Language Police In The Industry

• Thread starter jblumpkin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jblumpkin

Hello my fellow farmers, lately I've been noticing a disturbing trend in the industry which is the policing of language.

Just wait - Soon you wont be able to say anything anymore and we'll be running around in circles trying to pronounce Latin to each other.

First it was you can't say "marijuana", it must be "cannabis". Then it was you can't say "sativa/indica" anymore has to be narrow-leaf broad-leaf blah blah blah nor can you say the word "strain" it has to be "cultivar" or "chemovar" whatever you probably know the semantics better than me.

I get that once people start wearing the lab coats in the grow room their ego flies thru the roof but come on, seriously? If you want to call it than then go ahead and call it that. If people find it helpful it can gain traction and be adopted naturally. Enough of these PSA posts on social media of what words you have to change this week. It's like people are just trying to show how much smarter they are then everyone else.

It's funny how the word "strain" has been used in to describe plant varieties such as "strain of wheat" much longer than chemovar. Were all of our idols and key proponents of the industry "wrong" for saying marijuana just a few years ago? No! This is all just a trend of the times, much like other social efforts to control speech.

So I'll be bucking the trend saying "marijuana", "strain", "sativa" and "indica" as much as possible. Why? Because whatever word is "right" today likely won't be "right" in a few more decades so CALL IT WHATEVER YOU WANT JUST PLEASE DON'T SHOVE IT DOWN OUR THROATS AND MAYBE WE'LL USE IT. End rant.

Ina

Ina

I would also do just the opposite to what "smart asses" say:)Really smart people don't act that way-pretend to be the smartest,this is what stupid people usually do:)

J

jblumpkin

I would also do just the opposite to what "smart asses" say:)Really smart people don't act that way-pretend to be the smartest,this is what stupid people usually do:)

Exactly, I don't see any doctors telling women to start saying "Dysmenorrhea" instead of menstrual cramps because that's the "right" way to say it.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

You sound really sensitive. Do you find any irony in the fact that you're using language to police people for the things they're saying?

Language is constantly evolving. You can either accept it or you can turn into a cratchety old man yelling at the kids to get off your lawn. Your call.

J

jblumpkin

You sound really sensitive. Do you find any irony in the fact that you're using language to police people for the things they're saying?

Language is constantly evolving. You can either accept it or you can turn into a cratchety old man yelling at the kids to get off your lawn. Your call.

I'm not policing anything I'm ranting and of course I'm grumpy about it. Language evolves yeah look at Shakespeare he made his own words and now we use them. A perfectly fine thing to do that's all I'm saying don't force language on others speak however you like.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

I'm not policing anything I'm ranting and of course I'm grumpy about it. Language evolves yeah look at Shakespeare he made his own words and now we use them. A perfectly fine thing to do that's all I'm saying don't force language on others speak however you like.

I have an idea, maybe you could build yourself a safe space where you won't be exposed to words and ideas that upset you. Maybe an igloo, or a little hut.

Literally nobody is forcing you to use any words, stop being such a fucking whiner.

J

jblumpkin

I have an idea, maybe you could build yourself a safe space where you won't be exposed to words and ideas that upset you. Maybe an igloo, or a little hut.

Literally nobody is forcing you to use any words, stop being such a fucking whiner.

Maybe if you actually read what I wrote you would understand that it's not the words that upset me it's the enforcement behind it, for example:
Upload 2019 1 15 19 40 33

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

Maybe if you actually read what I wrote you would understand that it's not the words that upset me it's the enforcement behind it, for example:
View attachment 851616

Oh shit, I didn't realize they were ARRESTING people who used the wrong words..

Oh wait, they aren't. Nobody is making you use any words. Nobody is 'enforcing' anything. Stop being such a baby.

Let's do our best to get it right going forward

^The HORROR!

J

jblumpkin

Oh shit, I didn't realize they were ARRESTING people who used the wrong words..

Oh wait, they aren't. Nobody is making you use any words. Nobody is 'enforcing' anything. Stop being such a baby.

^The HORROR!

I don't know how you can read that tweet and not feel like "who died and made them king?", saying what's "correct" and "incorrect" to say is just sickening to me and scary in a social sense. I guess you don't feel that tho whatever you don't gotta be so rude about it BRO.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

I don't know how you can read that tweet and not feel like "who died and made them king?", saying what's "correct" and "incorrect" to say is just sickening to me and scary in a social sense. I guess you don't feel that tho whatever you don't gotta be so rude about it BRO.

I have a little tip for you - As you go through life, many people will say things you disagree with. There is no need to whine about everyone who says something you don't like. You are not required to do what they say, just ignore them. Your life will be easier and happier and none of us will have to deal with your crying.

J

jblumpkin

I have a little tip for you - As you go through life, many people will say things you disagree with. There is no need to whine about everyone who says something you don't like. You are not required to do what they say, just ignore them. Your life will be easier and happier and none of us will have to deal with your crying.

Well I'm disappointed to hear you see it like that. To me getting this out there is part of resisting the forces that want to control society. It all starts with the language.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Good god you guys!!
Quit poopin in your Cheerios and get a long!!
Well I'm disappointed to hear you see it like that. To me getting this out there is part of resisting the forces that want to control society. It all starts with the language.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

I agree, and your language is really bumming me out. Less whining please, and more ignoring the things that genuinely have zero impact on your life.

J

jblumpkin

I agree, and your language is really bumming me out. Less whining please, and more ignoring the things that genuinely have zero impact on your life.

Maybe you should take some of your own advise looking at how you're still upset.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
The point of launguge is communication. As long as your point is being communicated effectively then job well done. Use whatever terms you’d like.

Hell I switch it up sometimes because I find myself using some words far too often. As long as we get the point of the post then it’s all good. Carry on.

Phylex

Phylex

What I find funny about this is I thought cultivar was a short, fancy word for cultivator. I first read the word cultivar here on the site a few weeks ago. I never knew it meant strain. Learn something new everyday.

Dbear180

Dbear180

Lolz your mad at someone over the internet about words & not even words directed solely at you. I'm a painter & i call my waterborne activator water. The rep tells me to call it waterborne activator. I'm the one mixing & spraying it so I dgaf... Get over it bro, it's just letters that make a sound to describe something.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Yup..... Calling men, women. Women, men. Sativa vs skinny leaf.

Human sacrifice, cats and dogs living together. Mass hysteria!

quote from Bill Murray in Ghostbusters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom