Lowering Coco Ph

• Thread starter MW7945
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
guymandude

guymandude

Tbh I didn't even flush the coco. There was no point, the runoff came out at 15 ppm. I know it was buffered to 6.8, but it getting as high as it did was my fault. Rookie mistake never testing runoff or anything. Seems to be staying where I want it now.
we all make these mistake. just do a little product research before diving in next time. live learn move on. I've had to give plants 5.5 nutes before to combat high substrate ph too. it does work but don't over do it.

Right on!
Yeah testing runoff is just part of growing in Coco, IMO.
i think so too. No it's not the most accurate, but it'll still give you a great idea on what has built up in the coco during the grow.

guymandude

guymandude

You know thats closet grower mentality.
You know why this started? From people letting the medium dry to much and the salt residue is left behind.

um, i have never grown in a closet, thank you very much. Hats off to those that do though. It can't be easy.

In rinsing GH and Botanicare coco, in my experience, i get an average of 400-900 ppms of something in the run off using RO water (and no it's not my filters, I run the big hydrologic evolution with a DI post filter and test it regularly). there's nothing in my water but Hydrogen and Oxygen.. When I grow in this coco, un-rinsed, i get much more calcium deficiencies and other deficiencies, (mg and K come to mind) than when i run in Canna or Sanctuary un-rinsed.Why not just use the stuff that will save you all that trouble of rinsing and letting it dry out. MY RO filters are damn expensive and I won't waste them rinsing substandard substrate

I learned a long time ago to work smarter, not harder. It's pretty much a no brainer.

whitepistols

whitepistols

Are you aware where coco comes from? How its harvested and packaged?

If you are then you know, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

guymandude

guymandude

they all come from the same place, dude. It's in how each separate brand dictates how the coco is treated for that particular brand. Canna rinses with zero ppm in the run off. So does Sanctuary. GH and Botanicare will rinse with 400-900 ppm of salt, etc. yes it's all the same, but at the same time, it isn't

GH also has very long hairs in it and I've found solid chunks of coconut shell in it too. Whereas Canna is very uniform in how it's ground

Neter Sentra

Neter Sentra

There is a fantastic thread here on the boards with side by side tests of all the big name enzymatic products. I see zero difference with or without them honestly.

The key to keeping coco from locking up is consistent moisture to maintain consistent c.e.c. Bagged canna coco or most bagged coir in general tends to be steamed/ washed better than bricked coir. It makes a bit of difference.

MW7945

MW7945

I never rinsed my coco when I transplanted I think this why I'm have these problems newbie mistake so next time I feed just keep on pour feed in in till ph of what I put in is what comes out ??

Nah. 6.5 isn't the end of the world. Could always feed at like 5.5 until it comes down a little.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

I use Mother Earth Coco (straight) right out of the bag. No rinsing. No problems. Ever.
IMO it is the best but any will work fine

Keep your coco saturated. Feeding daily AT LEAST is a must.

Runoff pH is a waste of time unless you have a real problem and need all info available to save a harvest. Even then I would do a slurry test to try to get an accurate ph reading

Feed with every watering and water to runoff every time and there is no need for a flush (except harvest).

A weekly tea is great

Do NOT let it dry out.

Feed at YOUR max EC whatever that is and stay there. Same every time.
Same same same.

Don't chase problems. If it's a balanced diet and the environment is dialed in and the ph going in is correct and you feed to runoff every time and you don't let your coco dry out and you don't have any problems. Lol. Simple as that.

You DO NOT need to supplement cal mag in Coco.
Read justicemans root tutorial.

These are my experiences and opinions

Last edited:
newh

newh

I never let my coco dry and it never gets just plain water till the last 10 days to 2 weeks.I not positive but I think any coco that says buffered on the package has been rinsed with calcium carbonate.I watch my runoff ppms more then the ph to see how much they eat,some plants are real hungry at times.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

I never let my coco dry and it never gets just plain water till the last 10 days to 2 weeks.I not positive but I think any coco that says buffered on the package has been rinsed with calcium carbonate.I watch my runoff ppms more then the ph to see how much they eat,some plants are real hungry at times.
Ya all Coco is buffered with with it to break the K bond and fill the cations with calcium.

Hence why j don't understand why so many people think you need to supplement cal or mag with coco. Lol.
To each his own I guess.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

I didn't think of it till it was to late I really didn't have the room man plus i got it free its my first time im learning every day i think it looks healthy i water mine every 3 to 4 days
That's all you can do is learn brotha.
Personally would water at least every day but like you say you're learning and what works for you is what you should do.

If you're doing it that way I would do a flush (low EC not straight ro) every 2 weeks or so maybe double pot size to high runoff to clear out build up salts. I bet it will build up feeding thag spread out
And be careful if it drys out the next time youbwater it will release a very concentrated very high ec solution to the roots from all the dried up salts re activating.
Daily watering to 15%run off and no flush necessary

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

That's all you can do is learn brotha.
Personally would water at least every day but like you say you're learning and what works for you is what you should do.

If you're doing it that way I would do a flush (low EC not straight ro) every 2 weeks or so maybe double pot size to high runoff to clear out build up salts. I bet it will build up feeding thag spread out
And be careful if it drys out the next time youbwater it will release a very concentrated very high ec solution to the roots from all the dried up salts re activating.
Daily watering to 15%run off and no flush necessary
Not saying you can't do it that way just watch closely for salt build up

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

How will I notice salt build up so next time I feed just flush it out with feed I have been told you can't over water coco as I did with soil I had root rot but lesson learned I salvaged them I'm waiting on ec tester coming how will I work it out my tap water sits at 8.5 when I put feed into bucket it comes to 5.8 I rarely have to ph it
That's awesome try to keep it at 5.8. Try to water daily if possible but whatever you do don't let t dry out.
You can't over water Coco because it hold oxygen so well. The more you feed the more oxygen gets pulled down and the healthier the roots.

Get the ec tester and a ppm tester. If you have salt build up your runoff ppm will be way higher than you're goo in ppm. (Ppm is just a conversion of ec. Parts per million of dissolved solids (salts))
Runoff will always be slightly higher but if it's a lot flush it down with a half strength bite mix until runoff is acceptable.
Make sure you're ph going in s correct and don't worry about runoff ph and make sure you are consistent with your feed and you'll be amazed what Coco can do!

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Right I'm need watering I'm going to flush plants give them there daily dose of feed as I have never don't flush I say it's over due I'm going going to test this watering everyday will the leaves not get droopy from over watering my leaves our droopy but when soil sets out half of crops leaves face up to light as should
Overwatering isn't how much water you give at a feeding. It's more how long the media is saturated without oxygen. That's why you can't over water Coco. It holds so much oxygen.
In soil or other media if you leave it soggy for a long time it loses all oxygen and the roots drown. So you need dry cycle. Coco is opposite. Every time you water it pulls oxygen into roots and holds it so well you never want to dry out

Latest posts

Top Bottom