Living Organics

• Thread starter SteadyDoesIt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
firstcitizen

firstcitizen

First Citizen
Supporter
Until recently, used agroperlite in every soil mix I were making. The perlite gave me very good results, but why did I stop it then? (he is poor, but I appreciated him for his other properties)
Perlite can cause cancer, silicosis or bad lung disease. The perlite powder is so fine that it enters even the cells of the plant and fills them / concretes .....
For this I ask you, please if you use a perlite to put a mask. Also when you pour the bag step away for 1 minute to reduce the perlite powder in the air.(dust)
For that, I use my last perlite and I will not buy anymore perlite.

Good luck :)

Homesteader

Homesteader

Rice hull provides good aeration for one or two grows and is less dusty. It also is 85% silica and breaks down into a plant available form. I think your mix looks good though.
I use a base mix of equal parts peat/coco/rice hull/forest litter and found it to be very good.

stiffneck

stiffneck

Last year I started to get loads of Mulch delivered to our house for free. Tree trimmers always have mulch and they have a sign up list for delivery. Last load was eucalyptus.... haha... my 15 year old son has come to dread the Mulch delivery. It must be moved from the driveway to the back 1/4 acre.... I have an area covered about 1-2 feet deep in the back. The stuff on the bottom is dark rich black mulch. I spread that on top of my beds and also use this mulch in my soil mix for vegging plants... there is also nice mycelium fungus that comes with the mulch.... :)

SteadyDoesIt

SteadyDoesIt

Rice hull provides good aeration for one or two grows and is less dusty. It also is 85% silica and breaks down into a plant available form. I think your mix looks good though.
I use a base mix of equal parts peat/coco/rice hull/forest litter and found it to be very good.
Does it matter what type of rice hulls ?

Nice good to see someone with coco/peat experience in using both.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Does it matter what type of rice hulls ?

Nice good to see someone with coco/peat experience in using both.
I buy organic hulls from Riceland which are parboiled to ensure no liveable seed
http://www.riceland.com/pages/rice-hull-products/
If you don't care whether it is organic though and maybe not parboiled, you can get conventionally grown hulls for about $15 vs the $40 if you are in the right area.

Underthesun

Underthesun

What do you guys suggest after two years of an outdoor living soil grow in raised beds that utilized rice hulls and perlite. Should I till in more aeration or just let it roll? It is kicking major ass this year.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Until recently, used agroperlite in every soil mix I were making. The perlite gave me very good results, but why did I stop it then? (he is poor, but I appreciated him for his other properties)
Perlite can cause cancer, silicosis or bad lung disease. The perlite powder is so fine that it enters even the cells of the plant and fills them / concretes .....
For this I ask you, please if you use a perlite to put a mask. Also when you pour the bag step away for 1 minute to reduce the perlite powder in the air.(dust)
For that, I use my last perlite and I will not buy anymore perlite.

Good luck :)

Thank you for the heads up.

SteadyDoesIt

SteadyDoesIt

Decided to go with a ratio of 1:1 coco peat , go from 2 gallons to 5 gallons and finally flowering in 10 gal, next year I plan to set up two indoor beds and run TLO in there. Can’t forget the worms!

Top Bottom