Led Better Than Hid???

• Thread starter Farmer P
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Relax, You asked if he "had any thoughts".
The man said no.
Though I too would like to know why not, it's not really my business. :)

I have used HPS, MH, and fluorescent tubes, including Growlux, for many years
Discovered LEDs in 2006.
Built some DIY units, got amazing results.
Did some side by side grows. It was no contest. :)

I now use LEDs exclusively.

DSCF8030

Done right, they have NO equal, and that includes the new plasma lights.
Target the right bands and they have the highest usable watts per photons of any obtainable light source.
JMHO, Your mileage may be similar. :D

Aloha,
Weeze

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Update:

Found 4 videos that compared white, 5500k. Leds to red and blue leds, 3 different ways.
I have been passing on the white leds since my early experiment with them, (2007), found them to be lacking.
I have advised that 2 color LED arrays are completely adequate, because they have been so for me personally.
Mileage varies!
I just watches a commercial 50W, (38W. actual), 2 color COB lose a grow off to a 50W. 5500k., commercial white COB.
I now have some new information that changes the way I think about these thing, and makes me question the various methods I've been using.
I'm about to throw a 120W., (Actual power consumption), 6000k. "corn light" back into my cabinet and do some retesting.

Thanks for that link. :)

Aloha,
Weeze

keiksweat

keiksweat

I'm currently testing,been running led panels for a few years.had some amazing results too.still believe they have a place for us small room growers.they ain't gonna hit gavita de numbers,no way.but they do make the sticky.im currently shaking it up a bit.ive put a 315cmh fixture in the centre,with a led panel on each end.so far so good.spectrum of the cmh is amazing.the mix of that with the leds looks really promising...
WP 20170111 22 49 58 Pro LI
WP 20170114 19 34 36 Rich LI
WP 20170114 19 40 35 Rich LI

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Neither hps nor led. CMH ftmfw! I'm killing it with my cmh. My veg run is 2 to 3 weeks ahead of where it should be and where I need it to be. Going to be cutting at least 1.5' off the top of the canopy on all strains. My.flower room is on par with my old 3x600hps to my new 4x315cmh grow. Buds seem to be equal in size, and look about 7 days ahead of my normal growth schedule.

Also running about 1/2 the power, but getting thensame.or better results. Less ac usage, much better PAR, uva/b, 20k bulb life, vlah, blah, blah.

Last edited:
Wee Zard

Wee Zard

can you link the vids - thanks

Tried to.
No can find.
It was a 4 part video that presented when the posted one was finished.
Seems the robot does not want to show me anything I've already viewed.
Hmmm, lemme clear my cache and cookies and try again.

Edit:
That worked.
If that won't play, do a you tube search for;
White LED vs Red/Blue LED Grow light Grow Test.

Last edited:
Derf Werfler

Derf Werfler

Hey @Wee Zard! Nice to meet you! I had a bit of spare time to check out some new threads. Thanks for providing the links to that 4 part video! I found it very interesting as well!

@Farmer P! Nice to meet you! Great thread you got started here. Interesting stuff so far!!

Peace and Good Vibes to ALL!

Derf

Homesteader

Homesteader

The range in quality in regards to LED emitters is extremely important when comparing an LED. In my opinion outside of COBs and Quantum boards which I don't have much knowledge on, Osram and Cree make incredibly nice emitters but you really need to get the right lamps and in the right color. You pay for quality. Don't believe shit like TOP BIN if they are not willing to tell you what emitters they use......ie blackdog...cough cough cough.

Best on the market IMO for 1w,3w,5w

Osram Oslon SSL Deep blue, hyper red, far red in 80 degree angles
and
Cree XTE royal blue, XP-E HE Photo red, Xp-G 4000k

vs

Chinese cheap diodes that are 1996 tech

My point is that you hear people say LED sucks because of this and that, but it is never as simple as that.

Farmer P

Farmer P

Hi Derf. Pleased to meet you too. I thought the 4 part video was interesting also. Looks like the more natural spectrum of light wins.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Looks like the more natural spectrum of light wins.

Well, I wouldn't say that!
The test method was a little flaky, and he was not growing Cannabis. He was growing cherry tomatoes.
I don't know if he researched the spectral peaks for Tomato plants because he make a few ignorant sounding statements about red frequencies.
What I found when researching Cannabis was that most strands have a major red peak at 657 nm. That's when I switched to 660 nm. from the 635's in spite of lower photons/Watt.

What's puzzling about this is the simple fact that I've been rocking the LEDs for a long time now, and have never had a Cannabis plant get all weak in the stem under 2 color LEDs.
In fact, the only floppy plants I've ever experienced were growing in tropical sunshine.
Hard to find a more "natural" spectrum than that, yah?

