Leaf Mottling (Yellow)

• Thread starter dorjewright
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dorjewright

dorjewright

I've uploaded some photos of my scrog/growroom. There are 2 trainwreck and 2 green crack under a 1000 light on a mover, 20" from canopy; spread over a 4x6 screen. A smaller 3x4 screen has 2 white widow, one og kush and 1 super silver haze under a stationary 600 light 16" from canopy. (getting a bit crowded). They are all in 5 gal geo pots with roots organic soil, except for the green crack in question - its in a 3 gal pot. This girl is shades lighter than her sister and has green/yellow motley leaves. . They both have some of the larger shade leaves turning yellow.
Everyone gets the same watering and feeding. Earth Juice catalyst, grow,bloom,meta k and rhino blast (just started). Flipped to 12/12 about 2 weeks ago. That 's probably when the mottling became most noticeable. ALso sprayed with neem oil 2 weeks ago; and last week sprayed with serenade for a few pm spots on the tr.and ssh. So everyones gotten the same treatment, feeding etc..
I'm thinking nitrogen deficiency. Maybe the gc is a heavier feeder that all the others and or pot size restriction?
Photo 1&2 leaves with mottling; photo 3&4 gc girl with lighter leaves on the left,righ next to the more normal gc. 4, ww and og kush liking good.

Leaf mottling yellow
Leaf mottling yellow 2
Leaf mottling yellow 3
Leaf mottling yellow 4
Leaf mottling yellow 5
K

kripplecreek

Well when mine did that it was rootlocked... if (I HOPE it doesnt happen) but if it does perish or after harvest dig it up and look at the bottom of the container the one that I had mottling I kept thinking I was overwatering it or it was lacking vit b but it was just rootlocked or whatever you all call it here

Looked like spaghetti wound up like copper wire lol it was actually pretty to see it but the above ground results were less than stellar xD

I have pics but on the phone gah because I took the photos to whoever would look to see wth was going on with my baby lool

Hope it works out!:cake:bongsmi:

dorjewright

dorjewright

Now I've got yellowing tips to add to the mottling. I'm thinking potassium deficiency now judging from the chart posted by seamaiden. Also both green crack girls are showing the same signs, as well as the trainwreck now.
A couple of things I just thought of: This screen for some reason needed watering 2x a often as the smaller screen under the 600 light.
I tried to adjust the ph of the EJ nutes using EJNatural Up. EJ does not recommend doing this. But my teas have been in the 4.5 range so thought I'd give it a try. Maybe the mistake. Today I will flush (my spring water is 6.3) check the runoff ph and hopefully get some feedback.
the photo doesn't show the yellowing tips but they are there.

Flushed ph is 6.4. Think I'll watch until the next watering then feed my EJ tea.

IMG 0099
dorjewright

dorjewright

Flushing seemed to do the trick. New leaves are darker green and without mottling or burning. SO I suspect the ph up or over feeding.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've only ever seen the mottling on girls that have shown powdery mildew. When it dies within their tissues it seems to cause that mottled appearance. As for the yellowed tips? That's the first sign of slight overfeeding and it's the point to which I like to push every girl.

dorjewright

dorjewright

I was wondering about that. What I've noticed is that the mottling from pm dying( I think that is what it is) has splotchy irregular borders? I haven't seen any pm signs on the green crack (the ones in question). Though now that I look closely the tr has some of the mottling; and definitely has shown signs of pm. So I definitely have some of that. But the mottling in the photos is more regular and seems to be between the veins. But like I said above with the flush the new leaves seem to be a darker normal green.
I assume when you see signs of over feeding you back off by decreasing the amount or timing?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I may also decrease strength of the feed, which is actually my preferred method, generally speaking.

Like I said, the only time I've experienced mottling similar to that is when the plants either are fighting off PM or I've just treated for it. Never any other time (yet!).

dorjewright

dorjewright

Like I said, the only time I've experienced mottling similar to that is when the plants either are fighting off PM or I've just treated for it. Never any other time (yet!).

Seamaiden yes that seems right, I have treated for pm. But I also think trying to correct the Earth Juice tea ph was the wrong way to go because the problem definitely got worse. Flushing seemed to bring back the nice dark green in the new growth. I'm puzzled though why when my tea is 4.5 the runoff would be 6.5????

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Nutrient build-up combined with what the plants have taken up?

dorjewright

dorjewright

Yellowing Puzzle Update

As I've described above I have 2 screens trainwreck and green crack on one and white widow etc. on the other. What I find puzzling is the white widow (from what I understand a light feeder) is a deep green. The tr and gc are very yellowish and have been since flipping 4 weeks ago. They all have the same feeding schedule with the earth juice line. Could I have been underfeeding the sativas?
The first pic is of green crack on the left the white widow on right (and that's not pm - just a photo artifact). The third pic is green crack; the rest are of the trainwreck. The yellowing is most intense right under the middle of the screen - too much light at 22" for the 1000 watt? The white widow is under a 600w light.

IMG 0105
IMG 0106
IMG 0110
IMG 0109
IMG 0111
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I would have bumped up the feed on them a while ago. Being most yellow under the lights suggests to me that they're using up all nutrients very quickly. This is assuming that you're not chasing phantom deficiencies or having problems with "fungus gnats", although your description of the yellowing suggests also that they've been hungry from the beginning. Typically with RAs (the "other" fungus gnat) the yellowing and chasing begin at around 3-4 weeks after flip, not right from flip.

dorjewright

dorjewright

Thanks Seamaiden. That's where I was going too in despiration. Nice to have your backup. I was late in getting these girls under the screen; they were at least 18" then; and now the trunks are almost an inch in diameter. So thinking maybe the entire 5 gal pot is a mass of root with little soil left over?
I thought I would also change the water/feeding schedule. I usually let them dry out to where my moisture meter reads 1 to 2 +/- water for 10 minutes (no runoff) and then add a quart of EJ mix (runoff) (about every 48 hours). Think now I will water 10 minutes everyday, feed every 2 days. Try to keep the moisture level around 5 on my scale rather than let bounce up and down.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oooohh... so they could be root-bound? If that's the case then yes, that also spurs yellowing and with them being so far along and screened in, there's not much you can do about it. Palliative support until harvest!

dorjewright

dorjewright

how about slipping a 7 gal smart pot around them and filling with soil? The roots should grow through the existing fabric.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well, do you want them spending their energy on growing roots, or buds? In my opinion, considering how far along they are, I would ask them to spend the energy growing buds for me, as nicely as I can of course.

dorjewright

dorjewright

that very ok. Would have been quite a streach physically to accomplish that.
SO just checked the moisture level in the pots; its dropped in less than 24 hours from 8 to 2 just inside the edge of the pot to 4 in the middle. I'm going to give them 10 minutes now and feed them in a few hours.
The humidity is 50% at night temps low 70s; daytime its usually 40 but seems to have dropped of to low 30s even with the rain, temps in the high 78 to 81. Maybe I need to lower that?. I'm thinking humidity's too low. I could keep more water in the flood containers. I don't have a humidifier.

dorjewright

dorjewright

Doubled the feeding ( stopped diluting) and doubled Bloom. Overnight response everything looks greener and the buds are denser. Yay!!

Top Bottom