Lowering Soil Ph

• Thread starter newgarden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

newgarden

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm fairly new to this. I've been struggling with my soil pH, and lowering my water pH before watering/feeding has not been having any effect. Shouldn't adjusting the water pH help, or am I missing something?

The past few waterings/feedings I have adjusted to around 4.0-4.4, but no matter what I do the soil pH stays around 8.0. In the past when I adjusted to around 6.3, the soil was also in the 7.5-8.0 range. What am I missing?

I've been troubleshooting several different problems with my plants for the past 2-3 weeks, and I'm wondering if everything is just out of whack because of the pH...

soil: Fox Farms Ocean Forest
nutrients: Cutting Edge Solutions
pH down: General Hydroponics

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

get some aluminum sulphate from home depot, or a nursery. Water it in with a couple table spoons of molasses in the water. The sulphate, which lowers the pH, is aided in release by bacteria, which are stimulated by the molasses' sugar.

I used about 1/8 cup to the gallon of soil.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Mollases works wonders!! Fox farm soil is usually hot. I amend it with more perlite and coco before I use it and I always do half and half from older soil from past grow. But what nutes are you usinging will also tell us maybe you have fed it too much? And those salts are not washing or flushing out.

Leew421

Leew421

I recommend using a better soil. Something like royal gold kings mix. The added amendments help. If in soil you should never be adding ph or down. That negates the soils skills. The soil should be adjusting ph for you. I havent used that shit in almost 2 years. In fact, I dokt even use my meter anymore. I use the ppm meter the most. You will chase your tail and cause lots of damage pouring that stuff in the soil.

kenny28

kenny28

I never ph soil tbh I once read ages ago ya dont really need to ph soil so I never did n had no problems ever maybe luck idk

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I never ph soil tbh I once read ages ago ya dont really need to ph soil so I never did n had no problems ever maybe luck idk
Sorry, that's just ignorant. Soil can be at a bad pH quite easily. I had to adjust Happy Frog soil down this season, it was at 7.4. I had to adjust some composted soil up, it was at 5.5. Just because you have been lucky doesn't mean that others will also.

Leew421

Leew421

Fox farms had issues for me. Mostly related to storage of where it came from. Royal Gold has been a great company. I mix the tupur and kings mix for a good ratio that adds more coco to cut the peat moss. Using molasses and mag and calcium can all effect ph

kenny28

kenny28

I wasnt stating it as advice I simply said I dont ph soil.. n I read it ages ago I still a nubee myself so I dont feel im up there yet to give out advice..

Top Bottom