Keepers: What Are They Made Of.

• Thread starter Paul Simon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Paul Simon

Paul Simon

Alright, I want to clear out another thread and start a conversation on what peoples keepers are made of. What traits individuals prefer for growing or consuming.

One trait that we seek for keepers and have found but exceptionally rarely is the unlimited high. Plants that let you smoke to get as high as you want before passing out, no ceiling.

One thing we pay virtually no consideration to at this time is yield. If a plant produces SUPERIOR effects to it's sibbling and similar plants in the stable, it's dry production weight will not be taken into consideration.

@Rootbound let us make peace. Sorry for being a dick and calling you names. I need to better myself and not act so childish. @Natural will you join us please? @jumpincactus come on in!

Love you guys, my bad.

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

I might as well take this opportunity to announce HLT's Beat It On Down the Line program.

We plan to line work most, if not all of our polyhybrids. In order to show our dedication to both our customers as well as the cannais spirit, we present BIODL: keep your original Happy Little Trees packaging and send it in to us at a later date with $5 shipping and we will send you the current filial generation of that cross. If for some reason a line has been discontinued options will be made available.

We are doing this because as seed hoarding pheno hunters ourselves, we understand the serious investment made in genetics. We especially recognize the gamble in buying high priced F1s and want to offer some assurance your money has been well spent.

We want you to find keepers.

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
To me a keeper can be anything in my stable I keep plants that have different and unique flavors and highs . I have a few cuts that i consider rounded keepers. Ie big yield easy to grow good flavor easy to trim and devastating high. I also have some real unique cuts like my t2 small yield of super frosty nugs that have blood red calyx and purple and pink trics to me a keeper is whatever you like

guymandude

guymandude

Over the past 10 years, I have found that my "keepers" tend to not be overbred, overhybridized strains. I prefer simplicity. That's just me, I'm certainly not trying to insult anyone. LA Confidential (before DNA lost their Mother plants for this strain) was amazing. Happy, ridiculously stoned yet I could go to the bar on it and dance on the table tops. Pretty awesome for pure indica that is a landrace Afghan plant crossed with an afghan plant grown in LA by some Hippy for 20 years. I can take 3 hits off a joint and my back won't hurt for 3 days and I'll wake up the next day happy, in a great mood.
Brothers Grimm C99 was amazing like that - made me want to get naked and run down the middle of the street laughing. Now I'm talking about the Holy Grail cut, not other company's C99. Recently ran some old school William's Wonder that was amazing as well.

I just prefer simpler strains, that haven't traveled too far from their lineage. Strawberry Diesel, Bubblelicious, Blue Mystic, Northern Lights, I think the Strawberry diesel is one of the most hybridized strains I run. I think.

Some other strains I've tried lately, had no weird to the buzz at all. And the buzz only lasted an hour. pretty shameful for a grower to put out bud like that

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Keeper must be full package. Most important to me is the effect. If it doesn't crack the bell then what's the point?
Yes great aromatics, yes great flavor, yes great bag appeal- but when I hear kids these days say "I smoke for flavor" I want to smack them and hand them a pack of hookah tobacco while they walk away from me.

That said- what makes a high great is purely subjective. I think the only strain everyone loves is NL5, the rest have many lovers and detractors.

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
Over the past 10 years, I have found that my "keepers" tend to not be overbred, overhybridized strains. I prefer simplicity. That's just me, I'm certainly not trying to insult anyone. LA Confidential (before DNA lost their Mother plants for this strain) was amazing. Happy, ridiculously stoned yet I could go to the bar on it and dance on the table tops. Pretty awesome for pure indica that is a landrace Afghan plant crossed with an afghan plant grown in LA by some Hippy for 20 years. I can take 3 hits off a joint and my back won't hurt for 3 days and I'll wake up the next day happy, in a great mood.
Brothers Grimm C99 was amazing like that - made me want to get naked and run down the middle of the street laughing. Now I'm talking about the Holy Grail cut, not other company's C99. Recently ran some old school William's Wonder that was amazing as well.

I just prefer simpler strains, that haven't traveled too far from their lineage. Strawberry Diesel, Bubblelicious, Blue Mystic, Northern Lights, I think the Strawberry diesel is one of the most hybridized strains I run. I think.

Some other strains I've tried lately, had no weird to the buzz at all. And the buzz only lasted an hour. pretty shameful for a grower to put out bud like that
You and i have the same taste mate. I just got a pack of c99 and dropped the whole pack acording to Mr sly they have the same mom and dad cuts and I hope to find my old evil pheno. I have a killer cut of strawberry diesel and love me a pure indica. Now if I could find my old blackberry kush is be set

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

You and i have the same taste mate. I just got a pack of c99 and dropped the whole pack acording to Mr sly they have the same mom and dad cuts and I hope to find my old evil pheno. I have a killer cut of strawberry diesel and love me a pure indica. Now if I could find my old blackberry kush is be set

The BBK is all over the PNW still from what I see on here. Lots of folks out there running it. That is one of my all time favorites for a nice mellow out smoke. The Bruce Banner #5 (Strawberry Diesel pheno) is an amazing plant, from what I am told she is a spitting image of a true keeper Strawberry Diesel. The #5 has a crazy high that lots of people can't hang with. May have to snag some of those C99 beans for real the way you're all talking.

Keeper must be full package. Most important to me is the effect. If it doesn't crack the bell then what's the point?
Yes great aromatics, yes great flavor, yes great bag appeal- but when I hear kids these days say "I smoke for flavor" I want to smack them and hand them a pack of hookah tobacco while they walk away from me.

That said- what makes a high great is purely subjective. I think the only strain everyone loves is NL5, the rest have many lovers and detractors.

Bag appeal is something I should care about, but just can't seemed to get myself too. I know that in the IG age of best bud, it matters to other people. I just have never had a good tasting Insagram post... kekekek

Have been in a position where I haven't been out smoke for over a decade, I can say there is SOMETHING to smoking soley for flavour, in so much that if your cannabinoid levels are at saturation, you start smoknig mostly for flavour. I have been known to smoke whole ounces in a single day in the past(a waste I know now) just to keep that flavour fresh in my mouth. This is specifically why I look for cuts that seem to have no cap on how high you can get. The real Sour D, our Starkiller cut (Natalie Portman Cut when you see it out there some day.), Chocolate Thai from 2003, Kali Mist from way back are the only examples I have ever personally run across of this no ceiling trait.

I will say that I just realized that I have very different standards for outdoor keeper cuts than I do indoor. The Pinetar Kush is by far the best outdoor plant I have ever personally ran, insane resistants to issues in moist/high RH% climates, huge yielder of unforgettable tasting, super stoney smoke. Hate running it inside.

I sort of see cultivars as characters in an RPG. You can only get some many points in any one trait, elites having the most total points, so sacrafices are always made in one area so that another may shine.

Much to my chagrin, I think that the legit GG#4 hits all the marks. I had never had decent glue to smoke. One of the crew REALLY wanted to run it at least once and I eventually caved. Seeing that plant really loved on and in it's full glory just straight mind fuct me.

The ATF is another that I will NEVER let go of again. Lawdy what a lady she is.

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
The BBK is all over the PNW still from what I see on here. Lots of folks out there running it. That is one of my all time favorites for a nice mellow out smoke. The Bruce Banner #5 (Strawberry Diesel pheno) is an amazing plant, from what I am told she is a spitting image of a true keeper Strawberry Diesel. The #5 has a crazy high that lots of people can't hang with. May have to snag some of those C99 beans for real the way you're all talking.

Bag appeal is something I should care about, but just can't seemed to get myself too. I know that in the IG age of best bud, it matters to other people. I just have never had a good tasting Insagram post... kekekek

Have been in a position where I haven't been out smoke for over a decade, I can say there is SOMETHING to smoking soley for flavour, in so much that if your cannabinoid levels are at saturation, you start smoknig mostly for flavour. I have been known to smoke whole ounces in a single day in the past(a waste I know now) just to keep that flavour fresh in my mouth. This is specifically why I look for cuts that seem to have no cap on how high you can get. The real Sour D, our Starkiller cut (Natalie Portman Cut when you see it out there some day.), Chocolate Thai from 2003, Kali Mist from way back are the only examples I have ever personally run across of this no ceiling trait.

I will say that I just realized that I have very different standards for outdoor keeper cuts than I do indoor. The Pinetar Kush is by far the best outdoor plant I have ever personally ran, insane resistants to issues in moist/high RH% climates, huge yielder of unforgettable tasting, super stoney smoke. Hate running it inside.

I sort of see cultivars as characters in an RPG. You can only get some many points in any one trait, elites having the most total points, so sacrafices are always made in one area so that another may shine.

