King Led Thoughts?

• Thread starter Twisted13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Twisted13

Twisted13

Still need a better picture, but they're looking a lot like Cree. Can you focus in on a close-up of a single COB?

I didn't realise they were two lights. I thought it was two pics of the same fixture. Now knowing it's x8, I revise my estimate as a minimum of $400 if those are 50w ea, minimum $800 If 100w (and Cree lights).

If those are 100w CXB3590, at only 8" above the canopy, at 60-70%, they will give you a 4x10 footprint, and grow 8 plants till harvest. More headroom, at 100% power you could probably add another row of 4 between for a total of 12 plants. IMO, it's possible to grow even more but the lights might need to be put in a bigger frame and 90deg lenses removed for better canopy coverage.
Here is a picture of what they look like hopefully this helps. They are housed in two Aluminum frames cut with a nail file the edges are so rough. Ouch. No but really aside from the sharp edge they are super bright and not heavy at all. I took a picture of them in my living room with all the lights turned off save the LEDs. Let me know what you think. This is going in a 4x2. Btw. What do you think the specs of these are. I think they are 3500k

405A5747 A10F 4B52 B4FB 81C167C9EAAB
2078A441 537E 4690 BDEF 434B213B7E91
743435AD F8DE 4DDF 9061 14B3F346E6D8
650634E2 C6C6 44CD 9A29 8E8D6B339CD2
CE5DE410 D43B 4690 AB18 DCF612890925
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Here is a picture of what they look like hopefully this helps. They are housed in two Aluminum frames cut with a nail file the edges are so rough. Ouch. No but really aside from the sharp edge they are super bright and not heavy at all. I took a picture of them in my living room with all the lights turned off save the LEDs. Let me know what you think. This is going in a 4x2. Btw. What do you think the specs of these are. I think they are 3500k

Here's a pic down the barrel of a 3590. (Looks like the manufacturer soldered this one for some reason instead of using a modular holder. Don't know why.)
Screenshot 20190104 221317

CXB3590 in a modular holder.
Screenshot 20190104 230254

Cree CXB3590
RBVaJFm2AYmAGeUIAAHjkdKH TM836 1

Here are Bridgelux, they make the Vero
DECOR GRP 570X383

I was hoping the holder would have gaps like in the top pic, but no such luck. Looks like you're not going to be able to tell without opening them up. When I started there were more distinct differences. Not anymore.

Two things... You need to know what those are before using (type and color), and if those are 100w then I think that fixture is too big for a 4x2. I wouldn't run more than three in that sise tent. You may need to build another frame or cut one of those down if youre going to use on only three plants.

I've compared your pics to several dozen others and can't see anything that can distinguish them. Sorry I couldn't do it without you disassembling but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do. It is key that you identify them.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

My best guess is those are going to be some decent quality fixtures when idenified.

...I looked again at your close-up and think I see the metal Cree modular holder along the outside edge (that's the type of hint I was looking for)...

20190104 232435

Twisted13

Twisted13

My best guess is those are going to be some decent quality fixtures when idenified.

...I looked again at your close-up and think I see the metal Cree modular holder along the outside edge (that's the type of hint I was looking for)...

View attachment 849915
Should I open them up to get a better idea? I’ve gotten everything I need at this point beside some ducting and seeds/soil. I’d like to get everything going by Sunday the latest.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Should I open them up to get a better idea? I’ve gotten everything I need at this point beside some ducting and seeds/soil. I’d like to get everything going by Sunday the latest.

Absolutely. You need to know what they are to use them right. Post up pics here or PM me if you have any trouble with identifying. Need to see what kind of chips those are and the wattage they're capable of.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Once we know what were dealing with we can look at the footprint based on headroom and do the PAR(DLI) calculations. You won't have to guess where to set your lights or how many plants they can grow. You'll know.

Twisted13

Twisted13

Once we know what were dealing with we can look at the footprint based on headroom and do the PAR(DLI) calculations. You won't have to guess where to set your lights or how many plants they can grow. You'll know.

Alright I contacted the seller and this is what he told me the bulbs are.

“The bulbs are 100w cob 3590 3500k“

They are nice and bright but run hot on full blast and are for sure too much power for a 2x4. However, they do have a dimmer and when it’s plugged in and turned all the way up it is perfect. Temps stay around 75F. The only downside to this is that I’m not sure what the PAR readings is and at what height they need to be at when. One thing I think we can all agree on is that they should be called EGGs not COBs lol. Thoughts?

0BD1BAB7 9A18 48D5 80F7 8778BF696BE1
46C3D728 6607 454D ABB4 A481A02B8871
034EC822 5733 4611 BBBA C33513FE7A67
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Alright I contacted the seller and this is what he told me the bulbs are.

“The bulbs are 100w cob 3590 3500k“

They are nice and bright but run hot on full blast and are for sure too much power for a 2x4. However, they do have a dimmer and when it’s plugged in and turned all the way up it is perfect. Temps stay around 75F. The only downside to this is that I’m not sure what the PAR readings is and at what height they need to be at when. One thing I think we can all agree on is that they should be called EGGs not COBs lol. Thoughts?

Yeah dude, I can definitely help you with that. Same exact COBs I use. I'm a little burnt out from a long day and my eyes are blurring from looking at a cellphone screen, but I'll write you up a little guide as soon I've let my mind and eyes rest a bit.

Those lights can grow all the way through from seed to harvest as long as you have a dimmer. If you don't have a dimmer on it then they won't work for seedlings and they will need a lot of clearance. They are very powerful lights. If you don't have a dimmer I suggest you connect one if your driver has plugs for it.

If you want you can use a different much lower wattage T5 or LED for seedlings.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Oh, I see now you said they have a dimmer. Good, good, good. You'll be running them at somewhere between 50-70% depending on clearance so your heat will be reduced greatly.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm going to smoke a fat bong load of kief, turn on Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban, break out the gummy bears, and chill for a few hours. Then I'll get to work on figuring your clearance and settings.

Thanks for your patience.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Okay, so here's the Panda Grow specs on a 200w (100w x2) CXB3590 fixture (If they had an inline x4 I'd use that but since they don't we can figure it out from this). It will be the exact same as yours but with a larger footprint...
Screenshot 20190112 215650
Screenshot 20190112 215711
UTB8CV0XXCbIXKJkSaefq6yasXXaC
HTB1hugzQVXXXXcCXFXXq6xXFXXXb
HTB15uBQSpXXXXaTaFXXq6xXFXXX5

We'll start with this. These diagrams give us all the information we need to figure out you're setup. I will get the links for the calculations and post them up for you tomorrow. It's late tonight and I was never really able to recover from today. I helped push my cousins big ol heavy Camaro around and that is not good on my replaced hips and nerve damage. A lot of pain is breaking my concentration. I can write and post up pics like this but I need focus to make sure the math us right. When we're done you will know how to calculate PAR(PDI) and you won't be guessing about how to set your lights up, you will know they are right.

By the way, your fixture's are worth $800-$2000 (Larger 480w drivers are much more expensive than the smaller ones. If your fixture's use them instead of 2x 240w each the price goes up a lot. It's why the huge variance in my estimate of their value.) You got a killer deal. I'm envious, hehe.

*note* Ignore their recommendations for clearance. We will adjust your output to compensate for lower clearances. Closer to the plants means better light penetration and all the benefits it gives.

Last edited:
Twisted13

Twisted13

Okay, so here's the Panda Grow specs on a 200w (100w x2) CXB3590 fixture (If they had an inline x4 I'd use that but since they don't we can figure it out from this). It will be the exact same as yours but with a larger footprint...
View attachment 851248 View attachment 851247 View attachment 851246 View attachment 851245 View attachment 851244

We'll start with this. These diagrams give us all the information we need to figure out you're setup. I will get the links for the calculations and post them up for you tomorrow. It's late tonight and I was never really able to recover from today. I helped push my cousins big ol heavy Camaro around and that is not good on my replaced hips and nerve damage. A lot of pain is breaking my concentration. I can write and post up pics like this but I need focus to make sure the math us right. When we're done you will know how to calculate PAR(PDI) and you won't be guessing about how to set your lights up, you will know they are right.

By the way, your fixture's are worth $800-$2000 (Larger 480w drivers are much more expensive than the smaller ones. If your fixture's use them instead of 2x 240w each the price goes up a lot. It's why the huge variance in my estimate of their value.) You got a killer deal. I'm envious, hehe.

*note* Ignore their recommendations for clearance. We will adjust your output to compensate for lower clearances. Closer to the plants means better light penetration and all the benefits it gives.

Ummm FREAKING THANKS BRO!!!! I just smoked and I’m with the family right now. I’ll read and respond soon but I wanted to get that off my chest! THANKS again :) love this forum.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Ummm FREAKING THANKS BRO!!!! I just smoked and I’m with the family right now. I’ll read and respond soon but I wanted to get that off my chest! THANKS again :) love this forum.

Im sorry for the delay. I got really sick yesterday. It's my illness, I have good days and sometimes really bad.

Let's see, where was I at, calculation of the PAR footprint to PAR(DLI).

First, I don't know if I gave you the link on what PAR is so you can learn to do the calculations yourself. If course I'm still going to help...

I used this information as a stepping stone to figuring out these computations on my own.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...-for-humans-about-par-ppf-ppfd-and-dli.84822/

...and here are recommended DLI amounts for your girls in different stages. This will be confusing unless you read Jumpincactus' PAR article first...

Screenshot 20190113 061427

I need to find the link that gave me the calculation from umoles to PAR(DLI). I personally need it to do your calculation. I'll be back with that shortly.

Don't worry, I feel okay today now that I've slept for a day. Thanks for your patience and sorry for disappearing on you.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Okay, here's the equation...

Multiply the PPFD (μmol/m2/second) value by 60 to get μmol/m2/minute. Multiply that by 60 again to get μmol/m2/hour. Then divide by 1,000,000 to convert from μmol to mol, giving you the output of your lights in mols/m2/hour.

That is your DLI(daily light increments) per hour. Multiply by number of hours for your total DLI.

I reduced my light levels by the percentage it took too bring my DLI down to the right amount for the girls.

Here's a link to the calculation I used...

http://farmertyler.com/blog/supplementallight

However you can find more short and to the point articles with the PAR/umoles to DLI calculation if just Google it.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm giving you all this info just in case I get sick again. I don't want to leave you hanging.

I need to think about your light for a little while here and figure out how to reign it's output in for a smaller area than it would normally be used for. Tricky, tricky. I'll figure it out though. I'm pretty sure you've given me everything I need.

I'm also helping another person with a QB light so things are getting a little mixed in my head. Hahaha

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The thing is, each of your lights can grow a 5'4"x2' at 60-70% output, easily. So I'm thinking you'll probably be looking at dimming them to 50-55%. Hahaha, talk about overkill. But it's better to have too much and dim down, than to little with no way to increase.

This may actually require CO2 generators for optimal use in a smaller space.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

My suggestion for future use, either get a bigger tent and utilise both lights or buy a mix of 240w and/or 360w drivers and reconfigure your lights into several more usable sets for multiple tents. I mean, you have enough lights to run 3x 4x2 tents with 1 veg and 2 flowering, if you have 1x 240w driver and 2x 360w drivers. I'm kind of a packrat when it comes to electronics so I'd save the 480w drivers just in case, but you can sell them to help fund separate builds.

Dude, I'm still drooling over your lights. I'd be using them for a full on perpetual grow.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm having trouble fitting tge one x4 fixture into a 4x2 tent. I'll walk you through what im doing to try and figure this out.

Normally, a x3 100w has a 7.5ft sq footprint at 8". That's your 4x2 at 8"-10". The Mylar lining of your tent is 99% reflective. Your center x2 lights have a footprint of 6ft sq. Your outer x1 lights have a footprint of 1.5ft sq ea but nearly half that will be reflected back giving you almost twice the light at the ends than the center. This won't work well. You're going to starve your middle plant or cook the outer 2. (This is if your fixture's spacing is equal to the spacing on the CF Grow fixture and running at a x3 light clearance.) However, you may have enough clearance to lift the light and even out the output more. Not sure yet, need more info from you.

I need the exact measurements of your COB spacing on the fixture to figure out if it's possible to use in it's current configuration for this tent. (From the edge of one COB lens to the next will be suitable for what I need. If they're evenly spaced then I only need a single measurement between two of them.)

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

...You're very welcome. I love doing this stuff and enjoy helping other growers. This has been fun (Aside from me getting sick, but has nothing to do with this, except it sometimes happens when I push myself too hard). I have a rare genetic autoimmune disease called RSDS or CRPS (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome) along with other things.

Last edited:
Twisted13

Twisted13

I'm having trouble fitting tge one x4 fixture into a 4x2 tent. I'll walk you through what im doing to try and figure this out.

Normally, a x3 100w has a 7.5ft sq footprint at 8". That's your 4x2 at 8"-10". The Mylar lining of your tent is 99% reflective. Your center x2 lights have a footprint of 6ft sq. Your outer x1 lights have a footprint of 1.5ft sq ea but nearly half that will be reflected back giving you almost twice the light at the ends than the center. This won't work well. You're going to starve your middle plant or cook the outer 2. (This is if your fixture's spacing is equal to the spacing on the CF Grow fixture and running at a x3 light clearance.) However, you may have enough clearance to lift the light and even out the output more. Not sure yet, need more info from you.

I need the exact measurements of your COB spacing on the fixture to figure out if it's possible to use in it's current configuration for this tent. (From the edge of one COB lens to the next will be suitable for what I need. If they're evenly spaced then I only need a single measurement between two of them.)

Ok so this I took a few measurements for you I hope this helps. Kinda hard to do in the space available but wifey helped. As a side note she’s taken up tannin inside the tent because the light is so bright haha. However my hopes were to run them dimmed down and try to keep the canopy trained so they don’t stretch too much. Thoughts after seeing pics. Let me know if you need a different one.

2C352139 CDF1 479E 852A 8B5A937A14D2
D942474B B0E2 4ADB A491 3E99071EDEA9
F3C78861 B81D 435D 8680 9D5D698B5BE0
4E8F6CBE D612 4E19 A7A1 ADEA9FB23124
A7BA9988 06CC 407A AFA8 8166B366FDBF
4F80BC5B D3BE 401C A9E3 183628391790
Top Bottom