main-line topping ******best method******

• Thread starter clockworx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jpf

4: Repeat Step 3 until you have the desired number of colas (keep topping plants until you have 8, 16, or 32 mains)

As Nugbuckets mentioned, each time you top the plant, it doubles the total number of colas. This is because you're essentially splitting a main cola in two with every topping.

So you top a plant once for 2 main colas, top a second time for 4 mains, top a third time for 8 mains, etc.

This chart should help you figure out how many times you want to top your plant in total, and how many colas will be produced. There's more information below the chart about why.

main-lining-chart-number-times-to-top.jpg

Growing Indoors: Top 3 times for 8 colas

As a general rule, when growing indoors under grow lights it's best to have 8 total nodes. This means you will top the plant a total of 3 times, including the first time.

Growing Outdoors or in Greenhouse: Top 3-4 or more times for 8-16+ colas

When growing outdoors it's best to have 8-16 total nodes or more to take advantage of the light of the sun and allow your plants to grow into huge bushy monsters. This means you will top the plant a total of 3-4+ times.

Growing Scrog Style: Top 5 times for 32 colas

When growing using the Scrog technique, I prefer to produce 32 total nodes to get the most out of each plant under the Scrog net. This means you will top the plant a total of 5 times.

I only use the Scrog technique when growing a Sativa dominant strain (as these tend to make lots more secondary branching and "fill out" more than Indica-dominant straains). I always allow the plant to have some time to stretch and really fill out under the net before I initiate flowering.

What does main-lining look like with a ScrOG setup?

Picture Example - Marijuana plant topped for 8 final mains

Before - 4 mains

Before - Side view

After

Same plant after being pruned for 8 mains (and secured to the sides of the pot)

Just a few days later, her 8 new mains are already pointed up and facing the sun

Hi clockworx new to this but loving the results i have 20 afghans started from seed im going to go all out and try this with all of them so can i top one and mainline so i can have 2 tops then if all goes good i will try for the 4 tops im growing indoors cheers

scubascrog

scubascrog

I'm doing 4 mainliners in a 4x4x8. going real tall with 8 colas each.
Trying out some red spectrum during late veg so I can utilize my vertical space.
P1000186
P1000187
P1000188
P1000190
P1000191

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

I thought I would Post a Few Of Mine.
When I 1st started reading the threads on the farm I had found this super topped cropped LST bound for Nugs Thread, and I was hooked on the Baby Bonsai look from then On.
small pots big sweeping curvy branches of Bad azz Budz, What could be better... Thank you to @clockworx for the Knowledge.
11 30 2015 UD 7

12 10 2015 UD 11

12 10 2015 UD 6

Super grow Vibes Farmers
FlyJ

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

I didnt realize this thread was still active, guess i oughta get my gals over here eh @scubascrog

GrammaHydro

GrammaHydro

I spent time reading this thread yesterday and I wann say THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS...lol
I'm gonna play with this...I was getting a lil bored with my grows so this will give me what I need to get a jump start with my internal motivation. :D can't wait to get started.

DOGBUDS

DOGBUDS

I thought I would Post a Few Of Mine.
When I 1st started reading the threads on the farm I had found this super topped cropped LST bound for Nugs Thread, and I was hooked on the Baby Bonsai look from then On.
small pots big sweeping curvy branches of Bad azz Budz, What could be better... Thank you to @clockworx for the Knowledge.
View attachment 556397
View attachment 556401
View attachment 556402
Super grow Vibes Farmers
FlyJ
Not sure thats what main-lining is supposed to look like?

ziplock

ziplock

Thank you for a clear, direct explanation of the process. And your photos do a great job of making it understandable. We are fortunate yo have such a forgiving, malleable plant to work with. I may make a Bonsai next time around.

ziplock

ziplock

I like the concept of mainlining.

I will be applying this process to my first grow.

Just need to wait for a few more nodes to make an appearance.
Would you consider putting the Mainline off until you get a sense of how your plants grow, what you need to do to keep them happy? Adding unnecessary complexity is a prescription for frustration.

DOGBUDS

DOGBUDS

Rmoltis, NugBuckets recommends at least five nodes before topping. The stronger and more thriving the plant is, the quicker it will recover. This process will delay your grow about 2-3 weeks if you follow Nugs directions to the 'T'! Here is a couple examples of my first attempt, now 2 1/2 weeks into flower.

DOGBUDS

DOGBUDS

Ziplock, if you are new to growing definitely get a grow or two or three under your belt. Once you have learned what your particular strain(s) likes you will be better prepared to attempt main-lining... One thing you can do, especially if your space is limited, is topping. You can search on the Farm and learn how to top to create bushes instead of trees... DB

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Would you consider putting the Mainline off until you get a sense of how your plants grow, what you need to do to keep them happy?

No, I'll just have to figure it out on the way.
I haven't had any frustrations so far.
And if I do so I'll take care of it.

I will be working with limited vertical space.
So mainlining will be required to help slow down their vertical progress.

I figure with enough advance research & due diligence. Most people can engineer out most problems right from the start.

Not to say encountering problems is completely avoidable. But rather I think I'm off to a good start.

Rmoltis, NugBuckets recommends at least five nodes before topping. The stronger and more thriving the plant is, the quicker it will recover. This process will delay your grow about 2-3 weeks if you follow Nugs directions to the 'T'

While I appreciate the explanation.
I've already read this whole mainlining thread.
And associated information sources.
And have a good grasp on the concept.

Once I get the 5th or 6th node and start the mainline.
I plan on using that cut of each plant to clone with.
It will kill 2 birds with one stone.

I've got my 3rd nodes growing out now.
Just a matter of playing the waiting game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom