Lighting And Room Design!

• Thread starter Lukeypoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hawkman

@hawkman I didnt realise you could get cfls that big. Ive used a 250w veg bulb and 300w dual spec bulbs in previous grows. I cant knock them really, but definitely had better results myself with two 315w cmd's I found my old 2ft t5 veg panel that I'll probably hook up in the clones cab, just run one bulb in it.
I'm sure you got great results - but foe me the bigger one's worked well with 100 watt side-lighting - the cheaper the better- keep post bro

H

hawkman

Cree is popular!
I have Cree, Vero and Citizens plus a closet full of various shitty leds.
I haven't done a straight up comparison and took down notes, numbers and stuff but I'm leaning to the citizens as to what ones I would buy again
what about Galaxyhydro 300 for beginers - KInd LED - good ? don't they rank up there with CREE,COB, GH-13

brazel

brazel

what about Galaxyhydro 300 for beginers - KInd LED - good ? don't they rank up there with CREE,COB, GH-13
I'm not really understanding why people say for beginners when they suggest subpar LED lights!? Being that their a beginner you'd think they wouldn't wanna learn using subpar equipment.

It's like going to Harvard or going to Donald Trump online University.
They both work to some what but one can give you what you want and that is to learn... or at least I hope so!

If that's all the budget allows for the get it, but I think we should drop the beginner part. This is not aimed towards you, lots say for beginner.

That being said no I wouldn't buy those, unless that's all my budget allows and at that point I'd buy whatever LED is the cheapest cause the shit is the shit.

And it ain't like I didn't fall into the same category, I bought at least ten shitty LED before I started researching LED.
I only say what I say to help you, not to put you down or discourage you!
I didn't have anyone do this for me, everyone I talked to hyped the fvck out of the subpar shit.

Build your own is the best option.
Its so easy, man I heard a caveman lit his cave up COB style
Cheers

brazel

brazel

Kind is one the worse! With those prices! You can build a better light way cheaper than there $1000+ lights
And have a pocket full of cash left over for blow and hookers

L

Lukeypoo

@brazel this was kinda my thinking, I've always liked the idea of leds when I was growing with cmd. And given the expense of building the shed I was going to use Marshydros (looks similar style to galaxyhyrdo) in both veg and flower as they were affordable, and from what Ive found people say they're good for the money. But then I thought about it and really I'm going to use them for a cycle or two before I upgrade out of these budget/beginner lights. The resale on a second hand unit isn't going to be much, but the new unit I buy (if I was to buy a built one) is going to be around 3x the cost of the first ones..
One of the main appeals of the cobs is the ability to chop and change parts of your lighting without buying or replacing a whole new unit. Also I'll be able to build a light to my specs, rather then have a manufacturer tell me it's a 800w light and then finding the actual power draw is lass then half.
I don't mean to slag off any led panel manufacturers or the people that use them, if galaxyhydro is anything like Marshydros there's plenty of grow dairy with people with good results!

L

Lukeypoo

@The Dawg yoo sorry I completely missed your post till someone quoted it

Can I have a little more info on your set up? What efficiency your getting to power draw. Have a you for a gpw at all?
Cheers bruh

brazel

brazel

@brazel this was kinda my thinking, I've always liked the idea of leds when I was growing with cmd. And given the expense of building the shed I was going to use Marshydros (looks similar style to galaxyhyrdo) in both veg and flower as they were affordable, and from what Ive found people say they're good for the money. But then I thought about it and really I'm going to use them for a cycle or two before I upgrade out of these budget/beginner lights. The resale on a second hand unit isn't going to be much, but the new unit I buy (if I was to buy a built one) is going to be around 3x the cost of the first ones..
One of the main appeals of the cobs is the ability to chop and change parts of your lighting without buying or replacing a whole new unit. Also I'll be able to build a light to my specs, rather then have a manufacturer tell me it's a 800w light and then finding the actual power draw is lass then half.
I don't mean to slag off any led panel manufacturers or the people that use them, if galaxyhydro is anything like Marshydros there's plenty of grow dairy with people with good results!
What defines a good grow? The journals you read probably look good but are they good. Of course their gonna say it's bomb and if it's bomb then imagine how better it will be with better light! And grown no till living organic soil.
The lights lack proper spectrum and quality although they do produce and the herb appears to be bomb but it's not. I've grown with mars, apache tech, area 51, area 51 COB, Cree diy, citizen timber and a couple others I don't recall the name. If they produced like the citizen, Cree, apache tech or Vero I would of never bought three out of the four, I would've bought one COB light to test but if I noticed the others were better I would've bought them and spent what I saved on hookers and blow!

I gave a lot of my old LEDs away but i still have some... If you want these two you can have them just pay shipping
20171126 164044

The Dawg

The Dawg

@The Dawg yoo sorry I completely missed your post till someone quoted it

Can I have a little more info on your set up? What efficiency your getting to power draw. Have a you for a gpw at all?
Cheers bruh
Brother I'm Not Into Efficiency As I'm Not One Of Those That Buy Into The Over all Efficiency Of The Cob Lamp. Case In Point In My 30x30x85 Tent I Ran 300 Watts Of Area-51 SGS's And When I Change Over To 250 Watt's Cobs I Had To Ditch my 4x12 Phresh Filter And My S&P 5 Inch For A 6x24 And A 6 Inch Max Fan To Extract The Heat Of Cob My Lamp On Full Power. So IMHO What Efficiency That Is Gained By The Cob Is Lost Due To The Increase HVAC Cost. Oh And I Still Average About 1.2 Grams Per Grow With Both. Just My 0.02

Also When The Crees Fan Boyz Were Running Their Cobs @700 mA @ 25 Watts A Piece. I Was Running My Beloved Vero Angles @ 2.1 mA @ 85 Watts A Piece. Now Look Where Everyone Is Heading. Just Some More Of My 0.02 :party1:

Krypto

Krypto

off topic: one of our 1k hps' reflector doesn't do much but hold a TON of fn HEAT! I took it off... In a 4x4 tent are there any up sides to hanging just the bulb vert style ???
i kinda hope so.

The Dawg

The Dawg

off topic: one of our 1k hps' reflector doesn't do much but hold a TON of fn HEAT! I took it off... In a 4x4 tent are there any up sides to hanging just the bulb vert style ???
i kinda hope so.
Yes But Its Alot More Work Plus You Have To Use A Bulb Rated For Vertical Growing :smoking:

Krypto

Krypto

Yes But Its Alot More Work Plus You Have To Use A Bulb Rated For Vertical Growing :smoking:
ahhh...got it. Damn, I'm glad you told me that when you did. Cuz I had it hanging...then I thought i Better ask around . Lol!!!
Well, its still horizontal...gonna have to get a tube. Thanks bro.

L

Lukeypoo

Yoo, been putting every available hour into the grow room build at the mo ;L
@brazel that's hella kind my bro but I don't think Id use them, still unsure wether I'm going to run some big cfls or a 4ft t5 panel for veg. And for flower it's now between the veros29 and citizen.. Im still kinda leaning towards the rapidled vero29 4x4 kit, just as a convenience thing. Going to try and make some time over the weekend to source an identical kit for the citizen cobs and maybe even the vero kit to see the price difference
@The Dawg when I first read your reply I was kinda dissapointed when you said about the hvac costs and heat :L but then thinking about it, yours was a comparison in like blurple led panels to cob right? My last two grows we're done with cmh so I'm right in thinking ima produce less with cobs? My last grows were in a 1x1x2 tent with 630w of cmh, required my 6" ruck to run 3/4 on during lights on.. Soo aslong as we run cooler then that I'll be pleased

L

Lukeypoo

@Krypto you could always hang it back horizontal then have a fan underneath blowing air across your light to try and shift some of the air? What reflector are you currently using?

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

I'd put a tent in or box just for veg. Then use the front/side/rear space for a flowering area.

Doesn't matter how it turns out, as long as u can fit 4-10 big 5 gal buckets or cloth pots n have them in a baby pool or something like that to catch drainage.

Then just have some tiny for clones.

I'd have 5/10% of space for clones, 20/25 veg n 50% for flower

Leaving 15/20% for tools, fans, small table, drying rack, etc.

Krypto

Krypto

I'd put a tent in or box just for veg. Then use the front/side/rear space for a flowering area.

Doesn't matter how it turns out, as long as u can fit 4-10 big 5 gal buckets or cloth pots n have them in a baby pool or something like that to catch drainage.

Then just have some tiny for clones.

