leaves edges curling up! pics.

• Thread starter ganja_guy52
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

ganja_guy52

was wondering if anyone had any ideas? everything has been fine and the plants still look happy but theres this curling upwards of the leaf edges on the tops of the plants and the new growth as well.
ph is 6-6.5
i had to move them all under the light past couple days cuz of rain, maybe heat stress from the light (1000 w.). i raised it all the way up, but still more curling.

Emerald jack edges curlingjpg
Curling
Curling 2jpg
cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
Heat stress. Might stunt it for a second but it should be fine as long as you cool it down

G

ganja_guy52

i was thinkg heat stress hopefullt the weather clears up soon and i can get them back outside and spicoli u bring up a good point the only thing new i added to that particular plants nutrients was cal-mag?? (botanicare). 5ml. the other seedling got it too. and as u can see it got "topped" on accident.

J

johndeere

Yeah, the leaf curl looks like heat stress for sure.If its just till you can put them back outside then pull the light way away, just enough to keep them from stretching is all you need. Good Luck

G

ganja_guy52

yeah i hope the weather gets back to normal, i think im going to flip the 2 little ones soon after i clone, never cloned b4 hope it works out :worried

S

Snow Crash

Textbook potassium deficiency actually.

Potassium is a very important element for the mobility of a variety of elements, energy, and water. When it comes to transpiration (sweating) of the leaves to help them stay cool this is the most important nutritional element.

As a cation potassium will compete for uptake (osmosis) with other cations. Calcium, Magnesium, and Sodium are generally the cations that will skew the uptake of Potassium. Excesses of anions like sulfates, phosphates, and nitates, can cause precipitation of Potassium based salts. Balance is key.

During instances of high heat and high humidity the plant feels the same way you do, like you just cannot cool off, the water just doesn't do much evaporating and cooling. The plant works and works to push the water out and shapes itself that way to help stay cool. In very low humidity and high temperature the plant will be transpiring as quickly as possible because the water evaporates right off so fast that it's practically being pulled out (like growing in a dehydrator).

No matter how you carve it, high or low RH, it's always the heat that increases the need for transpiration and the need for Potassium. Add in a salinity issue and things can get bad fast.

In this case the slight yellowing of the leaves near the edges and the curl of the leaf it would appear there is most definitely a potassium issue, in addition there may be a too high N too low P problem going on.

My suggestion here is to cut way back on the Cal-Mag Plus or other calcium nitrate based supplement if you've been using it. With the next 2 or 3 feedings you'll want to get a good 1:1 runoff ratio (4 gallons in, 2 gallons out) to ensure that build up is not a contributing factor.

In addition, with these feedings you'll want to do a little tweaking of the npk ca/mg profile. My suggestion is to use a kelp extract or other "stress reduction" kind of B-vitamin/auxin/cytokinin supplement. Things with Yucca, kelp, and fulvic acid will help your plant rebound from the stress. These supplements are usually naturally high in Potassium and I'd be using something like Liquid Karma and MaxiCrop/Nitrozyme/Seaplex/BioWeed at full strength. Do it with the first watering, then on the third watering. A few tablespoons of a higher pk composted fertilizer amended into the top soil is probably all the other "nutrient" fixing I would want to do. Keep it organic, you know?

Then, just keep your eye on the pH and top dress with a little dolomite every few weeks to keep your micro-buffer balanced. If all this curling is recent damage since they've been under the 1000w and the heat from it then once the light is backed off, and the plants rebound, and you move them outdoors... They'll be fine.

Don't do anything drastic. Just address the deep lush blue/green look to them (indicating the N:P issue) and make sure to replace that potassium your plants have been burning through. Easy peasy.

hiboy

hiboy

Most higher quality base fertilizers have the basic needs to grow a plant healthy, course every strain does have extra needs.
Are you giving your plants the minimum amounts of nutes?
hiboy

G

ganja_guy52

really appreciate the feedback everyone keep it coming, snow ur def right about the N bcuz i gave it another boost (5-0-0) w/ the last watering bcuz im going to put it into flower soon, i cut out the liquid karma for Hygrozyme bcuz i seen better results from the hygro. I have been wanting to do a flush, i think im going to now. They're back outside now so hopefully they pull thru within the next wk? What about Ginormous for PK?

hiboy, i'm giving them 5ml or less except w/ the Hygrozyme (8-10ml) Should I jus use ph water for a couple watering's then hit'em w/ the nutes?

hiboy

hiboy

Hygrozyme and karma are completely different nutes.
Karma is a fertilizer/additive, where hygroyzme cleans/breaks down root matters. I use both in my grows. Hygro everyother reservoir change.
Flushing is always a good thing to clean out excess salt buildup.

hiboy

S

Snow Crash

The ginormous at 0-18-16 is probably a good fit right now. Another option for you would be Earth Juice Bloom (a basic Bone Meal organic tea concentrate).

I agree that Hygrozyme and Liquid Karma are totally different products. Of all the "mystical" over priced snake-oil magic potion stuff on the market this one product has found its way into my heart.

