LOST FOREVER OR ALMOST GONE GENETICS

• Thread starter soserthc1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
When i give ppl clones i dont tell em what they can and cant do w it. I like seeing ppl grow good weed. Let em do whatever they want w it.

Exactly. If I let it go then I knew the possible consequences. And really I don’t care personally. I mean tossing some pollen doesn’t make me a genius or even a competent pollen chucker. I just helped Mother Nature out a little bit. Feels good giving back to a plant that has given to us countless times.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I like to think i got a pretty damn good stable. Shit ranging from 25or 30+ year old cuts to flavor of the nonth. And tho i do love the old school shit theres usually a reason these hype strain exist. Im rarely disappointed w elite cuts. Some ppl call it hype....i call it notoriety.

Oh for sure there’s a reason it’s popular. It melted someone’s face off and they couldn’t shut up about it, haha.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I think he’s more worried about someone else profiting from it. That’s understandable but to use the argument for preservation just doesn’t make sense. I’m with you 100%.

I think that, what he is saying, (and it helps to have lived thru the changing 60s-2000s), is that he wants people to put effort and pride into their grows, and to learn the basics and ins/outs of the system...instead of being spoon fed and given the answers to the test. I'm teaching my kids my trade. They would MUCH prefer for Daddy-O to mix the dirt, pop the beans, lug the water, change the bulbs, feed the plants, cut them down, dry them out and hand them over so they can say they helped!:cool: Instead, everything was done together and they were gonna get hands dirty if they were gonna play in the party.
I am moved to tears that my kids are mature enough to be learning this, all while attending med school or having degrees. They aren't young kids and if they want to learn how I did it, then they have to follow my saggy butt around for a while longer. BUT...at the end, long after I'm gone, my kids will know how to do this well and smartly and will be able to carry on my legacy if they choose...all I can do is provide choices.
Christ, I sound worse than my old man. Anyhow, I think he just wanted folks to enjoy the culture and social pleasures of this type of operation, not just the money or potency part of it. ...At least that's my take on it...I've been wrong before...

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I think that, what he is saying, (and it helps to have lived thru the changing 60s-2000s), is that he wants people to put effort and pride into their grows, and to learn the basics and ins/outs of the system...instead of being spoon fed and given the answers to the test. I'm teaching my kids my trade. They would MUCH prefer for Daddy-O to mix the dirt, pop the beans, lug the water, change the bulbs, feed the plants, cut them down, dry them out and hand them over so they can say they helped!:cool: Instead, everything was done together and they were gonna get hands dirty if they were gonna play in the party.
I am moved to tears that my kids are mature enough to be learning this, all while attending med school or having degrees. They aren't young kids and if they want to learn how I did it, then they have to follow my saggy butt around for a while longer. BUT...at the end, long after I'm gone, my kids will know how to do this well and smartly and will be able to carry on my legacy if they choose...all I can do is provide choices.
Christ, I sound worse than my old man. Anyhow, I think he just wanted folks to enjoy the culture and social pleasures of this type of operation, not just the money or potency part of it. ...At least that's my take on it...I've been wrong before...

Ok so how would one go about replicating those old school genetics? Not trying to be a smartass or anything even though I’ve been called worse. Ha. But to preserve those one would need to spread them around in hopes that they catch on and make a resurgence. I could be wrong.

Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey

Premium Member
Supporter
Both ways preserve lines. One only for a few the other preserves for the many. Not all have access to those old school lines, but I know a lot of new school growers who would love to have those old lines. Getting harder to find quality ppl deserving those lines in my opinion. Ppl are just full of shit in general.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Both ways preserve lines. One only for a few the other preserves for the many. Not all have access to those old school lines, but I know a lot of new school growers who would love to have those old lines. Getting harder to find quality ppl deserving those lines in my opinion. Ppl are just full of shit in general.

Exactly. I mean why bring it up if you’re not gonna share with the class? Really.

G gnome

G gnome

Theres good ppl everywhere

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Ok so how would one go about replicating those old school genetics? Not trying to be a smartass or anything even though I’ve been called worse. Ha. But to preserve those one would need to spread them around in hopes that they catch on and make a resurgence. I could be wrong.

You are correct in your thinking, I was just commenting on his wishes for people to try to learn as much as possible instead of taking the easiest way possible. It's like cheating on a test in school...you get a decent grade on the test but you really haven't learned anything. With that being said...yes...you DO need to get the strain out there. That's the only way that it will spread throughout the community. The dark side of the equation is what has already happened to the original strains...they have been changed so much by breeders that nobody knows what is what anymore. If a breeder would actively perpetuate and grow the strain, making it available again, that would be fine.
I'm experimenting on making some feminized seeds from my old strain plants...they are almost as good as clones of the original. If I get enough, I'll make them available to anyone that wants them...if not, I already have two of my oldest strains cloned, so they could possibly be available as well. I'll try to post some pics if I remember. Most wouldn't be suitable for small areas as they get pretty big. The 2 currently cloned is a Matanuska Thunder@@ck and one I called the blood plant...it was pretty skunky and might be a cross with the Matanuska. I had a hell of a time keeping them below 7 ft, despite tying, bending, and every other method. They are just VERY large and lanky. They are really impressive if grown properly outdoors...14 ft easily.

Last edited:
eastcoastjoe

eastcoastjoe

When i give ppl clones i dont tell em what they can and cant do w it. I like seeing ppl grow good weed. Let em do whatever they want w it.

I can definitely relate, I feel the same way. That’s one thing I really do hate , when people give clones with all these crazy restrictions LOL. I’m not saying I like to give all my stuff away to anyone who asks but I do like to share my stuff with my friends, I’ve never been the hoarding type. Usually i just say no if someone offers me something with a bunch of rules like that.

G gnome

G gnome

I can definitely relate, I feel the same way. That’s one thing I really do hate , when people give clones with all these crazy restrictions LOL. I’m not saying I like to give all my stuff away to anyone who asks but I do like to share my stuff with my friends, I’ve never been the hoarding type. Usually i just say no if someone offers me something with a bunch of rules like that.
Yes exactly. Im not just giving shit out left n right....but when i do give someone something its theirs to do with what they see fit

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Here are some old genetics at work.The "Boney" looking one is the Matanuska Thunderf##k 30 year old bean at 4 weeks since 12/12, along with a closeup. The ic with the 3 colas is the "Blood" plant, which is also 30+ yrs old strain started via a popped bean. The Matanuska plants are very lanky and do great outdoors...indoors they are a beast to wrangle and aren't prolific producers. They grow like a Christmas tree outdoors reaching 14 ft or more and wide as well. They take a long time to mature since they tend to grow large before producing many bud sites, with most buds developing on the side branches.
The "Blood" plant was either another variety from decades ago or a 1st gen cross from the Matanuska...but I'm pretty sure it was a different and unknown strain, since most didn't have names like currently. The blood plant got it's name from when we were first working with this stuff and I cut my finger. I added my blood as an offering to the plant gods, and the descendant's from the plant, which had 2 or 3 self fertilized seeds that I've managed to get a few beans from every generation.
The reason I posted these is to show the big differences that you see compared to most of the current genetics. The current offerings are compact, dense, and studded with crystals that were unseen in the early days. From the ones shown here, they have been tweaked, changed, re-tweaked, crossbred and everything else to create something akin to a current NFL lineman's weight compared to 60s NFL players. Freaky
...Pardon the shitty quality of the photos, and the "finger" in the photo was purely accidental!! :cool:. The Mata's have stretched too high, causing leaf curling...they are unruly, like bad/good kids...

Mana far
Blood plant
Mayanuska
Last edited:
Top Bottom