LOST FOREVER OR ALMOST GONE GENETICS

• Thread starter soserthc1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Ok, so I have been thinking about this topic a bit recently. I feel like the seed market is flooded with OG and Chem crosses and a lot of the older genetics and flavor profiles are disappearing at a faster rate than when this thread started. While I do enjoy a good OG it is not the only thing I want to smoke.

One line that has pretty much disappeared is the Skunk line. I can remember back in the 90’s when the market was flooded with Skunk, in fact Skunk just simply became slang for decent herb. Today there is almost no Skunk on the market, with the exception of Cheese and even that has started to fade from the market. What I miss about skink is the high variation in flavors; there were the roadkill skunks, the fruity skunks and the the skunks that have a flavor all to themselves much like Cheese.

What I don’t understand is why so few breeders work with Skunk stock these days. I get that everyone wants OG flavors and breeders use it because that is what sells, but why narrow the gene pool and available flavors on the market. I do love OG both for the great medicine it is and the flavor but sometimes I want something different. Skunk always seems to offer something different. Why can’t we get back to the days of high variety?

Sorry for the diatribe but it’s been on my mind lately.

Capitalism in full display. Simply supply and demand. New growers drool over the pics they see on Leafly, high times, skunk magazines and have to get them to fulfill their dreams.

How many friggin GSC and GG crosses do we need? Apparently a bajillion. I’ve largely stayed away from recent genetics with the exception of Cookies n Cream by Exotic Genetix. I just don’t trust the quality of today’s breeding. Most of my seeds are from the strains I knew best from the late 90s to early 2000s. The ones I’ve grown and come to love and when grown the right way will compete with anything I’ve seen produced lately. But that’s me.

The older strains are out there they’ve just been bastardized. But if you look hard enough you can still find gems. But that job is much harder now with so many similar strain names and one offs. But we need to preserve these genetics the best we can and show new growers and stoners that we’ve had it right all along. And that’s what I intend to do ;-)

Don’t get me wrong. Great strains do exist and not everyone is in it just to make money. But it’s getting harder and harder to find the gems these days amongst a sea of mediocrity.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Capitalism in full display. Simply supply and demand. New growers drool over the pics they see on Leafly, high times, skunk magazines and have to get them to fulfill their dreams.

How many friggin GSC and GG crosses do we need? Apparently a bajillion. I’ve largely stayed away from recent genetics with the exception of Cookies n Cream by Exotic Genetix. I just don’t trust the quality of today’s breeding. Most of my seeds are from the strains I knew best from the late 90s to early 2000s. The ones I’ve grown and come to love and when grown the right way will compete with anything I’ve seen produced lately. But that’s me.

The older strains are out there they’ve just been bastardized. But if you look hard enough you can still find gems. But that job is much harder now with so many similar strain names and one offs. But we need to preserve these genetics the best we can and show new growers and stoners that we’ve had it right all along. And that’s what I intend to do ;-)

Don’t get me wrong. Great strains do exist and not everyone is in it just to make money. But it’s getting harder and harder to find the gems these days amongst a sea of mediocrity.

I'd sure love to find some Royal Dane. Read a lot about it but never seen any for sale. I can see in my Royal Nepal Kush that is genetics are strong when I compare their pictures. It's why I've struggled so hard to continue propagation of the RNK.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

In many ways this is exactly my complaint. I get that there is high demand for OG and Chem varieties but if the growers used other varieties and produced great herb the people would demand whatever new flavors hit the market. But this still doesn’t entirely excuse or explain why breeders have abandoned old stock or haven’t looked for new landrace varieties to work with. At the moment so many of them are just producing a different version of the same thing the last breeder put out.

As for some of the older, proven varieties the genetics that have been around since the 80’s and 90’s, they are not the same as they used to be. It is tough to keep any stock for 2 or 3 decades, so the question is what parents are making the seeds we are seeing today? I can only assume that we are getting seeds from generations much further along than the original parents, or it is from different stock; regardless I tend to doubt we are getting the herb we remember from “back in the day”. Though this doesn’t mean we are getting an inferior product. In many ways I would rather have a something close to the original older strains than no access to them at all. It still gives the option of those flavors and effects we all love.

Last edited:
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
There are still some “back in the day” strains available. Xmas Bud and Pre-98 Bubba comes to mind. Skunk #1 is still available and Durban poison is still kicking.

eastcoastjoe

eastcoastjoe

The market is the ultimate decider. You can’t blame breeders for only supplying what people want to buy. You have to realize that most cannabis connoisseurs like you and I, make up a very small percentage of the market.

The average day to day user who doesn’t grow doesn’t care about genetics , strain preservation etc. they care about a few things ,what’s popular now, how does it look, how does it taste. That’s what is selling right now.

