life of a 1000 watt bulb

Discussion in 'Basic Growing Information' started by cheech, May 26, 2010.

1. cheech

cheech Active Farmer

i just finished up two runs with a couple 1000 watt hortilux bulbs. i was wondering how long you guys are using yours for before you decide to replace them.

these bulbs have never been on for more then 12 hours at a time. my two flower rooms are perpetual and they run 12 hours on/off until they are replaced.

i figured i would just replace them after every three harvests. that would be 6-7 months of use running 12/12.

do any of you replace them based off of light meter readings? i might buy a light meter and then see what the lumens read brand new and replace them after a certain percentage of lumen loss. appreciate the input.

2. convex

convex Well-Known Farmer

Some say every harvest ... but thats too wasteful for my budget.
    Every 12 months suits me, unless I see a real decline in bud growth.

3. cheech

cheech Active Farmer

hmm.. me and you must be the only ones running horti's. well.. it looks like between some growers 1 grow and your 6 grows with the bulb i'm about average.

if every grow with a 1000 watt bulb is about 1.5 lbs, which is worth 4500 then i guess i should just replace the bulb every two grows.

if anyone knows that it doesn't effect yield though for a third run please post.

4. Lost

Lost Active Farmer

Im a cheap ass but I have been replacing them every 12-18 months. I know thats bad but im poor :)

5. 9-12 months depending on bud growth with any hps 400 or better

6. Midnight_son

Midnight_son Premium Member Supporter

I replace mine every 12 month's.

7. SSHZ

SSHZ Guest

I replace mine every year also......... and I use them in veg and flowering straight thru.

8. cheech

cheech Active Farmer

damnnn.. one year. that's way longer then i thought they would last.. sounds good to me though.

9. l0g1c4l

l0g1c4l New Farmer

I replace my bulbs yearly...I think thats fair

10. og dmc

og dmc Well-Known Farmer

11. Detox

Detox New Farmer

1 year is the standard

12. Globel

Globel Farmer

light meter is 25$ ? ebay.

13. cheech

cheech Active Farmer

i haven't looked, but i'd be interested in buying one and recording the lumen loss over time.

14. Detox

Detox New Farmer

ive always wanted a light meter , would be every handy