Lighting Question Moving From 24 Hour Days To 12, Not Flowering

• Thread starter eldio
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

eldio

So i have a question to see if anyone has given this a go before, i remember reading about a guy doing in 18 hour days years ago but cant seem to find much about it now

so here goes, in a room why do we run 24 hour days (be it 24/0 or 20/4 or 18/6 then flowering on 12/12) what would happen if i started seeds off with say a 12 hour day thinking 10 on 2 off then flower under 6/6

I remember reading about a guy running 18 hour days, pretty sure he was going 16 on 2 off then to flower he was running 9/9 then dropping back to 8 on 10 off, from memory his yields were down a little over a normal 24 hour cycle but running 18 hours every 3 real world days is 4 artificial days in the tent, so if you flower in 56 days normally you could in theory flower in 42 real world days which is still 56 artificial 18 hour days in the tent.

does anyone have any experience in this or any ideas on how to find something (or can even make sense of what im saying), every search i do comes up with light cycles but its all still based of a 24 hour day

super interested to see what people have to say, and to see how many tell me im an idiot lol

Enforcer

Enforcer

I would guess that 18/6 veg and 12/12 flower is the simplest way to go about it. Which is why most of us do it that way, and there’s not that much info out there on your suggestion.

E

eldio

I figured its because we just think of a day as 24 hours, i dont think a plant has that much concept of time, if its started under a 16/2 cycle i dont think the plant would realize the difference, I will report back because eventually im going to try and see what happens

Enforcer

Enforcer

I figured its because we just think of a day as 24 hours, i dont think a plant has that much concept of time, if its started under a 16/2 cycle i dont think the plant would realize the difference, I will report back because eventually im going to try and see what happens
I’m interested in your findings. But I’m sure if I tried it, I’d muck up the timing somehow and cause a reveg. LOL

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Have yet to grow first MJ but I would guess if you went 6/6 it would not flower. Suggesting the plants run off day/night cycles and not 24hr period I see your point but IMO i don't think plants even count days. I think plants just carry out certain functions based on certain triggers. My thought process is you need to find the ideal ratio of dark to light as each is responsible for different processes necessary for optimum growth at different stages and would probably want to keep them at a ratio that provides the best outputs for our goals and the plants needs. I think your going to hinder growth if you start changing light dark periods more often than necessary as your causing it to start/stop processes more often and would assume it would less efficient.

Just my thoughts and could very well be wrong.

Top Bottom