Then you have to consider the other part. Look at all the snakes in this industry. Why would a breeder release pure stock to everyone when people will take it and capitalize on it ? Most collectors who hold old lines, do it for love. No way do they want to see these things sold. There mostly preserved to prevent extinction and passed among like minded friends.

There’s more and more people starting to make hybrids now with old school genetics. I just wouldn’t count on seeing pure lines for sale

In many ways this is exactly my complaint. I get that there is high demand for OG and Chem varieties but if the growers used other varieties and produced great herb the people would demand whatever new flavors hit the market. But this still doesn’t entirely excuse or explain why breeders have abandoned old stock or haven’t looked for new landrace varieties to work with. At the moment so many of them are just producing a different version of the same thing the last breeder put out.

As for some of the older, proven varieties the genetics that have been around since the 80’s and 90’s, they are not the same as they used to be. It is tough to keep any stock for 2 or 3 decades, so the question is what parents are making the seeds we are seeing today? I can only assume that we are getting seeds from generations much further along than the original parents, or it is from different stock; regardless I tend to doubt we are getting the herb we remember from “back in the day”. Though this doesn’t mean we are getting an inferior product. In many ways I would rather have a something close to the original older strains than no access to them at all. It still gives the option of those flavors and effects we all love.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
The market is the ultimate decider. You can’t blame breeders for only supplying what people want to buy. You have to realize that most cannabis connoisseurs like you and I, make up a very small percentage of the market.

The average day to day user who doesn’t grow doesn’t care about genetics , strain preservation etc. they care about a few things ,what’s popular now, how does it look, how does it taste. That’s what is selling right now.

Then you have to consider the other part. Look at all the snakes in this industry. Why would a breeder release pure stock to everyone when people will take it and capitalize on it ? Most collectors who hold old lines, do it for love. No way do they want to see these things sold. There mostly preserved to prevent extinction and passed among like minded friends.

There’s more and more people starting to make hybrids now with old school genetics. I just wouldn’t count on seeing pure lines for sale

True. Most new folks are just wanting something to put in their pipe and the market is full of stuff that claims to be bigger and badder than the next. It’s just the nature of the beast. But all is not lost, just well hidden from plain sight.

eastcoastjoe

eastcoastjoe

True. Most new folks are just wanting something to put in their pipe and the market is full of stuff that claims to be bigger and badder than the next. It’s just the nature of the beast. But all is not lost, just well hidden from plain sight.

All is definitely not lost ! There are still some of us left who do it for passion and save the old stuff.

These days I think there are two kinds of “breeders”. You have those catering to the market and then you have preservationists. There’s no money in being a preservationist.

I have quite a few old pure lines and the last thing I would ever do is sell them so the people in this for the wrong reason can profit and control.

chillywilly

chillywilly

Greetings,I'm gonna do my own...Federation Seeds Mikado, mauna Kea sativa, peshaPes Afghan sativa, KC Brains Leda Uno, Classics pure Hawaiian indica, uh... Columbian and uhthats it for me, other than the hybrid DJ Short Blue Heaven,Blue Velvet,...Flying Dutchmens Twister that made the first 'j'ack herrer'...close...
Blessings
cw

chillywilly

chillywilly

What's up guy?? Trying to do this for the community
..Master Gardener, Extension Agent DC
Blessings
cw

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
The other thing about all the OG,GSC,GG4 ect crosses to think about is access to the genetics. Some of us have been around the scene for quite a few years now. Lots of friendships over the years when we were all facing felonies. Pre instaham and all that. Old school hopping on a plane to go hang and meet. The newer people can't exactly roll into clone stores/disp or hit up their younger/newer friends in the scene and grab old cuts. I know I don't pass the old stuff out. It's not an elites thing by any means. It's more of the work over the years that had to be put in and held on to. Trying the keep the special stuff special. Not giving short cuts to the people in the scene for 6 months and are all of a sudden starting a seed company. Put in the work. Stop chasing the inflated THC% # tests. Also finding like minded individuals. If you think GSC is good you def aren't a like minded individual lol. Not to mention the seed hoarding most of us have done over the years.

The one thing I have loved recently is popping some of the packs from back in the day that all the forum drama was surrounding. Hate or no hate there is some hidden gems from people who I wouldn't even shake their hands nowadays. Ironic isn't it? It's nostalgic when you open up the vault and find old Joey packs from CW in the coin collector cardboard cases with a little rice and piece of plastic tubing holding the seeds in the middle. The feels.

There’s no money in being a preservationist.

So very true. I have always tried my hardest to throw a little money and show love at dudes taking this path. Usually they are doing it for nothing but the passion. Want to make sure those guys stay around.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter

Here,here!!
Always looking for old school strains. ‘70-‘80 and early ‘90s.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
The other thing about all the OG,GSC,GG4 ect crosses to think about is access to the genetics. Some of us have been around the scene for quite a few years now. Lots of friendships over the years when we were all facing felonies. Pre instaham and all that. Old school hopping on a plane to go hang and meet. The newer people can't exactly roll into clone stores/disp or hit up their younger/newer friends in the scene and grab old cuts. I know I don't pass the old stuff out. It's not an elites thing by any means. It's more of the work over the years that had to be put in and held on to. Trying the keep the special stuff special. Not giving short cuts to the people in the scene for 6 months and are all of a sudden starting a seed company. Put in the work. Stop chasing the inflated THC% # tests. Also finding like minded individuals. If you think GSC is good you def aren't a like minded individual lol. Not to mention the seed hoarding most of us have done over the years.

The one thing I have loved recently is popping some of the packs from back in the day that all the forum drama was surrounding. Hate or no hate there is some hidden gems from people who I wouldn't even shake their hands nowadays. Ironic isn't it? It's nostalgic when you open up the vault and find old Joey packs from CW in the coin collector cardboard cases with a little rice and piece of plastic tubing holding the seeds in the middle. The feels.

So very true. I have always tried my hardest to throw a little money and show love at dudes taking this path. Usually they are doing it for nothing but the passion. Want to make sure those guys stay around.

Some of us have had to rebuild our seed collections due to unfortunate circumstances. I had well over 60 strains collected over a period of 10-15 years and then one day you’re starting over with a single pack of seeds. It’s not a good feeling and you always regret what you’ve lost. Dozens of half packs and sifting through garbage phenos to find something decent only to have it all disappear by means beyond your control.

I’ve been there. It sucks. But it happens to the best of us and could happen to any of us at anytime.

Hell I’ve lost strains by just shit luck and clones that don’t root. They are mistakes we all learn along the journey.

There will always be scammers. There will always be fly by night pollen chuckers. There will always be those who take shortcuts. But we don’t have to hoard genetics. At least I don’t plan on it. But that’s me. If someone takes my work and profits from it then so be it. DJ Short has the right to be livid but he’s not. He just goes about his life and we all know who the real genius is when it comes to derivatives of his work.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Everyone wants something new, and the OGs and others are a sign of the times. There is still a vibrant collection of skunks out there...most ly grown by old school hippies who don't get online much...from what I can tell. I think the skunks are mostly privately held and not big sellers to the seed guys. The old school hippies I was referring to don't tend to dabble much in new stuff...most have grown the same thing for the last few centuries, or at least decades.
I have begun to pass my knowledge and experience to my kids,who I let fumble around for their 1st 25 years trying to grow under CFL lights and stuff. The 1st time they saw my system, they almost shit themselves.
Soon I'm gonna post a pic of one of my 30+ yr old strains (I was unbelievably lucky to get a couple of 30_ year old seeds to pop) next to a Trainwreck or a Grand Daddy Purple clone. The look as similar as an apple tree and a corn plant. Yhese new strains are so different it isn't funny anymore. Like everything today...puffed out lips, giant boobs, butt implants...do normal people still exist?

Last edited:
Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey

Premium Member
Supporter
Everyone wants something new, and the OGs and others are a sign of the times. There is still a vibrant collection of skunks out there...most ly grown by old school hippies who don't get online much...from what I can tell. I think the skunks are mostly privately held and not big sellers to the seed guys. The old school hippies I was referring to don't tend to dabble much in new stuff...most have grown the same thing for the last few centuries, or at least decades.

Ah......the real Jedi Masters.

EC05BEFE DEE0 4A19 A2B6 51EE8A9AA982

G gnome

G gnome

What ur saying makes no sense. U dont pass out the old stuff because u preserved it...? The best way to preserve it is by passing it out. The morre ppl that have it the more likely it is to exist

Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey

Premium Member
Supporter
Just wanna throw myself out there. If we passing out beans,

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
What ur saying makes no sense. U dont pass out the old stuff because u preserved it...? The best way to preserve it is by passing it out. The morre ppl that have it the more likely it is to exist

I think he’s more worried about someone else profiting from it. That’s understandable but to use the argument for preservation just doesn’t make sense. I’m with you 100%.

G gnome

G gnome

I like to think i got a pretty damn good stable. Shit ranging from 25or 30+ year old cuts to flavor of the nonth. And tho i do love the old school shit theres usually a reason these hype strain exist. Im rarely disappointed w elite cuts. Some ppl call it hype....i call it notoriety.

Top Bottom