Light Leak.. Help.

• Thread starter getgoodgenes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

getgoodgenes

so a regular light was left on outside of tent for 2 hrs after lights out gorilla tent was zipped and all but unsure how much light got through if any did should I worry?

N

Nog

Plants don't need complete dark to flower; ever been out in the woods on a moonlit night?

It can get quite bright out there at night, especially if you are in an area where there are no tall trees, just small bushes or open country.

There is an old internet cannabis myth that light leaks cause plants to hermie.
Bullshit, light leaks don't cause hermies.

I haven't had a hermie for many years, they are not common unless one is growing bagseed, which may have come from a hermie plant anyway.

I read a lot on internet forums about people getting hermies, I sometimes wonder if they are just new growers who when a plant turns out to be male they think it's a hermie.

I have just grown my first two feminized plants, they were freebies, as I don't by feminized plants, and while feminized plants have a reputation for being hermies these one's were not hermies, just like normal regular female plants.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Plants don't need complete dark to flower; ever been out in the woods on a moonlit night?

It can get quite bright out there at night, especially if you are in an area where there are no tall trees, just small bushes or open country.

I haven't had a hermie for many years, they are not common unless one is growing bagseed, which may have come from a hermie plant anyway.

I read a lot on internet forums about people getting hermies, I sometimes wonder if they are just new growers who when a plant turns out to be male they think it's a hermie.

I have just grown my first two feminized plants, they were freebies, as I don't by feminized plants, and while feminized plants have a reputation for being hermies these one's were not hermies, just like normal regular female plants.
Its true to a point... i have grown plants by street lights and such but the main situation i hear people have is when they put a power strip in the tent and the power strip has a little light on it... they DO have problems hahaha

N

Nog

Its true to a point... i have grown plants by street lights and such but the main situation i hear people have is when they put a power strip in the tent and the power strip has a little light on it... they DO have problems hahaha

Nah, I do worse stuff than that, and never had a hermie.

To be honest I'm surprised at this constant talk of hermies, in my experience they are extremely rare.

I wonder if newbies are mistaking the calyxes of female plants for male flowers.

The last time I remember getting hermies, this was over 10 years ago, I bought Amstell Gold from Dutch Passion through Heavens Stairway.

One female and the rest hermies.

I think Heavens Stairway must have been selling rip offs, as I doubt a reputable company like Dutch Passion would sell hermies.

ken dog

ken dog

To check for light leaks, you can always wait until dark, put the light on in your tent and close the tent up... If you see any light coming out of the tent, then you know.

N

Nog

To check for light leaks, you can always wait until dark, put the light on in your tent and close the tent up... If you see any light coming out of the tent, then you know.

Ever been out in the woods at night?
Believe me it can get quite bright out there at night.

And yet plants flower, and don't hermie under those conditions.

Listen to what I say, light leaks don't matter unless they are enough to make your grow tent or room like daylight.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Nah, I do worse stuff than that, and never had a hermie.

To be honest I'm surprised at this constant talk of hermies, in my experience they are extremely rare.

I wonder if newbies are mistaking the calyxes of female plants for male flowers.

The last time I remember getting hermies, this was over 10 years ago, I bought Amstell Gold from Dutch Passion through Heavens Stairway.

One female and the rest hermies.

I think Heavens Stairway must have been selling rip offs, as I doubt a reputable company like Dutch Passion would sell hermies.
Well some of them might not have great genetics to start with and some might be stressing out the plant with noob mistakes ...but i know of many that have had problems with things as simple as a power strip.

Bannacis

Bannacis

The light from the moon has no (hermie) effect on plants or any effect that has to do with Flowering problems.
Its the type of light that hits a flowering plant during its night time over an extending period of time, that causes hermies or plant confusion so to speak. and led power light is one and an extremely bright very small beam of white light from a pin hole is enough. When we see the pin hole with our eyes... its one whole. But the whole side of plant (sees)or is covered with a pin hole of light, its not a lazer its Omni directional. So if there is more than one pin hole. And the tent is basically light tight and black. except for pin holes... Well those holes will seem huge to the plant.
I had a plant outside, a street light hit part of the plant. that side did not flower correctly as did the other side of plant.
A lot of peeps make mistakes and can only guess as to why it hermied...?
Plus a lot of Not so reputable breeders and funky hybrid crosses that are not stable and get spread through out the grow community is responsible for hermies.
And then there's those strains that either genetically capable of dealing with light leaks or mistakes or,
there's the ones that have been bread and rebread and breaded and rebreaded to a point that they thrive in that environment.

B

brimck325

i grew in front of a video billboard, no herms what so ever. i always go in my room with a t-8 on during dark period to water n other care....like 4-5 times a week, no herms......................it's genetic folks, stop listening to subfools lies to cover up horrible breeding practices.

Homesteader

Homesteader

THC production will lessen when not given complete darkness during night cycle on a regular basis. Best to avoid all light leaks when possible. Having said that, I think 2 hours of indirect light for one day will do nothing.

T

TJ666

I left my tent open by accident when my 600w led was on and fell asleep. I have 6400 k coil style fluorescent Sunblaster over my house plants, on a timer. I work shift work so I keep my apartment dark, blackout curtains etc. The Sunblaster is hung from the ceiling about 2 - 3 feet from the front of my tent. When I woke up my plants in the tent had been exposed to some light (not sure how much, but more than a little), approx 1 to 1.5 hrs from the Sunblaster. The tent door was unzipped all the way but still partially covering my plants. 3 people I asked said I was doomed & to wait a week or 2 to see if they turned hermie. Will exposure to this kind of light for over an hour cause hermies? The reason I ask is its not just a lamp, its a small but powerful flourescent grow light. Help?

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

I left my tent open by accident when my 600w led was on and fell asleep. I have 6400 k coil style fluorescent Sunblaster over my house plants, on a timer. I work shift work so I keep my apartment dark, blackout curtains etc. The Sunblaster is hung from the ceiling about 2 - 3 feet from the front of my tent. When I woke up my plants in the tent had been exposed to some light (not sure how much, but more than a little), approx 1 to 1.5 hrs from the Sunblaster. The tent door was unzipped all the way but still partially covering my plants. 3 people I asked said I was doomed & to wait a week or 2 to see if they turned hermie. Will exposure to this kind of light for over an hour cause hermies? The reason I ask is its not just a lamp, its a small but powerful flourescent grow light. Help?
If it just happened once, you should be ok

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The answer is always maybe. Some plants are not sensitive and some are.

And any other stress they are dealing with can add up.

The plant has evolved to reverse if it thinks it wont be polinated. We grow sensimilla. Without seeds. Its not natural for the plant.

Top Bottom