Led Fixture Fan Replacement

• Thread starter OldSmokie76
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Need to replace a fan (or both) in an LED fixture. I've searched online a little only to realize I can't locate an exact replacement. So now I need to know how to measure these damn things to size up a compatible replacement. I expect I need to match the hole pattern for mounting purposes, but how do I figure the rest of the details I need to match? What mm fan is this? Measure the blade? It is one of two fans which cool this little off brand 300LED. It's a loaner so I plan to repair it.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Need to replace a fan (or both) in an LED fixture. I've searched online a little only to realize I can't locate an exact replacement. So now I need to know how to measure these damn things to size up a compatible replacement. I expect I need to match the hole pattern for mounting purposes, but how do I figure the rest of the details I need to match? What mm fan is this? Measure the blade? It is one of two fans which cool this little off brand 300LED. It's a loaner so I plan to repair it.

Usually they are marked as they measure in mm if they are 12V PC fans. That's outer dimensions.Did you take the light apart yet? There's most likely something written on it.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Oops, forgot to post the pic. I didn't see any distinguishable info other than 12v. I searched model number and got lost. Ended up watching funny kitten videos, cyst popping videos, before decending into a kief induced video wormhole. I'm gonna take it off the light and inspect the under side too.

IMG 20180515 160051847 LL
Toaster79

Toaster79

Oops, forgot to post the pic. I didn't see any distinguishable info other than 12v. I searched model number and got lost. Ended up watching funny kitten videos, cyst popping videos, before decending into a kief induced video wormhole. I'm gonna take it off the light and inspect the under side too.

There's nothing on the other side. You'll have to measure it. It's 90mm or 120mm, 25mm height.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

So I can match the size (80mm, 25mm height), 12v but I can't seem to locate the same .45A. I am uncertain of the cfm, but I figure more the better. If I can't match the amps, I should go lower not higher, but as close as possible. Sounds about right. Does the higher amp indicate higher cfm?

Westie

Westie

So I can match the size (80mm, 25mm height), 12v but I can't seem to locate the same .45A. I am uncertain of the cfm, but I figure more the better. If I can't match the amps, I should go lower not higher, but as close as possible. Sounds about right. Does the higher amp indicate higher cfm?
I would not be concerned with matching the amperage, .45a.
Anything that same size is fine. (I would want a balance of quiet, and providing high cfm.)

Fry's Electronics is my local go to spot for stuff like that....or the interwebs. :-)

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I would not be concerned with matching the amperage, .45a.
Anything that same size is fine. (I would want a balance of quiet, and providing high cfm.)

Fry's Electronics is my local go to spot for stuff like that....or the interwebs. :)
Sounds good. My other concern is matching the existing connectors. I've seen many different types. I assume finding a good fan is priority then I can easily replace the connectors if needed. 88mm fan is the outside edge of fan case, then hole patterns should typically match up from one 88 to the next? What's the best cfm of an 88mm on the market? Hmmmm, google....

Toaster79

Toaster79

Sounds good. My other concern is matching the existing connectors. I've seen many different types. I assume finding a good fan is priority then I can easily replace the connectors if needed. 88mm fan is the outside edge of fan case, then hole patterns should typically match up from one 88 to the next? What's the best cfm of an 88mm on the market? Hmmmm, google....

Yes, holes should match, but there's something else confusing. Standard "90"mm pc fans are 92mm :(

Regarding connectors, i wouldn't bother matching them. I'd solder those connections and forget about them. My pc is 10 years old running 24/7 300 days a year and had to swap the first fan last year. Get a quality fan and stretch those holes with a file or something to fit and forget about it. And while you're at it, swap all of the original fans. Looks like they hit their MTBF.

Top Bottom