Light During Drying?

• Thread starter ABM
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

ABM

Saw a thread from 2011; asked of light being good or bad when drying.
My take on this issue is, if u r cutting and hanging colas and u flushed proper, all that's left in the plant is water, which is what u r trying to get rid of in the first place while they're hanging.
If the colas are hanging under a (low heat or no heat) light source, that light will ensure a drying time where the plant colas will be still living for as long as it can off of what moisture that's left in its main stem of each cola. Just because u cut off the cola from the plant, does not mean the cola is dead! i't still alive till there is nothing left for it to survive on. It may be dying but it doesn't know that;it doesn't have a brain,it just goes on and lives till it can't!

So theory is, the light should help the plant live a little on what's left of moisture in it use it up, and then start dying. I feel this also may help ease into the curing process easier, as the colas have used up all left in it that's been cut and hung to dry. But after a week or a few days more, the dry should continue without the light, because there's no need for light anymore, it is past the 20% living or to say, its moisture content is so low there is nothing left to support life in it. I don't feel that hanging should be done under grow lights though. just a florescent light will do what's needed.
Anyone who has any words or thoughts of this please enter your own on this subject! It will be good to hear what others growers may have to say on this subject.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Saw a thread from 2011; asked of light being good or bad when drying.
My take on this issue is, if u r cutting and hanging colas and u flushed proper, all that's left in the plant is water, which is what u r trying to get rid of in the first place while they're hanging.
If the colas are hanging under a (low heat or no heat) light source, that light will ensure a drying time where the plant colas will be still living for as long as it can off of what moisture that's left in its main stem of each cola. Just because u cut off the cola from the plant, does not mean the cola is dead! i't still alive till there is nothing left for it to survive on. It may be dying but it doesn't know that;it doesn't have a brain,it just goes on and lives till it can't!

So theory is, the light should help the plant live a little on what's left of moisture in it use it up, and then start dying. I feel this also may help ease into the curing process easier, as the colas have used up all left in it that's been cut and hung to dry. But after a week or a few days more, the dry should continue without the light, because there's no need for light anymore, it is past the 20% living or to say, its moisture content is so low there is nothing left to support life in it. I don't feel that hanging should be done under grow lights though. just a florescent light will do what's needed.
Anyone who has any words or thoughts of this please enter your own on this subject! It will be good to hear what others growers may have to say on this subject.
Light can destroy THC while drying..With that said..I have not seen this myself, but keep my drying closet as dark as possible..My 2 cents.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I hang mine to dry in the flowering room / section. So 12 hours a day they get some light. It’s not intentional but I don’t have the space for a separate drying area with ventilation so that’s how I’ve always done it.

My flowering area is relatively dry to prevent mold during flowering so it’s ideal imo for the task. Most of the heavy lifting is done after they go into jars as far as curing goes.

But everyone has their own routine and reasons for doing so. I do it this way for convenience.

A

ABM

B4 i could type out anything on this about lights, i got a reply b4 i could say more.
People say that light destroys thc. true if the wrong kind of light rays. If what one will say of light destroying thc, then they should smoke in the dark or in some way, never have ur cured weed be exposed to light ever! I would think that they could not have there stash open to the kitchen light! the response would be: "i left my weed lay on the kitchen table over night with the light on; my weed is not as good now today as it was yesterday.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

B4 i could type out anything on this about lights, i got a reply b4 i could say more.
People say that light destroys thc. true if the wrong kind of light rays. If what one will say of light destroying thc, then they should smoke in the dark or in some way, never have ur cured weed be exposed to light ever! I would think that they could not have there stash open to the kitchen light! the response would be: "i left my weed lay on the kitchen table over night with the light on; my weed is not as good now today as it was yesterday.
My purpose is to try and limit light during drying..After that I keep my jarred weed in a dark cool closet, and only take out enough to smoke in a day or two..Each to their own..;)

A

ABM

I was simply looking at it in a scientific way. The small amount of THC decay from Bad light sources is so my newt that it's not to worry of unless you were trying to destroy it and had those kind of Lights

Enforcer

Enforcer

The degradation is cumulative over time. Leaving your stash out on the counter overnight, is not as bad as a 10 day dry under light. Then having your jars exposed to light will degrade THC over time. You are free to do what you like. But it is a well understood fact that UV light degrades THC.

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/factors-influencing-cannabis-degradation

A

ABM

A

ABM

The degradation is cumulative over time. Leaving your stash out on the counter overnight, is not as bad as a 10 day dry under light. Then having your jars exposed to light will degrade THC over time. You are free to do what you like. But it is a well understood fact that UV light degrades THC.

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/factors-influencing-cannabis-degradation
What's left of the plant that's been clipped we'll try to live on in absorb absorb whatever's left in the stem might as well get rid of it and let it do it itself rather than artificially dry that water out

A

ABM

I'm aware of that even in a closet and there might be a small crack UV could get in. But the plant itself what is cut off is still living and it will live for as much light as it can get
As well as moisture. Till There is no more moisture in the stem vein turn the light off. Truthfully I don't think it makes that big of a deal one way or the other. I just figured to let the plant absorb as much moisture on its own and try to live as long as it can under those drying circumstances. Hope you understand what I'm saying here.

Enforcer

Enforcer

What's left of the plant that's been clipped we'll try to live on in absorb absorb whatever's left in the stem might as well get rid of it and let it do it itself rather than artificially dry that water out
I think your premise is flawed. When you cut the branches off the plant, they rapidly looses osmotic pressure. This causes a loss of turgidity and the thinner branches get soft and floppy. With no osmotic pressure, the plant can’t move nutrients and sugars around and chlorophyll starts to brake down. We want all these things to happen when we dry our smoke. But they are all detrimental to the branch “living” for any significant length of time after it’s cut from the plant.

Last edited:
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I really don’t see what the big deal is.

Sure if I had the extra space and a way to control its odor then I’d do it that way as well.

Imo with drying there’s some wiggle room. Curing is another subject altogether.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Yeah that's true I get that. I've been growing for 49 years I seem to get any worse from 20 to 24% with some of my plants as far as THC goes the way I do it and I've never had mold but one time in 79.
You must be as old (or older) than I am..LMAO
G'night
Damn

Top Bottom