Magical Terpenes: What Medical Effects Do They Have???

• Thread starter DGP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DGP

DGP

I was studying various extraction techniques when I came across someone using low pressure liquid CO2 in a test tube extracting D-Limonene from citrus peels. Some folks are using it for so-called "herbal Medicine". Many essential oils are out there but sometimes it is hard to find solid evidence that they are effective though.

Then in researching the effects of D-Limonene, I came across papers (lots of them) published and listed in the NIH that consistently show evidence of monoterpenes and triterpenes having anti-cancer effects.

The other interesting thing is it is relatively easy to extract these terpenes even with simple distillation from many plants naturally and I can't help but wonder how much benefit these have and if medical cannabis could be enhanced with additional natural terps.

Rick Simpson and many others including Dr. Raphi Mechoulam (who isolated THC in 1964) speak of the potential of THC to kill cancer and you hear a lot about CBD and to some extent CBN but I never hear much talk among the medical community about terpenes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3182282/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21196213
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7987974

BTW, it is interesting that there are all these reference materials on a US government web library regarding the benefits of terpenes but the same government still classifies cannabis as "of no medical use".....Do they think these materials don't exist in cannabis?

What I am really interested in is how the various components of cannabis work together for good. If we knew how they worked (especially any complex interactions) we could select strains for various uses with better precision. It would also allow us to do more targeted selective breeding to get the medicine tailored to a specific medical condition.

About Dr. Mechoulam: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raphael_Mechoulam

Toaster79

Toaster79

DGP

DGP

Crowell PL1, Elson CE, Bailey HH, Elegbede A, Haag JD, Gould MN.
Author information
Department of Human Oncology, University of Wisconsin-Madison 53792.
Abstract
d-Limonene has efficacy in preclinical models of breast cancer, causing > 80% of carcinomas to regress with little host toxicity. We performed a pilot study on healthy human volunteers to identify plasma metabolites of limonene and to assess the toxicity of supradietary quantities of d-limonene. Seven subjects ingested 100 mg/kg limonene in a custard. Blood was drawn at 0 and 24 h for chemistry-panel analysis and at 0, 4, and 24 h for limonene-metabolite analysis. On-line capillary gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS) analysis indicated that at least five compounds were present at 4 h that were not present at time zero. Two major peaks were identified as the rat limonene metabolites dihydroperillic acid and perillic acid, and two minor peaks were found to be the respective methyl esters of these acids. A third major peak was identified as limonene-1,2-diol. Limonene was a minor component. At a dose of 100 mg/kg, limonene caused no gradable toxicity. Limonene is metabolized by humans and rats in a similar manner. These observations and the high therapeutic ratio of limonene in the chemotherapy of rodent cancers suggest that limonene may be an efficacious chemotherapeutic agent for human malignancies.

PMID:

______________________________________________________________________________________
80%! this should have gone into full on trials. Why not continue on???

DGP

DGP

I did the experiment that was described in the video. Was interesting to watch the reaction and the solid CO2 go to liquid instantly. I want to try this with other plant materials.....

DGP

DGP

_________________________________________________________________________________
Anticancer Agents Med Chem. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2014 May 12.

Published in final edited form as:
Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2012 Dec; 12(10): 1281–1305.
PMCID: PMC4017674
NIHMSID: NIHMS578519
Plants Against Cancer: A Review on Natural Phytochemicals in Preventing and Treating Cancers and Their Druggability
Hu Wang,a Tin Oo Khor,b Limin Shu,b Zhengyuen Su,b Francisco Fuentes,b Jong-Hun Lee,b and Ah-Ng Tony Kong*,a,b
Author information ► Copyright and License information ►

The publisher's final edited version of this article is available at Anticancer Agents Med Chem
See other articles in PMC that cite the published article.

Go to:
Abstract
Cancer remains to be one of the leading causes of death in the United States and around the world. The advent of modern drug-targeted therapies has undeniably improved cancer patients’ cares. However, advanced metastasized cancer remains untreatable. Hence, continued searching for a safer and more effective chemoprevention and treatment is clearly needed for the improvement of the efficiency and to lower the treatment cost for cancer care. Cancer chemoprevention with natural phytochemical compounds is an emerging strategy to prevent, impede, delay, or cure cancer. This review summarizes the latest research in cancer chemoprevention and treatment using the bioactive components from natural plants. Relevant molecular mechanisms involved in the pharmacological effects of these phytochemicals are discussed. Pharmaceutical developmental challenges and opportunities in bringing the phytochemicals into the market are also explored. The authors wish to expand this research area not only for their scientific soundness, but also for their potential druggability.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4017674/

I started taking RSO a few years back for a variety of very serious health issues but I also recognize that cannabis oil is like a super food and medicine for not only treating disease but preventing it.

DGP

DGP

Very nice article!

It seems if you were using cannabis to fight cancer for example, then eating terpene containing fruits and vegetables or using extracts of fruits and vegetables would likely be helpful and might even add to the success. That would be an interesting study.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

If you're trying to get medicine from PEELS AND RINDS you've been fed a load of shit by companies that extract scent grade oils from PEELS AND RINDS.

Limonene doesn't come from PEELS OR RINDS, bullshit low grade useless Limonene comes from PEELS AND RINDS of scraps that would otherwise be in the trash where they belong.

This is getting to levels of retardation honestly. "Terpenes come from skins" Yeah, okay, and the French fry is best defined by a potato skin.. D-limonene comes from LEMONS not their skins.

Sorry it's just annoying when half the weed today tastes like a disgusting hipster IPA because it's soaked in lemon peel extract. Lol Limonene comes from lemon... peels?? Lol why do people think like this? Eat some damn fruit. Not the peels,if you haven't caught on. Food is medicine.

DGP

DGP

I was not talking about adding terpenes to anything like flower or even extracts to enhance flavors etc which is becoming popular. Also, I am super skeptical of the essential oil marketing crap. My interest is in real research regarding the benefits of phytochemicals including terpenes. The National Institute of Health has a library of research papers where there are published results regarding phytochemicals and terpenes being used to fight all manner of health issue. There are research doctors who dedicate their whole carears to these subjects.

What I am interested in is how cannabis terpenes work synergistically together with each other and the specific cannibinoids we are often seeking out (THC, CBD, etc.). Also interested in enhancing RSO and it's uses as a medicine by possible using other terpenes with it.

Here is an interesting article from Scientific American
https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...cal-pharmacy-the-healing-potential-of-plants/

From the NCBI (National Center for Biotechnical Research) NIH Library:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7948106
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9478274
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8886131

The purpose of my post was to discuss the interesting aspects of terpenes that show up in plants. Being that terpenes show up in plants to defend against things like fungal infections, pests, microbes and disease in general it makes the idea of using them as medicine or even as a concentrated plant spray for preventing disease, mold, mildew etc in our grow rooms really interesting to me.

DGP

DGP

P.S. I am interested in anything from anecdotal evidence from anyone out there to reviewed papers to double blind study results. I am also interested in evidence that there is no benefit to the chemicals being discussed.

BTW, I love fruit, the tangerines in the Winter especially.

DGP

DGP

so true bro
As I have more time to study I am finding a lot of positive data out there but when it comes to the modern "supplements" market it all seems like snake oil to me. I found what looked like an excellent book on plant based nutrition that discusses mainly the effects of an anti-inflammatory diet (using phytochemicals) but when I found out the author was pushing her own line of really expensive supplements I decided to pass it up. The search goes on but in the meantime RSO has basically saved my life.

D

Top Bottom