Something to be mindful of is that the LK, despite having low listed element concentrations, has a very high natural EC. It registers ~9x the promised levels on the bottle which can assure you there is much more to this system than meets the eye. By removing this product and increasing the overall EC you're actually using a considerable amount more food now than you had been when using the LK.

At 10ml/gallon LK registers a .3 increase in my EC.

Hygrozyme is good stuff for recirculating reservoirs and hydroponics. I think it's better suited to systems that have a harder time with root health like NFT and DWC, where "slime" is an issue. In coco, I don't think it's going to hurt anything, but I think there might be more efficient places to put your cash. For myself, and many others, a few $$ here and there for peace of mind and to fulfill my curiosity isn't a big deal. Gotta love the experimental spirits!

Knowing that you already have the Liquid Karma I will suggest adding that back into your system at full strength. The Potassium it contains will help, but so will the yucca extract, fulvic acid, and b-vitamins (plus whatever the hell else they put in there). I buy the stuff by the gallon now, up until recently I used as much LK as I do A+B combined.

If your garden was my garden and I had the 5-0-0, the Ginormous and the Liquid Karma, then I'd be running something like:

3ml of the 5-0-0, 1ml Ginormous, and 10ml Liquid Karma

Runoff to excess, checking the EC of the runoff until it is at the least under 2.0ec.

This will be balanced, not too strong, and with a good organic base (LK is designed to help reduce stress, and your plant could use a "vacation"). I find that when you start mixing a few things together it's best to start applying some ratios. If you get "18p" and "16k"from 1ml of Ginormous then you'll need 3ml of the 5-0-0 to get "15p" in the solution. Add in the LK and the final ratio is really balanced, maybe a little potassium dominated, but only by a handful of ppm.

Try to work you ratios like that when you mix things and you'll see some improvement. Aim for balance at first, then you can react to problems as they arise, but always change your ratios slowly over time. Drastic changes can cause more problems and a terrible amount of confusion. Slow and steady in that regard.

For the time being, heat and potassium, that's the focus. Then you can handle what comes next.

G

ganja_guy52

the only thing i used was ph water for this watering and was going to do a flush on Monday, also add the LK back into the mix. It's been about 30 days now shud i just start flowering the plant in the pic? And doesn't the plant have to be in flower to use Ginormous?idk? What about grinding up potassium pills and throwing it in the nute mix?:bongsmi:

G

ganja_guy52

wat up farmers! so, something new has happened, my plants tips are turning white, and on the top half of the plants, the leaf edges are turning a rust color. I just noticed this yesterday and today it is significantly worsening.

The only thing diff. I did was add 15ml of Cal/Mag (All plants get only 5ml of nutes), but I just added the Cal/Mag Monday? Is 2 days enough time to notice a difference like that or do i still need to address the K issue(which i'm hoping it's still not bcuz it's been addressed)? Thanx Farmers!!

Rusty leaf 1
Rusty leaf 2
Rusty leaf 3
dorjewright

dorjewright

I've got the same thing going on and the girls are out in the rain and cold in 65 gal smart pots. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. I sprayed with some foxfarm big grow since the yellowing leaf edges might be nitrogen deficiency? They are soaking wet so I haven't wanted to water/feed. But I did use a ewc/alfalfa/alaska humus tea a week ago and got some white tips.

dorjewright

dorjewright

here are some pics from my outside girls. I foliar fed Big Bloom to help with the early blooming from the cold weather (I think). The curled is an og kush, the yellowing at edges , granddady and purple kush, the purple leaves, odessey.

can't seem to up load I'll try later.

dorjewright

dorjewright

I have been struggling with canoeing and rusty spotting during flowering especially. I recently came across an article that identified the former as a magnesium deficiency the spotting as a calcium deficiency.
I use well water with plenty of ca and mg or so I thought. Check out my thread on well water because Seamaiden answered that the dissolved ca and mg are not available. So this run I plan to supplement with both and hope it solves the problem.

Last edited:
J

Jahshaman

Yo! I know it’s a bit late, about 6 years too late: but I had to reply to this thread, because, how is it that no one suspects russet or broad mites? From the pics, I’d say my first reaction is that that’s what it is. The browning yellowing of the edges just lightly with no spotting, and especially the progression of the issue from leaf edges to the golden of the tips, is classic russet mite symptoms. They are microscopic, and even with a microscope, trying to see one of the larvae is about all you’ll ever be able to do, and it will take work, steady hand, and good eyes with a decent microscopic device. Even if you can’t find them with the scope, doesn’t mean they’re not there! Yes it’s scary: it’s the worst issue in cannabis farming today. So based on all the evidence and the progression, it does not fit anything else but russet mites. Where are you growing? What state and area? Has anyone in your town ever mentioned russet mites? Ask the grow store if anyone has ever come in with a russet mite problem. By now in 2022 I’m certain you’ve heard of them by now. Lmk if you get this and what your thoughts are.

Top Bottom