is important to me.)

The grow I do after the next one will be for clones and smoke. Should have my nutes and whatnot dialed by then for increased sise and production. That grow might still end up in the new grow room if it's finished in time. I plan on mainlining that one which lines up with taking clones.

Top Bottom