I'd have 5/10% of space for clones, 20/25 veg n 50% for flower

Leaving 15/20% for tools, fans, small table, drying rack, etc.
Sounds like you're working in a tight space my man. But making a use of the space that's for damn sure. I have two 4 x 4 tense for flowering and I'm going to buy two more tents for Christmas for the mothers and one for veg because I prefer to veg the plants out in 5 to 7 gallon buckets for at least 6 weeks. Anytime I veg less than that I meant I end up being disappointed in the yield. That's one of the things I've learned that I think is an area that I've always cut Corners at and that is veg time. Once I get the other tents I'm going to dedicate 8 weeks to vegging. And then instead of having to deal with 9 to 12 plants flowering I'll only have to do about 6 and get the same amount of harvest. Dude I handle man you down with the the CBD strains too? the only reason I ask is because right now we've got Harley Sue from Southern Humboldt and I'm really hoping to get a high percentage of CBD to THC but these things are a bitch to grow they're very picky. Anyway thanks for the reply man I'll look into the optimizing space like that. Have a good day have a good weekend. And have a Merry Christmas man or Hanukkah or Kwanzaa:-)

The Dawg

The Dawg

[USER=59445 said:
@The Dawg[/USER] when I first read your reply I was kinda dissapointed when you said about the hvac costs and heat :L but then thinking about it, yours was a comparison in like blurple led panels to cob right? My last two grows we're done with cmh so I'm right in thinking ima produce less with cobs? My last grows were in a 1x1x2 tent with 630w of cmh, required my 6" ruck to run 3/4 on during lights on.. Soo aslong as we run cooler then that I'll be pleased

1st I Despise The Word Burple. Everyone Use's It To Describe Panel Leds Which Is Totally Wrong And Their Are A Handful Of Panels That Run Just As Efficient As Cobs. Burple Is Actually Use To Describe The Red And Blue Panel Which Are Great If Your Growing Micro Greens. However The R/B Panel Will Flower But Not Very Well The Bud Density Will Lack Using This Spectrum Alone.

Yes I Was Talking About Going From 2 150 Watt Panels To 1 250 Watt Cob Lamp. I Was Also thinking About Your Efficiency Question And Here's My Suggestion For A 250 Watt Panel I'd Go (4) Citizen 1812 Ran On A HLG-240H-C1050B This Driver Is Capable of Adding A Potentiometer For Dimming. Now If This Is A Dedicated Lamp You Could Run The A Version Of The Same Driver With The Pot On The Inside Of The Driver And You Will get 285 Watts Out Of Your 240. If You want 400 Watts Of Bad Azz Power You Could Go With(4) Of The 72 Volt Vero 29's Split Between 2 HLG-185H-C1400B :party1:

Krypto

Krypto

@Krypto you could always hang it back horizontal then have a fan underneath blowing air across your light to try and shift some of the air? What reflector are you currently using?
One of our 1000w HPS through sheets and I had to use an Amazon special LOL. Just the wing type reflector butt, right now I'm just hanging it horizontally to the bracket that the reflector was on and it seems to be doing okay. We got nine big girls in tent number one that are coming out next week I'm just going to shift everything over at that time.
For Christmas I'm getting a couple of new tents I'm looking at some LEDs for vegging and for the mothers. Got any suggestions I'm trying to keep it as cheap as I can until after the first of the year. At which time I'll take this reflectorless 1000 HPS and I think I'm going to try out the Dual 630 CMH

Krypto

Krypto

The wife wants to go with LEDs exclusively as soon as possible but I keep trying to explain to her that the technology just isn't quite there yet for my taste. I know the kind Excel 1000s and 750s are badass I've seen it first hand. My mentor has a room full of them. And his stuff is beautiful. However he dropped several thousand dollars on lights for flowering. And I don't think they do a whole lot better than an Amazon special 1000 watt HPS.

L

Lukeypoo

@CBDfutute4 were you advising me? How would you set it out in a 6x10 shed? Naa I've not really delved in to cbd strains, I think critical kush is the highest cbd strain I've run
I'm planning on running some 10 week strains, soo after the first run each monster cropped clone is going to get a 10ish week veg time

@The Dawg lol sorry man! Ive only recently discovered the word

@Krypto the weed I grew with 630w's of cmh (two 315w units) was dank. I guess it was the added uv to the spectrum? You can do the whole cycle with them and they don't get as hot a single 600w hps, still hotter then led though. If cmh is the end goal I'd personally wait and just invest in them, then some mediocre leds to only replace them in the near future or vice versa if the boss wants led ;) chances are a few years time the led panel will come down in price. The whole reason I'm going to cob route is coz thars what the lady of the house wants..

L

Lukeypoo

@The Dawg I intended to run up to 12 cobs for purely flowering, as I mentioned them diy kits the ones I was looking at was for a 4x4 space and included 12 either cxb3590s or vero29s (both top bin) and draw 600w's at the plug.. Where might I find the 72w veros?? My flower cab is going to be 5x2
Is yours a dedicated light or for both? I'm unsure wether to go for 3000k or 3500k

Top Bottom