less is more?

• Thread starter Skuff
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Skuff

whats everyones opinion on more or less plants in a grow space?
i usually do 4 at a time in each room, but one of the plants seems to have died very early on, but wasnt noticed as the other 3 completely covered it. cropped today and the 3 others seem to be better than ever?

also i have no idea why the one that died did. in all my 7+ years growing ive never had that happen before

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I think less is better. Less numbers is certainly better is LEO becomes involved. More plants does give a better safe guard against a total loss at harvest time though. If that plant that had died was the only one you'd be pissed fosho.

C

cell

I would also factor in variables such as the space being used, spectrum deviation per plant, etc..

S

Shaggy

IMHO the dif really is
Fewer plants usually involve veg time to get them to a size they can utilize all the space
More plants... can be smaller and go straight into flower as a rooted clone...8-10 weeks and your done... ready to start the next run

I've been playing with a vert... in that style more is better...

F

FastForward

whats everyones opinion on more or less plants in a grow space?

When I work it out I'll let you know :) I was on the side of fewer, bigger plants....but mine are too big and I'm certain that it's far from optimal (4 plants in a 1.2m tent). Next time around I'm going to try 6-8 plants vegged for shorter time. So not really high density but higher density if you know what I mean. I think it comes down to strains and growroom as much as liability...

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
I think running less the plants get better light penetration but I run more so I can have more strains go thru at once so I can keep lookin for that 1 lady faster that will be my Elite

S

spinkus

Zoo I can't wait till you find your elite! lol All the damn beans you run it's gonna be one special lady.

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
I had her bro but like a fool I thought I could do better and just tossed her outside and even rans her clone's over with a lawnmower because I had to many:(

S

spinkus

Total bummer Zoo. I too threw out a very special cut I ran from seed, but luckily I had given her out to two old-timers. One of the old bastards loved her like I did and kept her, so luckily she's back home with me. Sorry to hear about your Elite Zoo. Always learn from your mistakes, right?

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I personally sit middle of the road on this issue. I always aim to have a few relatively (relative to the space) large plants, but always end up with 1 or 2 more than I expected so I keep them a bit smaller. So it all works out in the end, and I usually end up with a bit of a variety pack.

B

bon

Premium Member
Supporter
i'm also doing 4 plants at a time from seed, 1,20m², 600Watt, 15L pots and a 6-8 weeks veg period.

But i like the idea to have more so that if something happens i don't loose 1/4th.

This round i was pretty unlucky and only got three females, so now i'm only running three. And one of the three is showing some early nanners so maybe have to loose that one...

I even did only 2 plants in my tent once, pretty good yield and two monster plants!

cheers

K

kid606

i've done 15 plants super sog style on less then 0,5m2
turned out pretty good..i'd recommend sog if you got any height restriction..you can send the clones to flower shortly after they rooted..depending on the strain you end up with comfortable sized plants..i would not recommend indicas that don't stretch much after flipping nor any ever stretching super sativas..better find something sweet between..
:smoke

M

moggggys

ah

ok light penetrates down a depth , this creates a potential size of plant as to go beyond this is to piss in the wind and waste growing time , a 1000w hps grows good bud at 4 foot wheres a 400w with just tickle and produce fuck all on a plant needing 4 foot of penetration ,,,,,,, so plants need to be grown to the appropriate size of the grow set-up to maximise the penetration and therefore useable light

but

root mass is super dooper important , bigger roots then more power , better absorbsion of nutes and well everything just better , a plant grown to a good hight then topped will create more bud than a plant grown to the topped hight ( if you get me )

and width , the spray of light is determined by once again the light output and also the reflector , theres also crossover light to increase the intencity on the periferies ( outside bits ) and sure as shit the reflective surfaces to be concidered

and to really piss on things as shaggy pointed out vert lights are soooooooo mucc more effective its a laugh

and strain choice , sats are desparate for light , indis arnt so

.......... bugger

ok this is about experience and trying loads of shit out ok , its not a fail safe bestist must grow type guide at all and individual choise is everything

vert hung lights in a waterfarm or aquafarm set up with hybrid plants such as cheese , chronic etc grown to 2 foot then flowered under 600 lights are IMO the very very best for yeild over light usage , every other grow style is playing catch-up in comparision be it ebb and flow to shelved verts to passive hydro to 9 foot monsters to having 500 6 inch clones under a shit load of lights , this wins everytime

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Just my opinion. To get the best yield in a given area, SOG with the plants trained correctly, flipped on time, and depending on strain, will give the best yield. Also, you can get far more harvests a year.
Running a monster plant through a scrog can preform well too, but I'll use mother plants that have gotten to large.

I'll put an example of both.
First is a SCROG, the next is a small SOG (*see avitar) SOG harvest flipped to 12/12 From clone. Like I mentioned, strain is very important in decision.
SCROG is at week 3 or so, SOG, is at week 5.
I lost lots of pics demonstrating this, when as I didn't back up my last phone that won't turn on....grrr
The SOG is under a 250, while SOG is under 600 4 1/2 by 4 1/2 scrog

20171221 162623
20171221 162540
20171215 124458
Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

I have to say this strain performs well in both, but no veg time in SOG.
I put 12 of these in styraphome party cups in 4 sq ft area. Trimming much easier, far more harvests a year, and bigger yields per sq ft

Top Bottom