Light Setup For 140"x136" Area.

• Thread starter Medigrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Medigrow

Medigrow

Hey all!

I am planning a medical growing and I'm kinda confused about the light setup I should go.

As for the available grow space, I have a surface of 140 inches by 136 inches. Ceiling of 100" (8ft4in) I want to build 2 RDWC of 60 inches by 120/130 inches

A 18k btu A/C will be installed. I wanted to follow the heisenbubble DIY RDWC (Thanks again for wonderful videos! Can't go wrong with that tutorial!

I was wondering what would be the best lights setup? I wanted to go with 4x 1000 watts DE but the guy at the store told me that my ceiling is too low for those lamps and that with a 18k btu A/C, there will not be enough cooling... I want to go scrog, so 13 inches is where the plant is started (bucket height)... I wanted to put the screen at around 16-17" over the 13 inches.. It brings me to 30" before flipping... I guess plants will grow between 50 and 65 inches (i know it depends on the strain but well...)

100 inches - 8 inches (PL lighting are 7" high) so 1 inch to secure it.. Highest point is 92" inches... A total space of 62 inches between the 30" and the 92"... Would it be enough distance for 1K DE?

Am I better using x 600 watts de? or maybe mix hps and cmh?

PS, I want to achieve the best yield possible, if I can go with one or 2 harvest each year and avoid summer season, that would be great!

All suggestions welcome!

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Id be prepared to have the DE lights 36-40 inches from the canopy. Id prepare for 40in to be sure.

Probably don't have enough height to do a DE justice, and get 5 foot tall plants. 65 inch tall plants, and 40 inches from the canopy is already over the 8 feet four inch limit. at 95 inches

All of the DE have high amounts of IR, and need to be further away vs a SE lamp like a Hortilux HPS.

4 x 1000w Hortilux HPS bulbs, which is what I consider the best SE bulb there is, would blast 2 x 4 x 8 tables at 24 inches from canopy. Its also possible to even get a bit closer.

I believe generally it takes at least 8000btu to properly cool each 1000w SE light, and not run the AC Unit to death.. More for a DE. Id say up to 15% more.

Medigrow

Medigrow

Id be prepared to have the DE lights 36-40 inches from the canopy. Id prepare for 40in to be sure.
[...]
I believe generally it takes at least 8000btu to properly cool each 1000w SE light, and not run the AC Unit to death.. More for a DE. Id say up to 15% more.

Is the 600 watts DE has to be at the same distance from the canopy?

PS, the AC unit has a 10 year warranty ah ah :D

Last edited:
Medigrow

Medigrow

I'm wondering, since I go scrog, if I could go lower than 16-18" for the net... I can put up to 32-34 plants for each 60x130 inches... so maximum 2 weeks of veg.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Is the 600 watts DE has to be at the same distance from the canopy?

PS, the AC unit has a 10 year warranty ah ah :D

Ive seen some people say they run the 600 DE closer than 36 inches, but Gavita doesn't recommend it. I use 2 Gativa 1000w, tried to run it lower than 36 inches, and they showed light stress in 2 days, and have also use the 1000w Hortilux for over 20 years.

I wouldn't bank on it working lower vs 36 inches. It might, but its guessing on my part, and guessing leads to disaster IMHO. If in doubt. Don't. And just because.. THEY SAY?? Id not go with that.

Top Bottom