Light During Drying?

• Thread starter ABM
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

ABM

Well I’m drying some in light and same amount in dark as I normally do. I’ll taste em after cure to let y’all know what I find.
It is all about the cure imo
When I do, I hang my colas will light source at the bottom I wrap it all with wax paper. I have a air purifier that blows air through lately and exhaust fan on the other end the pull it out. I have one fluorescent light bulb at the bottom the buds are inverted so the lights at the bottom and about 2 feet away maybe. And I do that till the outside is dry then it don't matter anymore because the plants past 20% as far as alive or dead.

A

ABM

When I do, I hang my colas will light source at the bottom I wrap it all with wax paper. I have a air purifier that blows air through lately and exhaust fan on the other end the pull it out. I have one fluorescent light bulb at the bottom the buds are inverted so the lights at the bottom and about 2 feet away maybe. And I do that till the outside is dry then it don't matter anymore because the plants past 20% as far as alive or dead.
There 80% dead 20% left in the plant that's hanging or colas that I'm hanging

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
There 80% dead 20% left in the plant that's hanging or colas that I'm hanging
I guess if the goal is to get rid of that chlorophyll it would be better if the natural process via light exposure would be faster? Most weed around the world is basically dried outside with natural light . And most don’t even cure like we do here, yes some of that crap tastes like hay but I’ve had some real good stuff before .
I’ve always cut and hung in the same room with lights on at least 2 days then go dark once they wilt and have had some incredible weed.
In our grow we cut and hang indoors in a dedicated room that has lights that are uv filtered. And all air circulating in through a hvac system with hepa and uv light. Very clean and then we have dehumidifier systems to control the moisture . Once dry, about 9-13 days, low and slow. No mold, we buck, trim then cure.

A

ABM

I guess if the goal is to get rid of that chlorophyll it would be better if the natural process via light exposure would be faster? Most weed around the world is basically dried outside with natural light . And most don’t even cure like we do here, yes some of that crap tastes like hay but I’ve had some real good stuff before .
I’ve always cut and hung in the same room with lights on at least 2 days then go dark once they wilt and have had some incredible weed.
In our grow we cut and hang indoors in a dedicated room that has lights that are uv filtered. And all air circulating in through a hvac system with hepa and uv light. Very clean and then we have dehumidifier systems to control the moisture . Once dry, about 9-13 days, low and slow. No mold, we buck, trim then cure.
That's what I'm talking about! Excelente!

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I guess I am confused..Of late I have been giving my plants 48hrs of dark prior to the chop (my grow is small scale and only for me)..I see no difference in Trichs and THC increases of course, but it appears that the "cure" begins earlier than usual as the green has already begun to disappear ..Thoughts??

A

ABM

I guess I am confused..Of late I have been giving my plants 48hrs of dark prior to the chop (my grow is small scale and only for me)..I see no difference in Trichs and THC increases of course, but it appears that the "cure" begins earlier than usual as the green has already begun to disappear ..Thoughts??
Darkness before Harvest I've heard of and done I don't think that's is necessary as sunlight up to the last point before Harvest. And then of course what I was saying about a little light at the bottom the colas are hanging upside down for a few days it can die almost natural only with artificial lights 2 it has nothing left in it stem and main stalk to grow. I grow outdoors.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Darkness before Harvest I've heard of and done I don't think that's is necessary as sunlight up to the last point before Harvest. And then of course what I was saying about a little light at the bottom the colas are hanging upside down for a few days it can die almost natural only with artificial lights 2 it has nothing left in it stem and main stalk to grow. I grow outdoors.
I only mentioned that since I THINK it begins the curing process during the dark period before I harvest..
It definitely speeds up the ripening process imo.

A

ABM

I only mentioned that since I THINK it begins the curing process during the dark period before I harvest..
It definitely speeds up the ripening process imo.
I agree 100% what you're saying I misunderstood it first. When I look at the trichomes and they're cloudy it's Harvest Time then by men I've already flushed in the cold is a ready to be cut. When they're cut I hang them on a string upside down what a light source on the bottom facing the cola tops. For a few days they dry like that too they wither. Then the lights are not necessary

A

ABM

I agree 100% what you're saying I misunderstood it first. When I look at the trichomes and they're cloudy it's Harvest Time then by men I've already flushed in the cold is a ready to be cut. When they're cut I hang them on a string upside down what a light source on the bottom facing the cola tops. For a few days they dry like that too they wither. Then the lights are not necessary
Also, if you got a plant you got a big nug on the top it's like 3 in wide and 4 in tall that takes a while to dry and longer to cure

Enforcer

Enforcer

You could do the exact same process without the light and achieve the same results.

A

ABM

Also, if you got a plant you got a big nug on the top it's like 3 in wide and 4 in tall that takes a while to dry and longer to cure
I've been putting a book together so my way of doing things will be all put into that book or I should say pamphlet. Although it'll be about 40 pages.

J

Jibsman

Saw a thread from 2011; asked of light being good or bad when drying.
My take on this issue is, if u r cutting and hanging colas and u flushed proper, all that's left in the plant is water, which is what u r trying to get rid of in the first place while they're hanging.
If the colas are hanging under a (low heat or no heat) light source, that light will ensure a drying time where the plant colas will be still living for as long as it can off of what moisture that's left in its main stem of each cola. Just because u cut off the cola from the plant, does not mean the cola is dead! i't still alive till there is nothing left for it to survive on. It may be dying but it doesn't know that;it doesn't have a brain,it just goes on and lives till it can't!

So theory is, the light should help the plant live a little on what's left of moisture in it use it up, and then start dying. I feel this also may help ease into the curing process easier, as the colas have used up all left in it that's been cut and hung to dry. But after a week or a few days more, the dry should continue without the light, because there's no need for light anymore, it is past the 20% living or to say, its moisture content is so low there is nothing left to support life in it. I don't feel that hanging should be done under grow lights though. just a florescent light will do what's needed.
Anyone who has any words or thoughts of this please enter your own on this subject! It will be good to hear what others growers may have to say on this subject.
Where do I read about “flushing “?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Can help you out, the theory of dark before chop is some claim that when the plants aren't eating /photosynthesing that most of the nutrients are back down in the lower portion and roots of the plants. The theory goes that if the plant is asleep when you chop all of the nutes are in the rootball and is supposed to lend to a better overall taste. Sort of a reverse flush if you will.

I'm not sold on it but thats the way the urban pot stories go. :D I have tried it both ways and cant tell any difference in taste or smoothness of the erb.

Last edited:
Toaster79

Toaster79

Can help you out, the theory of dark before chop is some claim that when the plants aren't eating /photosynthesing that most of the nutrients are back down in the lower portion and roots of the plants. The theory goes that if the plant is asleep when you chop all of the nutes are in the rootball and is supposed to lend to a better overall taste. Sort of a reverse flush if you will.

I'm not sold on it but thats the way the urban pot stories go. :D I have tied it both ways and cant tell any difference in taste or smoothness of the erb.

I thought plant pushes sugars in the root ball over night and feeds the beneficials in the ground that produce the food for the next day. What good would it be if plant pushed those nutrients back in the dirt and the next morning pulling it back up? I see it more logical that the plant starts pulling up the roots what it needs during day and gives sweeties away over night. Not arguing here, just brainstorming.

Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

Wouldnt this take time away from the drying process? I was always told the longer the dry and cure process the better the bud

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I thought plant pushes sugars in the root ball over night and feeds the beneficials in the ground that produce the food for the next day. What good would it be if plant pushed those nutrients back in the dirt and the next morning pulling it back up? I see it more logical that the plant starts pulling up the roots what it needs during day and gives sweeties away over night. Not arguing here, just brainstorming.
Like I said toasty. I don't subscribe, just another pot urban myth. Sort of like in the early days farmers used to think if you hung your plants upside down it increased the potency. :cool:

Latest posts

Top Bottom