Still going to play with the white led lamp again just for gits and shiggles.
It was a disappointment in the first trial, with 'lings.
I'll do a side by side with some 3' tall ladies and see if there is any difference in growth.

I'll get back to y'all if I remember. :)

Aloha,
Weeze

keiksweat

keiksweat

The range in quality in regards to LED emitters is extremely important when comparing an LED. In my opinion outside of COBs and Quantum boards which I don't have much knowledge on, Osram and Cree make incredibly nice emitters but you really need to get the right lamps and in the right color. You pay for quality. Don't believe shit like TOP BIN if they are not willing to tell you what emitters they use......ie blackdog...cough cough cough.

Best on the market IMO for 1w,3w,5w

Osram Oslon SSL Deep blue, hyper red, far red in 80 degree angles
and
Cree XTE royal blue, XP-E HE Photo red, Xp-G 4000k

vs

Chinese cheap diodes that are 1996 tech

My point is that you hear people say LED sucks because of this and that, but it is never as simple as that.
totally agree about the osrams..if I was gonna build a diy panel,think it would be cobs,like 5000k or similar,and reds and far red osrams...

keiksweat

keiksweat

Well, I wouldn't say that!
The test method was a little flaky, and he was not growing Cannabis. He was growing cherry tomatoes.
I don't know if he researched the spectral peaks for Tomato plants because he make a few ignorant sounding statements about red frequencies.
What I found when researching Cannabis was that most strands have a major red peak at 657 nm. That's when I switched to 660 nm. from the 635's in spite of lower photons/Watt.

What's puzzling about this is the simple fact that I've been rocking the LEDs for a long time now, and have never had a Cannabis plant get all weak in the stem under 2 color LEDs.
In fact, the only floppy plants I've ever experienced were growing in tropical sunshine.
Hard to find a more "natural" spectrum than that, yah?

Still going to play with the white led lamp again just for gits and shiggles.
It was a disappointment in the first trial, with 'lings.
I'll do a side by side with some 3' tall ladies and see if there is any difference in growth.

I'll get back to y'all if I remember. :)

Aloha,
Weeze
any pics bro?

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Thousands. :)
Here's a few.
Gluecy
LED grown1
Rod n Jack1
3 lights

Way too many.

Large, dense buds on solid stems with no droop.
All on DIY .
Mostly Ledengin 15 W. emitters, but 3 arrays were built with unbranded 3, and 5 W. chips.
Have been using them constantly 18:6, or 12:12 for 10 years and they still perform well.
Did have a blue emitter die on one of them, but it was an easy fix.
The plants that went floppy outdoors were hardened off properly, the droop started after 4 weeks outdoors.
Post-mortem exam showed underdeveloped roots.
Something stopped the roots from filling their pots.
Wasn't the LEDs. though.
I've done DWC indoors and root growth was excellent!

No problems with the current greenhouse gals.

Well, I take that back.
One of da harem has gone "lazy" at 6 weeks out.
Had to prop her up.
Showed no signs of it in veg. under 2 color LEDs
I'm betting it's also a root problem.
I'll know in another week or so.

Aloha,
Wee

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Ah, Here's the one I was looking for.
2big

Back when I was flowering indoors under the 150W. array
She got too big to try flowering indoors.
So, got my doctor's rec., and slapped up a greenhouse.
Life is good in the tropics. :)

Aloha,
Weeze

Derf Werfler

Derf Werfler

@Farmer P Have you looked at Advanced LED grow lights? Made in the USA, Cree and Osram chips, Good warranty! http://store.advancedledlights.com/led-grow-lights-3

@Wee Zard Nice Pics! I wish I had some DIY skills, your setup looks great!

@keiksweat I am very interested in how your CMH + LED grow turns out!

@DemonTrich I have just recently moved to where I can grow in a room or two, instead of my tents. I decided to go with LEDS a couple years ago. Now that I can outfit a bigger area i need some additional lighting. I have drooled like Homer Simpson lookin at a doughnut ever since the CMH's came out. I am purchasing some more Advanced LED brand lights. However, I have room for 4 more lights... I am twitchin like a tweaker to do a small room with CMH. Thinking about doing an experiment this summer, CMH vs. Advanced XML Diamond series. I am just a little worried about CMH power costs vs LED, and the extra heat I expect from the CMH. But dangit, I keep reading so much great stuff about CMH/LEC!! As I mentioned to @keiksweat I am very interested in his project. Sounds like you are dialed in and very happy!

Best wishes to all with your grows!!

Derf

Top Bottom