Much to my chagrin, I think that the legit GG#4 hits all the marks. I had never had decent glue to smoke. One of the crew REALLY wanted to run it at least once and I eventually caved. Seeing that plant really loved on and in it's full glory just straight mind fuct me.

The ATF is another that I will NEVER let go of again. Lawdy what a lady she is.
I wasn't a huge fan of the bruce5 I did however run the hell out of the #3 for a very long time my strawberry diesel cut came from Philly back in 01 its a huge yeilder done in 10 weeks super frosty dense candy nugs with a vanilla cream taste my friends call it strawberry n cream diesel. I see people post the old blackberry I just haven't seen it in Colorado

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

It's in these moments that I stop smoking for a few months rather than waste cannabis.

I can understand that for sure. I can only stop for about 24 hours before my symptoms flair up and it's cannabis or pharmies. I can also say that I was limited by genetics at that time. It's been many many years since I was in a position like that.

guymandude

guymandude

i agree and it's a beautiful thang when your bud gets you baked out of your gourd and still tastes like berries dipped in fresh squeezed lime juice, or nice and earthy with a sharp wild strawberry finish all the while you're being sucked into the couch while floating ten feet above your body, or has such a beautiful oily skunk funk that you still taste it on your tongue an hour after you smoked it and it smacked you upside the head. You can have potency and flavor.

M

MamaBear

to me a keeper is whatever you like

No Ceiling is great but I don't come across it often. Effect is most important. Don't care about bag appeal (I grind it up anyway). Don't care about yield (if it's that good, I just grow more of them). Difficulty in growing doesn't matter much either, once you get dialed in and figure out what SHE wants, no problem.
Finding male keepers is WAY more difficult.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
For me its just unique smell and taste. I like it to be all over the place. A lot of people dont like E32 but Im still running it hard just cause i can't get enough of that flav! I'm with yall though I'm hunting for all those cuts I went through 10 years ago. Not to concerned with the new stuff. for me Flav and smell is #1. Strength doesnt really matter to me when you can can just grab some dabs.

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
I'm with @cemchris I'm huge on taste and smell, as well... Then potency then size.

mancdank

mancdank

Keepers for me personally is something that can put u flat on your ass and tastes as good as it smells seems to be so hard to find decent weed that tastes. most smell puka but when u put a flame to it its like card board. now saying this though that's for smoking for growing I need something that's guna produce the weight as well as the grade and nothing that needs a massive veg to achieve it tbh these American lines were working with so far are smashing it out of the park for us to hats off to u guys over there :)

Neter Sentra

Neter Sentra

Ha! I grow the old train wreck as well I use to have the most amazing killer queen but she is looooong gone. Haven't really found anything like it since. I'm not a huge fan of the og's didn't care for the Bruce banner. But I grow a lot of the e32 and an older amnesia haze and Williams wonder got a powerhouse afghani landrace but They just seem to excel in flavor taste. I'm not worried about potency all that much I have quart jars full of dry sift I sprinkle on if need be.

mancdank

mancdank

Ha! I grow the old train wreck as well I use to have the most amazing killer queen but she is looooong gone. Haven't really found anything like it since. I'm not a huge fan of the og's didn't care for the Bruce banner. But I grow a lot of the e32 and an older amnesia haze and Williams wonder got a powerhouse afghani landrace but They just seem to excel in flavor taste. I'm not worried about potency all that much I have quart jars full of dry sift I sprinkle on if need be.
I've grown train wreck a few times big yielders of not too shabby grade weed but defo not in my top

symbiote420

symbiote420

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, which makes the word "keeper" so vague, yours might not be his etc etc. I'm a rare toker, I enjoy indy, saty, and hybrids alike so I get a good feel for almost every strain I smoke where some of my buddies can't smoke any sativa doms because they fuck with their mentals and the opposite occurs for others that say indicas are just too heavy for them.... almost every grower has what they feel is a keeper Idc how fire something is to one person there's always gonna be someone that won't care for it and toss it from their garden. GSC, Blue Dream, and GG4 are highly circulated keepers to many growers but I let them all go, good strains but not keepers to me.

I started smoking long before all this fruity shit hit the streets, nobody wants to believe me when I tell them most that fruity shit is GMO, can't even find an affie or skunk strain w/o a ton of fruity phenos in them now. We're led to believe they were selected from genes inside it's code but that's like black parents having white babies lol just not possible unless a new gene is introduced.

Top Bottom