Leds

• Thread starter Gavg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

Full sunlight equals 2000 u/mol or 108,000 Lux.

A conversion factor can be done depending on your light source using LUX. Example: If you have CMH in 4200k you would multiply the LUX number by .0154 to get u/mol. To convert sunlight you would multiply by .0185.

LUX_EN_1.jpg

Last edited:
Monster762

Monster762

Full sunlight equals 2000 u/mol or 108,000 Lux.

A conversion factor can be done depending on your light source using LUX. Example: If you have CMH in 4200k you would multiply the LUX number by .0154 to get u/mol. To convert sunlight you would multiply by .0185.

LUX_EN_1.jpg
Ok my t5 fluorescent is reading 32060 lux at canopy. but led cob reads only 900 at same distance. So I don’t get this breakdown. Plus this says a flourescent is stronger than mh.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I think they are saying the florescent are least powerful but this is an old chart. Your phone app is not a real light meter but that doesn't sound right.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Ok my t5 fluorescent is reading 32060 lux at canopy. but led cob reads only 900 at same distance. So I don’t get this breakdown. Plus this says a flourescent is stronger than mh.

Are your cobs specified with a kelvin degree like 3500k or 5000k? If they are blue and red it is normal, as i said lux calculation doesn’t take 400-450 and 650-700 nms into account and your led lights are specifically emitting in that range to correspond with the peak of photosynthetic activity. If they are specified with a kelvin degree they are white or yellowish lights and lux meter would only work in that ocassion with leds.

Homesteader

Homesteader

1 watt of green energy is detected as 485 on the LUX meter when 1 watt of red energy is equal to 73 lumen.

LUX meter is not accurate by any means but it is helpful at finding hot spots on your grow but not comparing lights. A $100 hydrofarm PAR meter is worth the money IMO.

The app can get you in the ballpark though.

Monster762

Monster762

Are your cobs specified with a kelvin degree like 3500k or 5000k? If they are blue and red it is normal, as i said lux calculation doesn’t take 400-450 and 650-700 nms into account and your led lights are specifically emitting in that range to correspond with the peak of photosynthetic activity. If they are specified with a kelvin degree they are white or yellowish lights and lux meter would only work in that ocassion with leds.
Yeah I don’t have the specs on me but it’s some chips are 3000ksome 4500k uv and 660 and I think 730 no too. I’ll have to get the details. It’s a cheap set but a cob is just chips on board with reflector. It’s a combo of chips but looks like sunlight not purple. But on wall of tent you can see purple hue so it’s got the purple somewhere. I grabbed 2 of em for less than $300 6 50wdomes each unit. True draw. Rated equivalent 1200w but we all know thats bs.

Monster762

Monster762

Yeah I don’t have the specs on me but it’s some chips are 3000ksome 4500k uv and 660 and I think 730 no too. I’ll have to get the details. It’s a cheap set but a cob is just chips on board with reflector. It’s a combo of chips but looks like sunlight not purple. But on wall of tent you can see purple hue so it’s got the purple somewhere. I grabbed 2 of em for less than $300 6 50wdomes each unit. True draw. Rated equivalent 1200w but we all know thats bs.
So far works real good just don’t like the way it’s got all that light so tight together. Needs to be spread more.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter

That description fits my light too, it looks like white light when i look at my plants but when i take a photo it is purple and on the walls it is purple too, i have never been able to get a reading with a lux meter. Specifications are important i think even those leds are designed to somewhat corrrespond with the peaks and you are measuring anything in between with a lux reading.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Most COBs if not all start with a 450nm bottom coat of InGaN with yellow phosphor coating that makes it look white. Maybe that is why it is not reading. Interesting that it is reading that low.

Monster762

Monster762

4172FE36 A70D 4990 A77A 19081E3AF3CB
This is how it looks on the plant but if you look at tent walls it’s red. Tried to find specs and it’s unavailable now. Not for sale. For the price then I rolled the dice so far pretty good.

H

hawkman

This is a chart i found now, lumens and lux are what you are measuring with lightmeter it doesn’t cover the peak points of photosynthesis which leds are based on delivering. If the leds are red and blue and ir and uv you are not really taking those specific nms into account when you are reading lumen or lux.
What do you think of "California Light Works" they have led's (in their Solar System line) that have a sun-rise/sun-set setting - letting the LED to "minnuck" the sun's locations thru the 18/6 cycles + other controls Thoughts !pricy about $700.00 + 17% discount off price (the 225 modle = a 400 HID, ect) WAS SOLD ON KIND LES'D LIGHTING BUT AFTER LOOKING AT THE CALIFORNIA LIGHT WORKS SOLAR SYSTEMS LINE -- might have changed my mind - one all way wants to up-grade if possible - money a big iussue !!!

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
What do you think of "California Light Works" they have led's (in their Solar System line) that have a sun-rise/sun-set setting - letting the LED to "minnuck" the sun's locations thru the 18/6 cycles + other controls Thoughts !pricy about $700.00 + 17% discount off price (the 225 modle = a 400 HID, ect) WAS SOLD ON KIND LES'D LIGHTING BUT AFTER LOOKING AT THE CALIFORNIA LIGHT WORKS SOLAR SYSTEMS LINE -- might have changed my mind - one all way wants to up-grade if possible - money a big iussue !!!
Wish i could help you but i dont have extensive knowledge on the subject and also on that specific brand but i’ve seen some of their lights and they seem fine also mimmicking the sun is a good idea as it eases the change from dark to light and vice versa for the plant. If anyone has ever used one it would be nice to share the experience. Maybe you can start a new thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom