Killing Mites With Heat?

• Thread starter getgoodgenes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

getgoodgenes

So was reading up on forums about getting rid of mites. Someone posted saying they heated the greenhouse to 130f for 30 mins. Claimed it killed practically every mite and egg. So did some research and came to find out that at 130f most species of mites and their eggs can not survive. Pretty sure it wouldn't stress plants too much for such a short period with co2. I honestly don't think it would work that fast if it would at all. But I've heard of similar methods to get rid of bed bugs. Does anyone have any opinions on the topic?

P

PharmHand

So was reading up on forums about getting rid of mites. Someone posted saying they heated the greenhouse to 130f for 30 mins. Claimed it killed practically every mite and egg. So did some research and came to find out that at 130f most species of mites and their eggs can not survive. Pretty sure it wouldn't stress plants too much for such a short period with co2. I honestly don't think it would work that fast if it would at all. But I've heard of similar methods to get rid of bed bugs. Does anyone have any opinions on the topic?
I had my gavita timer malfunction once and it got to 130f. Let me tell ya, the plants were not ok haha

SeedyGirl

SeedyGirl

Seal the room if it’s not. And Turn up the co2 if you can do it safely. Nothing alive should be in the room other then plants. No. I would not put it at 130 w my plants in there.

G

getgoodgenes

I too have had similar issues with timers but never got that hot. I'm not about to try this just thought if it actually works that would be a dope quick fix for mites if you were too far along to spray.

Top Bottom