keeping mother plants

• Thread starter gudkarma
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gudkarma

i have known female plants i am keeping as mothers.

while i am in week 5 (maybe 6) of veg, i transplanted these ladies from large solo cups to 1 gallon containers a short time ago.

in the garden tonight, and shooting for maximum growth so i can start taking cuts, i noticed the mothers in 1 gal containers needed transplanting again... & i didn't think it would be so soon.

no problem... i am on the ball.

my question : what is an ideal pot size for a mother plant?

5 gallon buckets with a beefy plant inside may be a tad to tall for my space.

3 to 3.5 gallon?

rather than stepping up in incriments, i would prefer to transplant one more time... best size pot for a 6' space... taking away some height for the 250w MH light & considering the top (leading) edge of a larger (taller) container & i have about 4' to 4.5' to play with.

also, while the mother lives in her new (larger) container is it prudent to trim back the roots on a regular basis?

looking for container & mother plant maintenance tips.

thanks

waayne

waayne

If you want short wide bushy mom's an you have height
issue's try to find really wide container's, you can go shallower an really wide to get a wider bushier plant profile.

G

gudkarma

thanks for the quick response...

i feel a great sense of urgency because i don't want to curtail growth in any way.

my op is in three large cabinets... 6' x 3' x 6'

becaue i am a cloning fool, my method is SOG.

i undestand what you're saying ...but wide isn't gonna cut it... i seek uniformity.

i like those black, semi thick, plastic, garden store style planters because i can arrange & maximize space easily.

best size?

maintenance tips please.

norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
i have 28 moms....... running them in #3 smart pots had em for over a year....... good luck

norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
no need to do all that those pots do that for you

G

gudkarma

right. smarts pot & air pots.
they air prune.

not using them.
but...

after some light research, i am thinking that with more traditional planters and long term mother keeping one will need to do an occasional root prune.

once i move up to 3 to 3.5 gallon i can't go any bigger so i am trying to get the game plan down tight.

thanks.

norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
im telling you get smartpots they are everything they claim to be if your worried about it go up to the #5 pot it is nearly impossible to have you plants get root bound in these pots and these pots are squatty they are wider than tall

P

Prest1

I read an intresting article the other day (possibly here or other such forum). Type Bonsai Moms/Mums into Google and it should come up. Havent done it yet, but it definatley looks less hassle than my previous way.

P

PotentEnigma

I read an intresting article the other day (possibly here or other such forum). Type Bonsai Moms/Mums into Google and it should come up. Havent done it yet, but it definatley looks less hassle than my previous way.
Whoever you are 7 year ago person... Thank you. Lol.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

I second the bonsai mums. Look up "OT1 bonsai" and you'll find what you're looking for. You can keep 12 mums under a 4' two lamp flourescent shoplight. Each mum will put out about 25-50 cuttings a month. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom