LST Made EASY!!!

• Thread starter Producer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Was this thread helpful?

• No - This guy has no F@$#'n clue what he's talking about.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
P

Producer

LST Made Easy!

Hey guys!
Im going to do a quick update on how I LST my plants.
I know a few of my farmer friends on here were both curious and a little nervous as to how exactly the whole thing works, so I thought i'd make a small tutorial. Its pretty simple.

I know there are a few other threads out there with a litttle more complicated and different ways of doing LST. But to me, I like to keep things simple, and if you just take a look at the pictures you'll see that you can't argue with the results.

I originally had this posted in my diary but i've since then gotten a few PM's still asking how its done by people who are joining everyday I thought i'd make it available in this forum.

Welcome to LST made easy.

To begin, Im going to quote the section on "training" from Chapter 11 of Greg Green's "The Cannabis Grow Bible (4th Edition)".

"Training is done by simply attaching a piece of thread to the
stem and bending the plant over. The thread is then locked down to
either another part of the stem or a piece of the growroom frame.
People have managed to grow all kinds of shaped plants using this
method - from cork screw shapes to complete full circles. Some
growers even like to grow their plants horizontally across during the
vegetative stage of growth. During the flowering cycle the light is
moved above the plant to encourage thicker bud growth along the
main stem. Sometimes this method does not work so well, but when it
does the overall bud production can be excellent.
If during your training a stem should break simply hold it in
place again using a stake/stick support and bind it with cheesecloth or
a cloth bandagewrap with pours. Applying honey to the wound also
has its benefits. If you rub honey into the wound the plant should be
able to heal itself a bit quicker. Watch out for any new growth at the
break area and try to trim these away should any be produced because
they will try to break away the upper part of the stem, effectively
TOPPING your plant."

You can typically start at a pretty young age. You dont want the stem being too thick and hard to bend. Judge at your own discretion. If your stems a little bigger bend slowly day by day.

So with that basic summary im going to show the difference between plants that were not LST'd versus plants that were.

The plants on the left were just grown naturally without any LST.
The plants on the right have all been LST'd.

Lst made easy
Lst made easy 2

Notice the difference!? In the picture on the left the plants are tall and thin. The picture on the right on the other hand, there is giant canopy's on all of them. Keeping in mind the plants on the right were also quite a bit younger in age. The ones on the left were already flowering.

All you have to do to get started is use a piece of thread or string to tie your plant down to one side. Whatever works for you.
I personally use Pipe Cleaners!
You know the ones you used when you were a kid for Arts & Crafts!?
Ya! Those ones! You can get a pack of 200 at Wal-Mart for like 3$.
Pipe cleaner 1 1jpg
Pipe cleaner 1 2jpg

After you bend your main stem over to one side it should
look something like this.

(lights were off during this pic. Hence why it looks sad)
Lst made easy 5

After your initial bend you have a few options, you can choose to only bend it once and let it grow. (Topping also works great along side LST'ing)
Your results will look something like this.
Lst made easy 6
Lst made easy 7

Lst made easy 8
Lst made easy 9

The pictures were taken 23 days apart from the first bend.
Notice how all the smaller side stems that used to be along side the main one have now grown themselves just as tall as the main stem. Amazing.

Now you wouldn't have to wait 23 days if you wanted to do a 4 way bend.
I only wanted to demonstrate what the plant would look like had we only bent it once. But like I mentionned above, we have another option. After about 10-15 days or so, you should have significant growth from the time of your first bend. Little side shoots will have started to get more light and grow stronger and bigger upwards towards the source. Which will in turn create more stems. But now that we have a few other stems, if we want to get a little more creative we can do a 4 way bend and bend those as well.
You results will look like this!
Lst made easy 10
Lst made easy 11

Once again after 23 days your results for the 4 way bend should look something like this!
Lst made easy 12
Lst made easy 13

Lst made easy 14
Lst made easy 15

In conclusion! As you can see there is a pretty massive and bushy canopy with allot of main stems now which will result in more colas and more bud sites!!
You always want to keep trimming your bottom leaves and smaller branches which might not be receiving as much light. (Yellowing leaves are an indicator)
This ensures that leaves and branches which will never reach the top anyways wont take up as much nutrients and energy from the rest of the plant. Never remove all the branches. Cannabis plants need at least 50% of the leaves to continue growing without fatal stunting problems. If you go less than 50% you may end up killing them.

Hope this was helpful!!

Grow safe and keep em green!!
-Producer

G

GrimloxK

pipe cleaners...why didnt I think of that. Good post OP.

P

Producer

pipe cleaners...why didnt I think of that. Good post OP.

Haha! Ya I know eh!? I dont even remember how I thought of it.
I knew what I wanted but I couldn't remember what they were called.
I searched forever in WalMart until I found them! And they're so cheap too.
Thanks for popping in bro.

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

I'm doing LST this time around. I've never truly attempted to, just used to top. The difference in growth is quite amazing. I'm using sewing needles and thread to hold down the branching, I'm using fabric bags too so I just stick the needle into the side of the fabric pot and twist the needle which tightens the string as the plant gets more trained. Easy sneezy

P

Producer

I'm doing LST this time around. I've never truly attempted to, just used to top. The difference in growth is quite amazing. I'm using sewing needles and thread to hold down the branching, I'm using fabric bags too so I just stick the needle into the side of the fabric pot and twist the needle which tightens the string as the plant gets more trained. Easy sneezy

Glad you can join us OctoberDee!
And ya you're right, the difference in growth is amazing!
And if you start them at a young age it shouldnt be hard at all to train them.
They should just bend right over. I usually do it when they're about 5-6inches tall. That way the stems not too thick.

catdaddy

catdaddy

just wanted to know how did you tie them down with the pipe cleaner.

P

Producer

just wanted to know how did you tie them down with the pipe cleaner.

Hey buddy!
I guess people need more instruction for how to tie the plant off to the pot.
So here's a series of pictures that should help.
Some plastic pots might come with holes already on the sides.
Like the first two pictures shown here.
IMG017
IMG014

You may have to pierce a whole through the plastic pot to tie one end of the pipe cleaner too. If you have a ceramic pot you might have to drill through it.
IMG018

Then feed the pipe cleaner through the hole and make a little knot at the end as demonstrated by the picture. You can now use the other end to wrap around the plant to tie it down with. (Dont wrap too tightly around the stem, we dont want to strangle our plant.)
IMG019

End result should look like this. Just wrap your pipe cleaner around your stem and pull it down slowly. The pipe cleaners are strong enough to hold the stem in place until it starts to grow that way and take shape.

IMG010
IMG015
catdaddy

catdaddy

another thing i want to start feeding at a 1/4 strength which is 1ml but when i look at the measuring cup it only says 500ml on down. i take it that the 1ml is actually 100ml or do they sell cups specifically for these nutes?

P

Producer

Haha! I meant my grow diary. I wanted you to post it in that one.
Not the LST thread. We'll keep this one about Low Stress Training.

S

shado

Nice thread bro, great for first timers like me or ppl looking to try Lst for the first time.
Hoping to try a 4 way lst with a scrog for me next run which i should be starting in few weeks.

P

Producer

Cool Shado! I look forward to seeing how that goes bro!
Keep em green and happy!!

R

Rach70

Great guide! Thanks for posting :)

I'm running 2 of each strain this grow, and decided to LST one of each, and FIM the heck out of the other and see which is best. I flipped my lights last night, so time will tell :)

I will say, I got some really cool shaped Snoops Dream and Plushberry right now :D

P

Producer

Great guide! Thanks for posting :)

I'm running 2 of each strain this grow, and decided to LST one of each, and FIM the heck out of the other and see which is best. I flipped my lights last night, so time will tell :)

I will say, I got some really cool shaped Snoops Dream and Plushberry right now :D

Hey Rach! I noticed you on another thread as well.
Welcome to the site! Were glad to have you!
Glad to see you're well on your way to growing also!
Keep me posted on your progress!
Look forward to seeing how your plants turn out :)

G

GrimloxK

Just wanted to add these in here, I gotta say these are better than the string I was using on my first grow.

Please don't mind the deficient leaves. I always have one or two in every grow lol

IMG 6658
IMG 6659
P

Producer

Haha! Good job GrimloxK! I turned someone else onto my pipe cleaner ways!
WOOT WOOT! And they're more fun than string because you can a wide variety of colour. hehe.

J

JonathonStrange

thank you as always P. great thread tons of info good job my friend. you might even have talked me into it on my next round :scared0016:

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

plus you can always use them to actually clean a pipe!

R

Rach70

Hey Rach! I noticed you on another thread as well.
Welcome to the site! Were glad to have you!
Glad to see you're well on your way to growing also!
Keep me posted on your progress!
Look forward to seeing how your plants turn out :)

Thanks for the welcome!

My lights just got flipped, so as soon as I have a couple pretty flowers, I'll start posting some pics :) I'm pretty excited, I've grown outdoors off and on for years, this is my first one inside. Wow! What a difference! lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom