looking 4 answers - coconut coir & organic soil

• Thread starter NePaGrowers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NePaGrowers

NePaGrowers

I posted this on a thread that was posted awhile ago and I don't think I'm gonna get any answers. So here's my dilemma ... my roommate bought coconut coir advanced grow medium made by sunshine, I want to know if anyone used this before and how were the results. Also if you used nutes, what kind did you use. I want to know if I would be better off using organic soil because regardless I'm starting a compost pile anyway. I'm sure I'll be switching mediums trying different things with different crops. I just want some answers so my cute isn't so cloudy. I've been researching my ass off on this site and haven't found the answers I'm looking for, so I decided to create this post. Thanks in advance guys. 8)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Both will work just fine. I've never used that brand but like using coir for indoor cultivation. Outdoors it's not feasible, far too expensive, so I use organic soil. Better really depends on the grower as much as anything else, in my opinion.

NePaGrowers

NePaGrowers

Hey thanks a lot. Quick question: can I use it for seedlings and can I treat it like regular soil (I.e.watering and adding nutrients?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

coco has next to no available macro nutes if rinsed properly so youll need a solid base

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey thanks a lot. Quick question: can I use it for seedlings and can I treat it like regular soil (I.e.watering and adding nutrients?
I've never used coir for starting seedlings. I would ensure it's well charged with Ca and Mg, light vegging solution (as organic as possible in my world), and be ready with very light nutrients should the seedlings show deficiencies. I always start my seeds in soil, and they usually only need water until around the time they're sexing.

jkbeing

jkbeing

When starting seeds in coco, give light feedings from the start. I like to use less coco then I did soil, and more transplants. Best thing about coco is how easy it is to flush.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
For me the best thing about coco is its explosive growth rates. I've never been able to achieve those kinds of rates in soil unless it's outdoors.

sixstring

sixstring

How often should pure coco be watered/fed, and at what ppm?
as far as feed strength,depends how old the plants are.coco hould be kept moist,water till runoff and feel the weight of your pots.then you can lift them to see if they are ready for more water.some guys will set up timers on coco and flood them 2,3,5,8 times a day.when i ran it i just watered once a day to light runoff,sometimes no run off but kept em moist.plants were fine.i used 300-400ppm for seedlings,500-600 for larger veg,and about 850-900ppm max during flower.seen guys use higher,seen guys use lower.read some coco threads here if ya need more info.or you can wait here for 15 different replies and methods haha.i like reading the journals and using the better looking pics as my guide on who to believe :cool:

Top Bottom